How to pack light, some tips

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Saudades

Default How to pack light, some tips

James Silverton wrote:

Another thing to consider is the weight of your suitcase. I discovered
this when one airline started rigorously applying a 50lb weight limit
and I had to take things out and carry them on. I weighed the suitcase
when I got home and it was 20lb: *empty*! I now have one the same size
that weighs 10lb.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

good god! 20lb empty!!!

my backpack alone weighs 500g [a little over 1lb]. with all my stuff
it's a little more than 5kg, at most 7.5kg but that's when i have some
things to give away. battery chargers and toiletries [and *some* common
meds such as immodium, paracetamol etc] are the stuff that weighs me
down. however, on the way back it's bursting at the seam....full of
edibles, coffee beans, and teas [duration of each trip is from 3 to 7
weeks]

also, i always mail edibles home at some point instead of lugging them
around for weeks. it seems every year my bag gets lighter.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
me[_5_]

On Aug 20, 3:11 pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"me" wrote in message

[snip]
Yup. Had to give up my beloved hard side. Thing weighed
17 lbs empty. Switched to one of those "crushable" sided
cases. It was about half as heavy. My toothpaste however
ruptured under the crushing weight of something though.

Try Europe and Asia.

Weight limit is now about 44lb (20Kg) on most flights.

Carry-on limit is about 14lb, and they're starting weighing them...

Last trip to England on VA, my bag was over their limit of about
24kg
(actually 22 but they'd stop quibbling at 24). They watched me
as I took heavy books out of the suitcase, and into my carry on
and into my wifes suitcase (which was below their limit) .
It satisfied them, but I wanted to point out that the plane was still
just as heavy.

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

ups.com...
wrote:
"me" wrote in message

[snip]
Yup. Had to give up my beloved hard side. Thing weighed
17 lbs empty. Switched to one of those "crushable" sided
cases. It was about half as heavy. My toothpaste however
ruptured under the crushing weight of something though.

Try Europe and Asia.

Weight limit is now about 44lb (20Kg) on most flights.

Carry-on limit is about 14lb, and they're starting weighing them...

Last trip to England on VA, my bag was over their limit of about
24kg
(actually 22 but they'd stop quibbling at 24). They watched me
as I took heavy books out of the suitcase, and into my carry on
and into my wifes suitcase (which was below their limit) .
It satisfied them, but I wanted to point out that the plane was still
just as heavy.

Things are bad in the UK air passenger industry at the moment.

The low cost people are pinching loads of the short haul passengers.

The insane security at Heathrow is making transit passengers stay away in
droves.

People like me are actually seriously considering going to Holland on the
ferry rather than catch a shuttle down to Heathrow for an onwards flight (I
won't be, Emirates are now flying from Newcastle)

In a desperate attempt to raise some money a number of airlines have cut
luggage allowances from 23 Kg to 20 Kg on non USA flights and are making
lots of people pay for excess baggage.

It's not going to work, it's going to **** off an awful lot of people and
when the low cost airlines start doing long haul flights people will flock
to them.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Aug 20, 2:32 pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

He also recommends you buying batteries when you need them, which does
rather seem to indicate that he doesn't get off the beaten track much...

Depends what kind of batteries you need... AA cells and 9V batteries
are available just about anywhere.

Not outside tourist areas in the Third World.

Packing for travel to remote regions of the Third World requires real
thought. Packing for travel to European cities doesn't.

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

ups.com...
wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

He also recommends you buying batteries when you need them, which does
rather seem to indicate that he doesn't get off the beaten track
much...

Depends what kind of batteries you need... AA cells and 9V batteries
are available just about anywhere.

Not outside tourist areas in the Third World.

Packing for travel to remote regions of the Third World requires real
thought. Packing for travel to European cities doesn't.

There's very little you can't buy in most European cities.

You can just leave everything at home and take a shed load of cash and a
bundle of gold credit cards.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

He's also never been to the tropics.

You're 20oz Levies are way too warm...

re jeans: ever try to hand wash them ans get them dry? takes about 3
days. . .

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article ,
Markku Grönroos wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

Mine's no good outside the US anyway 8-)

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article ,
"Ian Burton" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

There are tips here that I couldn't follow in a million years, but to each
his own.

One paragraph that turned my stomach is below. I find no pleasure in
tearing up books. Next kommt the burning!

That's silly: I scan pages from travel books and take copies. If I
REALLY need local info, many hotels have some and there's usually a
tourist office around if you're planning on being wherever for a couple
days. For less, you don't need it.

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, the renowned Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
viestissä:nl3jc3pki22123egcss1f7vrbitem9vb0v@4ax. com...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

You never visit anyone when you're on holiday?
You don't have anyone depending on you back home?
You don't need to make reservations at a restaurant when you're
travelling?
You don't ever trip a credit card security flag and have to call?

Any single one of those makes carrying a modern GSM phone well worth
it, assuming you're mostly travelling where they will work.

Of course if your holiday consists of travelling to a set location or
two and staying in a fixed hotel, a cell phone may be a needless
luxury, particularly if you don't have a demanding job, but in that
case, the extra weight is of little consequence.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany