10 month old on Canada/New England Cruise?

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Crispee

Default 10 month old on Canada/New England Cruise?

I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on a voyage we are
considering with our 10 month old baby. We'd like to take our dream
cruise with our dream itinerary on our dream ship. We've been trying
to take this trip for years but something always happens. In short,
it's not just any old vacation--we REALLY want to go. Anyhow, our
concerns a

1) 18 hour drive (9 hrs each day) car trip to and from port
2) rough waters of North Atlantic possibly making baby seasick
3) several sea days in which the baby might get bored
4) shore excursions too cold/too much for him

Please, no comments on not bothering other people with a baby on the
ship--we are very conscious of leaving a restaurant, etc. if the baby
is crying or doing anything that might bother others. Any thoughts on
this plan? Does it sound like too much for a small child? Anyone
cruise with a one year old before? Anyone do Canada/New England and
have any thoughts? Thanks.

Old September 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Ermalee McCauley

Crispee wrote:

[...]

IMO, you could do this and have a great cruise experience if you take along
a very reliable and trusted nanny for your baby. Having to keep your child
with you every minute in this environment would not be the best way to get
the most out of the trip. But having your dear baby near all the time would
certainly cut down on stress, both for you and for the child. I don't have
an answer to the seasick possibility, but I'd say your pediatrician might
have an answer to that before you go.
It may very well be that my opinion on this is somewhat clouded by the fact
that I am 'way up there in years.

Ermalee ---many times a great grandma

Old September 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Ermalee McCauley" wrote in message
. ..
Crispee wrote:

[...]

My husband and I took our 10 and 15 year old girls on a Canada/New England
cruise last June, it was wonderful. And I'm a big believer in family
vacations. If you are looking for a family vacation the ports on the
version we took were very stroller friendly, with cute towns at every port.
On one of our excursions a couple attempted to take a baby, about 10 months.
The baby didn't seem to like the bus, and after the first stop I didn't see
them on the bus anymore. If you really want to get out and see things at
the ports you would either want to bring Grama or a nanny and leave the baby
with them, or book private tours that would allow you to stop when the baby
gets fussy. (Perhaps traveling in his own carseat, which was not really
possible on the bus, would make him less fussy.) As for the "dream" aspect.
You would get more out of this cruise either without the baby, or when the
baby is bigger, say 8 to 10 years old. If you really are only going to do
this cruise once in your lifetime I would either wait, or leave the child
with family while you go. If you are going to go again some day, or can
consider this a family vacation rather than a once in a lifetime experience,
then this is a great itinerary for babies.

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM
clint

How can you tell that a 10 moth old baby is bored? Also, there are many
activities on ship for infants!
. ..

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM

With a 10 month old on board with you I gotta tell you this will be
more like a nightmare then a dream. You'll be changing diapers,taking
care of a cranky baby all the time while trying to enjoy a cruise. On
our last cruise there was a family with a small child and by Wednesday
they both looked like someone squeezed them through a knothole. I'll
never forget the look on their faces that night in the Royal Promenade
- they were wiped.

I'd either find a babysitter for a week, a nanny to acompany you or put
it off until baby is older.

good luck

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On 28 Sep 2005 05:49:26 -0700, Crispee wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on a voyage we are
considering with our 10 month old baby. We'd like to take our dream
cruise with our dream itinerary on our dream ship. We've been trying
to take this trip for years but something always happens. In short,
it's not just any old vacation--we REALLY want to go.

Personally, I don't care if you take BABY along or not, I won't be on this
cruise. But you had better consider the dangers of exposing BABY to foreign
diseases of which no immune system could possibly have been built to detect
and control illness. Is that really worth the risk?

Anyhow, our
concerns a

1) 18 hour drive (9 hrs each day) car trip to and from port
2) rough waters of North Atlantic possibly making baby seasick
3) several sea days in which the baby might get bored
4) shore excursions too cold/too much for him

Your concerns are well founded. Why would you want to do this?

Please, no comments on not bothering other people with a baby on the
ship--we are very conscious of leaving a restaurant, etc. if the baby
is crying or doing anything that might bother others.

Yeah, well, the mere presence of BABY bothers others especially in formal
settings.

Any thoughts on
this plan?

I think you're nuts if you want and can dissolve the truth.

Does it sound like too much for a small child?

Absolutely it is? Over the NA? Seriously? BABY gets sick, you could be days
before you get to extensive med care. Staff med personnel aren't
pediatricians.

Anyone
cruise with a one year old before?

Only when people bring them onboard, I refused to take my children anywhere
adults would be bothered, when money was being spent, until they were
socially responsible.
--

"I'm not black, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I could say I'm not
white". - Zappa
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:01 PM
How B

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

On 28 Sep 2005 05:49:26 -0700, Crispee wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on a voyage we are
considering with our 10 month old baby. We'd like to take our dream
cruise with our dream itinerary on our dream ship. We've been trying
to take this trip for years but something always happens. In short,
it's not just any old vacation--we REALLY want to go.

Personally, I don't care if you take BABY along or not, I won't be on this
cruise. But you had better consider the dangers of exposing BABY to foreign
diseases of which no immune system could possibly have been built to detect
and control illness. Is that really worth the risk?

Good point. Who wants their baby to pick up a norovirus?

Also--diaper-age children can be a source of parisitic infection--a
problem affecting many people who work in day care centers is giardia.
Many kids can carry the parasite without being symptomatic.

Washing hands and proper diaper disposal is important--also make sure
baby is scrupulously clean before letting him into pool or hot tubs.
The chlorine isn't strong enough to kill giardia. Other passengers
swallowing a mouthful of pool water could also be swallowing something
else...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...m#risk_factors

How B

Old September 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:01:40 -0700, How B wrote:

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

[...]

"Swallowing recreational water contaminated with Giardia. Recreational
water includes water in swimming pools, hot tubs, jacuzzis, fountains,
lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, or streams that can be contaminated with
sewage or feces from humans or animals."

Swell.

Old September 28th, 2005, 09:07 PM
How B

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

[...]

LOL no wonder my parents would never let me in the swimming pool at
Palisades Park!

How B

Old September 28th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Surfer E2468

Because of just this subject,is why we never go in the water be it hot
tubs,swimming pool,or ocean ,or any other swimming hole,only place i
ever went swimming,was in my own pool at home,no one used it but us and
our son,and grandson,and we were very,very careful to keep it clean