US to Italy Trip ?'s

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Shabby

Default US to Italy Trip ?'s

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up those
days?

Thanks in advance,

Shabby

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Trish

"Shabby" wrote in message
newsNMPd.29914$Dc.11478@trnddc06...
2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good
enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up
those days?

Presuming this is a serious post...

1. Flying into Venice on a Friday, following a trans-continental AND a
trans-Atlantic flight?
Leaving three days later? Doesn't sound reasonable at all.

2. Expedia is fine, though a travel agent might point out that your trip is
on the short side.

3. End of May beginning of June is fine.

4. Your itinerary is ridiculously tight, to be honest. Go to one city and
stay there for the three days.

--
Trish
Dublin, Ireland

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Lauri Levanto

"Trish" kirjoitti

"Shabby" wrote in message
newsNMPd.29914$Dc.11478@trnddc06...
2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good
enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up
those days?

Presuming this is a serious post...

1. Flying into Venice on a Friday, following a trans-continental AND a
trans-Atlantic flight?

There are direct flights from Seattle and Vancouver to Europe, but via New
York might be cheaper.

Lauri

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:51 PM

I assume that you mean you have a week and two days not counting flight
times, since you will arrive on saturday.and probably be exhausted from
the flight. So that's really only seven full days, and I'd recommend
you not try to see more than two of those cities in that little time.
I would recommend Venice (2) Rome (5) unless you're very interested in
art, in which case you should do Florence (2) Rome (5).

Don't use Expedia for flights to Europe. Try statravel.com, or look on
travelzoo.com for deals to Italy.

Old February 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Ken Blake

In newsNMPd.29914$Dc.11478@trnddc06,
Shabby typed:

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and
returning on Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to
Rome,
fly home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia
good
enough?
3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you
split
up those days?

From one Friday to the following Sunday? That gives you less than
one day, and your schedule is impossible.

So my guess is that you mean from Friday to a week from the
following Sunday? That gives you about 7-1/2 days. It's possible,
but I think 7-1/2 days is far too little time for three such
major sites. You could profitably spend the entire time, or even
more, in any one of the three. Two to three days each will give
you only the merest taste of what's in each.

If it were me, I would pick two of these cities at most. Even 3-4
days in one of these cities is very little. Less, as is so
frequently the case, is more.

With regard to your specific questions:

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to
Rome,
fly home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

Yes. Or in the opposite oder.

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia
good
enough?

I book all flights myself, and never use a travel agent. It just
costs more with a travel agent, and they provide no extra value.

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

That should be fine.

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you
split
up those days?

We all like to travel differently. For *me* it's much too tight.
See above.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 13th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Rog'

"Shabby" wrote...
2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and
returning on Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

You must mean that you'll arrive one weekend and leave the
next weekend. In which case, its tight but similar to my plan
.... Arrive AM Monday, 2N (M+T) in Rome.
Mid-day train to Florence on Wed for drive thru Tuscany
-- 2N in Radda and 1N in Florence.
AM train to Venice on Sat for 1N (Sat).
Fly back to Rome on Sun for last night.

Old February 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:13:41 GMT, "Shabby" wrote:

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up those
days?

Thanks in advance,

Shabby

Ignore what the others say, they are just envious.

Your itinerary is perfectly reasonable. You don't need more that an
hour or two for those cities. You could even squeeze in a side trip to
Pisa!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:24 PM
jcoulter

"Shabby" wrote in newsNMPd.29914$Dc.11478@trnddc06:

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning
on Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome,
fly home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good
enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up
those days?

Thanks in advance,

Shabby

YOu are serious????? you fly friday and land Sat morning I am not sure
you can even get to Rome in the same day if you stop in florence for
much more than lunch (and at that rate you just skipped from the airport
in Venice to the maestre terminal and never made it to the island
itself.

Ok so you make rome by let us say 5 in the afternoon, you then have a
flight home aroun 10 am on sunday (for West coasst you can't take an
afternoon flight.

And no a TA can't help you on this one a Psychiatrist or Clinical
Psychologist, perhaps but not a TA

To be honest even Round Trip Rome would cause heads to spin but if you
must that gives you a day in Rome
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Shabby

Sorry for not saying this better. Friday, May 27th departure and June 5th
return. So I am basically now wondering if I can see 3 cities Fly into
Venice, train to florence, and Rome in this time schedule?

I can just fly into Venice and train to Rome to split the trip up, but
thought a bit of Florence might break the train ride and give a glimpse.

Thoughts now?

- Shabby