Payment in Austalia^

Old December 15th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Ron

I was in NZ earlier this year and took travellers' cheques (in both US and
Cdn $), and they worked fine....could cash them at any bank (of which there
are lots of branches) with no commission charges. And I was able to get the
cheques commission-free at this end. And I've often used TC's when
travelling in the US, also with no commission charges.

(I've also used credit cards, both in US and NZ. Banks tack on a foreign
exchange commision on credit card transactions, and the fee can vary by
bank/credit card. In a (limited) direct comparison of transactions in NZ
between TC and credit card, I found the TC's provided a better deal.
However, this is a very limited example so I wouldn't want to suggest any
generalized conclusions. And I found it certainly pays to shop around a bit
for exchange rates. There can be quite significant differences between
various banks, and certainly between banks and non-bank foreign exchange
places, even between places that are literally across the street or around
the corner from each other, usually with posted rates in the windows.)

However, per : www.cashmycheques.com (for Visa cheques), and per comments
from others, the situation is different in Australia. TC's all seem to
attract a commision charge, even from banks that charge no commissions in
NZ.

Not sure why this is--would be interested in comments. Stronger drive by the
financial sector in Oz to get rid of paper transactions? Less competition?

Anyway, just passing on this observation.

Ron

(to respond directly, delete the prot)

"Marco" wrote in message
hi all

what kind of payment is recommended in Australia.

thanks
marco

Old December 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM
just us

I would not bring American Express or Diners Card, both are widely refused
in Aussie, due to them being way over the top in their fees.
Our firm wont touch either, Visa or Mastercard seem universal.

Old December 15th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Andrew Venor

just us wrote:
I would not bring American Express or Diners Card, both are widely refused
in Aussie, due to them being way over the top in their fees.
Our firm wont touch either, Visa or Mastercard seem universal.

As a counter point, I was able to use my American Express Card without
any problems on most of my purchases when I was on vacation in Melbourne
last month. Out of all the merchants I talked to I found only one
petrol station owner who complained about the AmEx fees, but he accepted
the card.

You'll find that most businesses have stickers on the front window
showing what cards they accept. So before buying I know that if they
didn't accept AmEx they would take my Visa card instead.

ALV

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Peter Konnecke

Visa or Cash ... depending on what you are buying. Hotels and Car
Rentals need credit cards. Online purchases of travle products also
need credit cards. Other than those cash is loved by most people. :-)