Cape York or Kakadu

Old December 8th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Bram C. Vogelaar

Default Cape York or Kakadu

Good morning travellers,

I'm going to Australia from the end of April till the end of May. I
would like to spend a few day in the pure Autralian wilderness, to
experience the feeling of Bush Tucker man ;-)

I can't figure out what will be a 'better' option"
1) From Cairns to the northern tip of Cape York, for example
http://www.wilderness-challenge.com.au/cy07a.html

Or

2) Safari Tour from Darwin to Kakadu and Arnhem land, for example
http://www.oztravel.com.au/travel_ma..._KakLKAAL.html

Are there any people around here who has done such a tour? Is there a
big difference in the landscape and wild life? Any tips or website's
with pictures? It's hard to decide when you've never been there...

Thanks in advance,

cheers,

Bram
The Netherlands
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Downunder

"Bram C. Vogelaar" wrote in message
[...]

Hate to say that unless you are in you own 4WD and capable of heading cross
country, there won't be too much isolation in the wilderness at either
choice. Listening to the radio the other day about a couple running a store
on the Gibb River Road in the Kimberlys (Western Aust) They get 200 people a
day stopping in - that was far less travelled a road when I was there than
the following year when I spent 3 months on Cape York.

Of course not seeing a town with more than 200 people for 1,000km might be
wilderness for you.

I'd pick the Cape ans try to choose a small personalised tour that has a
degree of exclusive access to some properties. You will get a good feeling
for it then.

Your example for the Cape does not have that - just all the high traffic
stopovers... Sorry cannot advise of any operators at this stage - others
might know.

Matt

Old December 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Mike McBain

Bram C. Vogelaar writes:

would like to spend a few day in the pure Autralian wilderness, to
experience the feeling of Bush Tucker man ;-)

I can't figure out what will be a 'better' option"
1) From Cairns to the northern tip of Cape York, for example
http://www.wilderness-challenge.com.au/cy07a.html

2) Safari Tour from Darwin to Kakadu and Arnhem land, for example
http://www.oztravel.com.au/travel_ma..._KakLKAAL.html

(2) is for grannies. Probably 20,000 people a year do that trip,
most of them in air-conditioned buses.

Go for option (1). Cape York Peninsula is still part of the frontier.

Old December 8th, 2004, 01:08 PM
chubby

Hi Bram
I would go Cape York it will be more remote than Kakadu to get away from
it all Kakadu when I was there 4year ago there was more mozzies and people
and crocs than going up the cape .Both trips would be good to go on in
Kakadu it is more wet lands and swamps and a lot more aboriginal paintings
on rock faces. Up the cape it will be more remote and harsh and you will
not see as many people there will be river crossings and you will see
crocs and when you get to the top it is some feeling to stand on the top
of Australia and look out to sea but do a tour it is best and you will
learn a lot as you go Oztours is what we went on up the cape and we did
our own thing in Kakadu it was in May we did both trips hope this
helps.There is not many web sites with pictures try
http://www.australianexplorer.com.au it may have bit of written imfo

Old December 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM
chubby

I would book now that way you will get the pick of what you want May should
be good weather wise we used oztours but you pick the one you want they
all should be ok just read what they give you and pick the best

Old December 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM
chubby

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Downunder

If they go to 'exclusive locations' this would be your preference.

I have looked at the list in your other post. ALL the tours stay at the same
places overnight - imagine - at Bramwell Station for instance, having six or
more 'safari tours' all arriving to stop at the same place. Crowded or what!

If you do some more research and post here I'll happily give some commen on
the tours.

Matt
www.reservationheaven.com

lkabouttravelling.com...

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Downunder

If they go to 'exclusive locations' this would be your preference.

I have looked at the list in your other post. ALL the tours stay at the same
places overnight - imagine - at Bramwell Station for instance, having six or
more 'safari tours' all arriving to stop at the same place. Crowded or what!

If you do some more research and post here I'll happily give some commen on
the tours.

Matt
www.reservationheaven.com

lkabouttravelling.com...

Old December 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Bram C. Vogelaar

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:14:50 +1000, "Downunder"
wrote:

If they go to 'exclusive locations' this would be your preference.

I have looked at the list in your other post. ALL the tours stay at the same
places overnight - imagine - at Bramwell Station for instance, having six or
more 'safari tours' all arriving to stop at the same place. Crowded or what!

Mmhh, good argument, I didn't notice yet.

[...]
If you do some more research and post here I'll happily give some commen on
the tours.

Thanks, I'll definitly will post the tour operater here...

Bram