Hawaii Marriott recommendations

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:32 AM
alohacyberian

Default Hawaii Marriott recommendations

"honu" wrote in message
Ihilani's restaurants are extremely pricey; the food at the spa is the
best value. You can go next door to the Paradise Cove luau, if you're into
that sort of thing. By mainland standards, Haleiwa and Wahiawa are short
drives away from Ihilani so you could hit Kua Aina and Jameson's By the Sea
in Haleiwa and Molly's Smokehouse in Wahiawa, but none of these are fancy
restaurants.

Everyone always suggests Jameson's-by-the-Sea in Haleiwa, but, I've always
found the food to be mediocre for the price and it has the atmosphere of a
tourist trap. I like Haleiwa Joe's much better. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:32 AM
alohacyberian

"brenda" wrote in message
om...
"alohacyberian" wrote in message

"JAC" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:08:22 -0700, (Deirdre
Saoirse Moen) wrote:
In article , JAC
wrote:
This will be an anniversary trip for us. We don't want tons of people
around and aren't really into the night life seen. We do though,
enjoy sightseeing and things to do (by car is fine). We will mix that
up with just sitting in the sand also.

Given your criteria, you've made 2 excellent selections. You didn't say

how
long you are planning to stay, so it's difficult to advise you, but, you

may
very well want to visit both islands and stay at both hotels. The only

other
hotels I would recommend for people looking for what you suggested would

be
Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Oahu as it has superb golf and tennis
facilities, Four Seasons Wailea and Grand Wailea which are near the
Renaissance Wailea are also very nice. Or for a very remote and off the
beaten track hotel, the Hana Maui is ideal for honeymooners and

anniversary
celebrations, though it isn't as posh as the others mentioned, it isn't

near
any touristy areas. If you do stay at a hotel in the Wailea area, be

sure to
take the drive to Hana since you like sightseeing. Two other nice
sightseeing trips are the drive from Wailea to Lahaina via

Kahului-Wailuku
and the north shore and then return to Wailea via the south shore, or

vice
versa. And the drive up Haleakala is a must see for sight-seers to Maui.
And again, you are invited to visit my webpages at:
http://keith.martin.home.att.net/vOahu.html for Oahu and :
http://keith.martin.home.att.net/vMaui.html - where you'll find no
advertising, no pop-ups, no cookies and nothing for sale. Bon voyage.

KM

I tend to disagree on your hotel rec's - the Four Seasons is sterile
with a crowded pool area & sometimes snotty staff (gorgeous rooms,
tho!) & the Grand Wailea is a zoo with pretty dinky rooms for what
you're paying & indifferent service. Although, I love their Spa
Grande, among the best in the world! I'm also not a big fan of Turtle
Bay & still looks old & run down, even w/ renovations - guess
different strokes for...

Hmmm, you sound like a travel agent who doesn't get spiffed for those hotels.
;-) KM

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article ,
"alohacyberian" wrote:

I tend to disagree on your hotel rec's - the Four Seasons is sterile
with a crowded pool area & sometimes snotty staff (gorgeous rooms,
tho!) & the Grand Wailea is a zoo with pretty dinky rooms for what
you're paying & indifferent service. Although, I love their Spa
Grande, among the best in the world! I'm also not a big fan of Turtle
Bay & still looks old & run down, even w/ renovations - guess
different strokes for...

Hmmm, you sound like a travel agent who doesn't get spiffed for those hotels.
;-) KM

Hard to get spiffed for any hotel in that price range actually.

Iirc, both properties limit commissions, but the price is high enough
that's rarely an issue.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article , JAC
wrote:

This will be an anniversary trip for us. We don't want tons of people
around and aren't really into the night life seen. We do though,
enjoy sightseeing and things to do (by car is fine). We will mix that
up with just sitting in the sand also.

Given that, any suggestions?

Maui Prince Hotel.

Nice beach, in a quiet area (south of pretty much everything else), but
driveable to all the fun stuff that's not on the resort.

It also tends to price a bit better because it IS a bit off the beaten path.

Usual disclaimer: I work for a travel wholesaler, book Hawaii travel for a
living, but I don't sell direct to customers, so have no potential stake.

Old September 27th, 2003, 10:42 PM
brenda

"JAC" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:08:22 -0700, (Deirdre
Saoirse Moen) wrote:
In article , JAC
wrote:
[...]

I'm not a travel agent & if 'spiffed' means paid commission, I would
imagine the Four Seasons & Grand Wailea pay commissions in full as do
other major hotels. I'm just a hotel freak - I admit it...
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:45 PM
brenda

"honu" wrote in message . ..
Ihilani's restaurants are extremely pricey; the food at the spa is the
best value. You can go next door to the Paradise Cove luau, if you're into
that sort of thing. By mainland standards, Haleiwa and Wahiawa are short
drives away from Ihilani so you could hit Kua Aina and Jameson's By the Sea
in Haleiwa and Molly's Smokehouse in Wahiawa, but none of these are fancy
restaurants.

Wailea and adjoining Kihei are, on the other hand, replete with good
restaurants.

The Spa no longer serves food - and the Ihilani Concierge sent us
there after showing us the menu - was pretty funny - same hotel & only
feet away & they're sending us to a restaurant that doesn't exist
anymore!