Nova Scotia First Time

Old March 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
TAFKAB

Default Nova Scotia First Time

I'll be visiting Nova Scotia for the first time this summer, via car, and
would like to hear recomendations for a route. I plan to spend four nights.
What's the best "first trip" route?

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM

where would this car trip be starting?

Our you flying in and renting?

Drving in from the US? from Canada?

Chuck

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
TAFKAB

wrote in message
oups.com...
where would this car trip be starting?

Our you flying in and renting?

Drving in from the US? from Canada?

Driving from Massachusetts, and taking one of the two ferries from Maine.
I'm thinking of taking the overnighter from Portland to NS and the Cat back
to Maine. Sound reasonable?

Chuck

Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM

The Cat is expensive and unpredictable. Fer example, it cancels
sailings with no notice, no explanation, no apology and no
compensation. Been there, experienced that. Don't count on them. Drive
to Saint John and take the (dependable) ferry to Digby.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:14 AM
mdrawson

In addition to which the Cat is very rough. We've done the Cat as well as
drive via Saint John, and taken the ferry across to Digby --- both have
worked well. If staying in Saint John, check out the Homeport --- very nice
B&B. In Digby there's the Pines, one of three very nice resorts run by the
province. We've been all around the province several times, coming from the
States.

If you go in via ferry to Yarmounth, do not stay at Lakeside Manor in the
Yarmouth area (very run down altho it reads well on their website). Not
much to do/see in yarmouth, but the drive to Digby up Rte 1 (not the 101)
along the French coast takes you through quaint Acadian villages where
French is the primary language. Digby's an easy drive from Yarmouth.

Digby to Truro (via 101): be sure to check out Grand Pre. Best Western
Glengarry in Truro is an acceptable place to stay.

Be sure to get to Cape Breton. Truro to Baddeck is about 3 1/2 hrs on the
104 (straight, empty open road, speed limit up to 110km/hr) and the 105 once
on Cape Breton. Baddeck is very nice (stay and/or eat at Gisele's) and be
sure to visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.

We usually drive the Cabot Trail clockwise (cut across from Baddaeck to
Cheticamp and go around from there), Cabot Trail is a do-not-miss day's
drive. If time permits, stay at Keltic Lodge at the Ingonish end of the
Cabot Trail (another NS-run resort --- outstanding). Alos if time permits,
check out Louisbourg Fort which is beyond Sydney and a bit out of the way
but worth it.

Baddeck to Halifax is a 5 hr run back on the 105 to 104 to 101. We liked
the Holiday Inn Express in Bedford, just outside Halifax. Halifax is worth
a day of sightseeing --- there's a neat amphibious vehicle tour around the
city and harbor.

Halifax to Yarmouth on the 103 is a longish haul but do-able in one day.
You may want to break it up by stopping at Lunenburg or Mahone Bay (try
Countryside B&B just outside Mahone Bay). 103 is the "lighthouse" route all
along the southwest coast of NS.

There is much to see and do and we love it. We also enjoy PEI and
Newfoundland/Labrador for our road trips. I can provide fuller itinerary
(distances, times, costs, etc) off-newsgroup if it would be helpful.

oups.com...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:53 AM
Frank F. Matthews

The below is way too long for 4 days. Even if you are not counting the
ferry days skip the Cabot trail & Louisburg. They are wonderful but you
don't have time. Stick to the part up to around Halifax.

mdrawson wrote:

[...]

oups.com...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Susan Wachob

I'd say just the opposite. Skip time IN Halifax but don't miss either
the Cabot Trail for 2 or 3 days nor a full day in Louisburg!

Susan

mdrawson wrote:

[...]

oups.com...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
mdrawson

My long post is a bit ambitious for 4 days, in which case I'd focus on Cape
Breton/Cabot Trail and base out of Gisele's www.giseles.com at Baddeck.
Gisele's will run about $135 CAD/night (about $103 USD) not including HST
(tax) with is 15% but which is recoverable for non-Canadian visitors. The
food at Gisele's is outstanding but a bit expensive. You can cheaper but
good eats across the street at Inverary Inn but we prefer to stay at
Gisele's because it's lighter/brighter --- Inverary is dark and caters to
bus tours. There's also a lobster restaurant in town right near
Inverary --- poorly done, stay away.

mdrawson wrote:

[...]

oups.com...

Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:14 AM
Frank F. Matthews

OK I'll try to clarify. 2 days is a quick turn around Cape Breton. A
short visit to Louisburg & he will be hitting the trail hard to get to &
from the ferry. I think that the part before Halifax is interesting
enough and it is a lot closer to the Ferry. Spend a night in Peggy's
Cove and see the place outside of tour bus hours. Save Cape Breton for
a trip where there is time to see the place.

mdrawson wrote:

[...]

oups.com...