US to Italy Trip ?'s

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Rog'

"Shabby" wrote...
Sorry for not saying this better. Friday, May 27th departure
and June 5th return... I can just fly into Venice and train to
Rome to split the trip up, but thought a bit of Florence might
break the train ride and give a glimpse.

Shab, we'll likely pass you on the tracks, going the other way.
We arrive in Rome on Monday (May 30) and thence head for
Florence/Tuscany & Venice. I return to Rome for a night at
the Airport Hilton on Sunday (Jun 6) before my flight home.

I've been to Italy 3x before. IMO, your plans are eminently
do-able if you plan well and make your museum reservations
and book tours ahead of time. -R-

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM
OughtFour

Shabby wrote:
Sorry for not saying this better. Friday, May 27th departure and June 5th
return. So I am basically now wondering if I can see 3 cities Fly into
Venice, train to florence, and Rome in this time schedule?

I can just fly into Venice and train to Rome to split the trip up, but
thought a bit of Florence might break the train ride and give a glimpse.

Thoughts now?

I think you can do this, if you are not too fussy about what you mean by the
word "see."

Venice is a lovely place to walk off jet lag. Florence in some way a jarring
(but fascinating) contrast to Venice. Rome is magnificent, and you really
would barely scratch the surface even if you spent your entire week there.

The rail connections are certainly very good.

Have a great trip!

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
PTRAVEL

"Shabby" wrote in message news:tPTPd.6247$uc.416@trnddc01...
Sorry for not saying this better. Friday, May 27th departure and June 5th
return. So I am basically now wondering if I can see 3 cities Fly into
Venice, train to florence, and Rome in this time schedule?

I can just fly into Venice and train to Rome to split the trip up, but
thought a bit of Florence might break the train ride and give a glimpse.

Thoughts now?

Yes. You have only 8 nights for this trip. If you depart the US on the
27th, you'll arrive the 28th. Depending on what time your flight arrives,
at least half the day is shot (most US flights arrive in the morning, it
will be at least 10 am before you get to your hotel). Your departure date
on June 5th is shot as a travel day. This leaves you exactly 7 full days.
That's not very much time.

If you insist on doing more than one city (and 7 days isn't a lot for a city
like Rome), then fly into Venice, spend two nights (one full day), train to
Rome and depart from there. Don't bother stopping in Florence which, though
a beautiful city, will eat another two travel days.

- Shabby

Old February 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Mimi

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
t...

"Shabby" wrote in message
Sorry for not saying this better. Friday, May 27th departure and June 5th
return. So I am basically now wondering if I can see 3 cities Fly into
Venice, train to florence, and Rome in this time schedule?

Thank god it's not one weekend. It takes me that long to recover from jet
lag (9 hours time difference).

Also, congratulations on getting open jaw air tickets. That will save a lot
of travel time.

If you insist on doing more than one city (and 7 days isn't a lot for a
city like Rome), then fly into Venice, spend two nights (one full day),
train to Rome and depart from there. Don't bother stopping in Florence
which, though a beautiful city, will eat another two travel days.

I agree with Shabby's advice in general. But I'd put another day in Venice.
Lots to see, a nice place to recover from jet lag. And one day more or less
in Rome probably doesn't make much difference.

Sightseeing in Venice is more relaxing than sightseeing in Rome, where there
is so much to see.

Marianne

Old February 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM

28 - arrival in Venice
29 - Venice
30 - Venice, take an evening train to Florence
31 - Florence
1 - Florence, take an evening train to Rome
2 - Rome (Ancient sites)
3 - Rome (St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum)
4 - Rome (Baroque Rome)
5 - departure from Rome

It's possible, but it does cram a lot into a short time. You might
enjoy your trip more if you stick to two cities.

The must-sees in Venice are the Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Church.
Other than that, just wandering around is a great experience.

The must-sees in Florence are the Uffizi Gallery and Duomo, but while
those are the highlights there are loads of great artworks in many
museums and churches in that city.

Old February 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

28 - arrival in Venice
29 - Venice
30 - Venice, take an evening train to Florence
31 - Florence
1 - Florence, take an evening train to Rome
2 - Rome (Ancient sites)
3 - Rome (St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum)
4 - Rome (Baroque Rome)
5 - departure from Rome

It's possible, but it does cram a lot into a short time.

It depends entirely on what your expectations are for that amount of
time.

You might
enjoy your trip more if you stick to two cities.

I really don't see the problem, especially as Florence is a stop on the
way to Rome. This practically works out at 2 full days in Venice and
Florence (for me it would be more, as I'm not really bothered by jetlag)
and three in Rome. I would suggest the traveller takes the Eurostar
service to maximise the time- so that makes it about 2 hours 50 minutes
from Venice to Florence, and about 1 hour 40 minutes from Florence to
Rome. In the space of 8 days, that's really very reasonable for travel
time. The OP is being very wise in flying out of a different city for
the departure.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Davide D.

You can do it, you've a reasonable time, but you'll miss Verona !!!

It's a pity !

Davide
www.alquadrifoglio.it

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article pNMPd.29914$Dc.11478@trnddc06, Shabby
wrote:

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia good enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you split up those
days?

Thanks in advance,

Shabby

This will be very hectic - very - and you won't get to see much of any
of them and literally spend half you waking hours on the train..
Seriously - you're going back one day, perhaps you could pick just one?

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Glad to hear that it's 8 days instead of 3!

I think it's definitely doable. You do understand that you will lose
your heart to Italy and return again and again - so this can be like a
quick buffet for you.

Fly into Venice. Since we always feel a little "unreal" after a trans
flight, you will fit right in. We always feel "unreal" in Venice and
love every second of it. 4 days is enough for the first time. You'll
just wander around with your mouth open bumping into people anyway!

Skip Florence. that's another trip and area. Go right on to Rome. Spend
the rest of your time there. And fly home from there.

Feel free to email me at if you want our budget
recommendations for Rome or Venice.

Venice is weird about room prices. Be prepared. It can double one day
from the next depending on their low season "windows" which are very
very short. If you have some slack (and are on a budget like we are) -
plan your trip around (hopefully) the low season window in Venice -
Rome is about the same year round.

Have a wonderful trip! You'll find that the planning is half the fun or
more.

happy travels,

Carol / Brahmama

Rita wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:04:01 GMT, Dan Stephenson

wrote:

2 of us are planning a trip to Italy leaving on a friday and

returning on
Sunday. We live in Seattle, WA now.

1. Plan is to fly into Venice, train to florence, and train to

Rome, fly
home from Rome. Sound reasonable?

2. Should I go to a travel agent for the flights or is Expedia

good enough?

3. Is the end of May/beginiiing of June good timing?

4. Itinerary seems tight - is it too tight? and how would you

split up those
days?

Thanks in advance,

Shabby

Is this poster truly talking about leaving Seattle on a Friday,

seeing
Venice, Florence and Rome, and flying back to Seattle two days later?
I can't believe anyone putting out the plane fare for such a
short trip. How many full days in Italy is that -- one?

Unbelievable!
Does he have any idea of the hours he would spend on a train?

Checking into
hotels? How many hours left for looking around? What madness.

Old February 16th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Joe Pessarra

news

wrote:

[...]

When I read a post, I always feel it is a good idea to read the followup
posts before I respond. Sometimes things get cleared up, and the question
is already adequately answered. Saves me having to respond.

Just a suggestion.

Joe in Georgetown, Texas, USA
Return address is bogus.
Use