South America or Central America

Old January 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Default South America or Central America

Should I visit South America (Bolivia & Peru) or Central America
(Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, & Mexico) from mid-May to mid-June and
why? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old January 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Gareth Magennis

I visited both and much preferred Central America. Mainly because I was
backpacking and there are lots more backpackers there. And most of them
agree with me. Also it's warmer (not in the Andes) so there is more
opportunity to hang out outside in hammocks etc. and meet people. It seems
less touristy altogether and just less developed and more laidback.

If you're into organised tours or treks, good hotels, spending lots of
money, you may prefer the south.

Gareth.

ups.com...

Old January 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I love ancient ruins, hiking, learning about cultures, and trying new
foods. I want to go on a trip that has good weather: not too cold, not
too much rain, and generally blue skies.

Old January 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Pierre_St_Germain

wrote in message
oups.com...
I love ancient ruins, hiking, learning about cultures, and trying new
foods. I want to go on a trip that has good weather: not too cold, not
too much rain, and generally blue skies.

Well, we don't expect much do we? Just perfection. I'm worried now that
I'll make a recommendation and you'll be disapointed by a passing
thunderstorm or perhaps a hair in your tortilla soup. Why don't you just
stay home and watch the Travel Channel, then everything will be just fine.

Old January 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Caveat

I love ancient ruins, hiking, learning about cultures, and trying new
foods. I want to go on a trip that has good weather: not too cold, not
too much rain, and generally blue skies.

OK, then I would agree with the other poster that Mexico/Central
America would probably be a better choice for you. (The areas that
would be of most interest in South America are at high elevations in
Peru, and it gets cold up there. Ditto on the Altiplano in Bolivia).
You will not get cold touring the Mayan sites in the Yucatan ;-).

You didn't say where you will be coming from, but if you are coming
from the north there are many worthy ancient sites in central Mexico.
A visit to the Archaeological Museum in Mexico City would add a great
deal to your understanding of the ancient cultures throughout the
region. Plus, Teotihuacan is nearby and very definitely worth a visit.

Other interesting sites on the way to the Yucatan would be Oaxaca
(Monte Alban), La Venta (Olmec site), and Palenque. Once on the
Yucatan Peninsula, the Mayan ruins can be found everywhere from the
Merida area (Uxmal, Chichen Itza) south into Guatemala (Tikal) and
beyond. There are many more -- some still being excavated.

Of course there is lots more to see and do in these areas other than
visit the archaeological sites. Guatemala is especially interesting in
the Antigua - Chichicastenango area. Good camping, too, with views of
active volcanoes. Weather is altitude-dependent in this region. The
highlands are very pleasant, and the coastal regions hot and humid in
the May-June period and you can expect rain.

Caveat
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Didn't anyone ever teach you any manners?

Old January 27th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Caveat,

Thanks for the info. Tucan Travel (www.tucantravel.com) has a trip that
covers all of what you described in Central America and more! I am
torn between that trip and one that covers much of Peru and part of
Bolivia, hitting the major sites in each. I wanted to go to the Andes
since the mountains are higher there and I could do the Inca Trail
hike, but the way American Airlines does their mileage in the peak
season it would cost me 60K miles to do that trip, where as the Central
Amiercan trip would only cost 35K miles. I am finishing graduate
school in May and starting a new job in August, so I thought it may be
good to visit Peru and Bolivia now since they are more remote than
Central America. The trip in Central America lasts 34 days and the
trip in Peru and Bolivia lasts 28 days. However, the trip in Central
America is a little cheaper. I plan to go mid-May to mid-June. I'm
not asking for perfection every day, but I don't want the constant
dreariness I experienced in London last March.

Old January 31st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Georgette

I'd advise Central America as well... I did 6 months with a backpack
there, betwen undergrad and grad school. Much cheaper, lots of fellow
travelers if you get lonely, but lots of less-well-traveled places if
you prefer to get off the gringo trail. If you have more specific
questions, feel free to email me.

Georgette