On A Trip To Alaska

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Default On A Trip To Alaska

Hi Ed. ...I lived for many years on the Queen Charlotte Islands (Just
south of the pan handle); thus , have taken numerous ferry trips to
Prince Rupert and inside passage to Vancouver Island. ...I have found
that even on the hottest summer days it can be quite cool on deck (this
is why I always cruise down south ;-) ...Further, unless you are lucky,
you'll be cruising through some of the wettest (rainiest) areas of
Canada. ...And watch out for those mosquitos when you hit land.
...They're as big as eagles. ...Jon

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Sylvia M

wrote in message
Hi Ed. ...I lived for many years on the Queen Charlotte Islands (Just
south of the pan handle); thus , have taken numerous ferry trips to
Prince Rupert and inside passage to Vancouver Island. ...I have found
that even on the hottest summer days it can be quite cool on deck (this
is why I always cruise down south ;-) ...Further, unless you are lucky,
you'll be cruising through some of the wettest (rainiest) areas of
Canada. ...And watch out for those mosquitos when you hit land.
..They're as big as eagles. ...Jon

So mosqueto repellant too?
Also true in early September?
Sylvia

Sylvia

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
JLeary256

those mosquitos when you hit land.
..They're as big as eagles. ...Jon

So mosqueto repellant too?
Also true in early September?
Sylvia

Sylvia

Nope- few bugs then.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Sylvia M

those mosquitos when you hit land.
..They're as big as eagles. ...Jon

So mosqueto repellant too?
Also true in early September?
Sylvia

Nope- few bugs then.

Big sigh of relief...one less thing to pack!

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Lee

"Sylvia M" wrote in message thlink.net...

So mosqueto repellant too?
Also true in early September?
Sylvia

Sylvia

We were so ready for the mosquitos (state bird of Alaska and all
that). I don't think we came across even one mosquito, in our two
weeks (August) in the state. We had head nets, DEET...you name it.
Didn't need to use anything at any time.

Lee

Old May 12th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Mason Barge

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:42:54 -0400, Ana Kurland
wrote:

How about May? We're on the Zaandam May 22 and will have some hiking excursions?

Yeah, sorry to say the snow mosquitoes come out in full force in
mid-May. These are the largest of Alaska's 28 breeds of mosquito.

Interesting tidbit -- An Alaskan entomologist has speculated that a
human being, naked on the North Slope without insect protection,
during the height of mosquito season, would die from blood loss in
three hours.
Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Ana Kurland

Thanks! At least I'll be prepared!
Ana, 9 days to the Zaandam

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM
0 O

WE WILL BE ON HAL STATENDAM MAY 22 -- 5TH ALASKA CRUISE == NEVER BEEN
BOTHERED WITH BUGS . MAY BE CAMPERS HAVE TROUBLE ?