Air Transat Club Class

Old October 21st, 2004, 08:41 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default Air Transat Club Class

I'm planning a trip to Canada next year and
the Air Transat Blub Class offering looks
attractive at around £500 return LGW-YVR
however I havent been able to track down
details of seat pitch and width

Has anyone flown with them and/or have
any hard information ?

Keith

Old October 21st, 2004, 10:58 PM
Claim Guy

Don't do it Keith!

You better call them and have them answer you straight. Failing that, their
website lists numbers of rows of seats in each class - you could compare
that too the same plane with known seat pitch and see what side of the
equation you were leaning to.

I have flown them to the Caribbean and I though I was gonna have to cut my
legs off (economy). Here are some other peoples opinions.

Passenger Opinions Forum
AIR TRANSAT
Add a Comment to Forum

Air Transat - by Marianne Baker

I flew back from Toronto, with my mother on the 3rd October to Gatwick.
Although the outbound flight had been excellent, unfortunately the same
cannot be said for the return. Due to an administrative error a passenger
had been placed in a window seat, who had requested an aisle seat, due to
being claustrophobic and extremely scared of flying. Cabin crew asked
passengers to swap seats as the only other available one was at the back in
the middle. I decided to swap seats, however, the person I sat next to
obviously knew one of the cabin crew, would not move to the window seat (as
I'm not a keen flyer) and then was offered free drinks throughout the
flight. Somewhat of a kick in the teeth for me who wasn't offered so much as
a complimentary drink as a thank you, given that I had saved them a lot of
money as they would have had to delay the flight to remove the ladies
luggage as she was going to refuse to fly! We then got caught in the tail
wind of a plane ahead of us. The whole plane was terrified as it was very
scary. However not one of the cabin crew seemed to be concerned about the
passengers and actually watched my mum trying to comfort the lady she was
sat next to who was hysterical!

Air Transat - by Jane Jenkins

We travelled from Birmingham to Toronto in August 2004. Never again - we
paid £14 each to reserve our chosen seats, arrived at airport early and were
first in the queue - our seats had already been taken (how) .When we
returned from holiday I wrote regarding this and as of today (11/10/04) have
not received any reply. As for the flight, I think they could afford to take
out a few rows of seats give us a bit more room, - and the food and
service, what can we say - words fail me.

Air Transat - by Doreen Saunders

I have just returned yesterday from Toronto to Gatwick & was not impressed.
The flight crew did not bother to do the usual belt-up, seat-up ,tray-up
checks on either run, although there was the usual announcement on the
tannoy. The cabin pressure was well below normal - a half-finished bottle of
water in my pack was severely sucked-in at the end of my trip, and my knees
& ankles still hurt even though I was wearing flight socks. There were no
air-vents on the return flight (on an A330) & most of the time I felt
suffocated. There was no breakfast other than one cup of coffee at the end
of our overnight flight (no refills on offer), and our luggage was
eventually turned out onto a carousel with that of another flight from
Charlotte so there was complete chaos.

Air Transat - by Patricia Munn

Flew Air Transat first time from Birmingham to Toronto. Very cramped with
little leg room (I am only 5'3"!) Food was very unappetising. Service o.k.
The return was a night flight and unlike most airlines the lights were not
dimmed at all so many people had difficulty sleeping. I unfortunately lost
some items under seat when leaving plane and despite several phone calls and
letters have had no response from the Airline whatsoever. I am certainly not
impressed and will not use them again.

Air Transat - by Caroline Lynch

Flew Air Transat recently for the first time from Toronto to Shannon. OK,
they were the cheapest at the time. Otherwise, not a great idea. Universal
check-in for all Air Transat destinations at Toronto meant a massive queue.
OK, I had excess baggage - but although this has happened to me several
times, this was the only time I've been charged. My main quibble, however,
was the constant round of announcements all through the flight. Most
airlines let you sleep on a transAtlantic flight - this captain felt the
need to alert us to something every two hours. In English and French.
Booming over the tannoy. And then the cabin crew would repeat it. In English
and French. Including the breakfast announcement. Lord help anyone trying to
sleep through that row! We had a stopover in Dublin, to take on / let off
passengers. Which I hadn't been aware of. The captain told us we would be
there for up to an hour. Three hours later, during which time we were not
allowed off the aircraft, we finally left for Shannon. I would have arrived
faster if I had got off in Dublin and taken the train! Finally, our luggage
took about 30 minutes longer than we did to arrive at the baggage hall. As a
final note, we were informed over the PA that everyone would have to
disembark in Shannon, including those passengers continuing to Toronto, so
that the plane could be cleaned. Fair enough. Except they got a transit
lounge - favouritism? My recommendation - take the flight to / from Dublin.
The Shannon passengers are treated as second class on the trip to Ireland.
And take a sleeping pill for this leg also. A strong one.

Air Transat - by Gareth Hitchings

I recently flew Air Transat from Toronto to Glasgow. I did not pre-book a
seat but turned up at the airport extra early instead and managed to secure
the same exit-row seat on both the outward and return flights. Air Transat
fits an extra column of seats in their A310 compared to other airlines so
the seats are pretty narrow. Having said that however, the plane seemed new
and was in good condition as were the seats. The cabin crew were excellent.
The food was mediocre but I felt it was perfectly adequate considering I'd
paid less than 1/2 the price for the ticket as Air Canada. Both flights left
and arrived on time. All in all then I'd say I got very good value for money
and a high quality product. I will certainly fly AirTranat in future - sure
it isn't the most luxurious, but relative to what you pay, it's much better
value than AC.

Air Transat - by Michelle Hodie

I recently flew Air Transat from Edinburgh to Toronto. I found the staff
pleasant and accommodating, my seat was roomy and comfy (booked the
emergency exit seat in advance- well worth the £14 extra). I would recommend
anyone to do the same - seats in row 13 are the best, you get more room than
club class. Overall enjoyable flight!

Air Transat - by Robert Heron

We flew from Manchester to Toronto. The Air Transat ground crew at
Manchester were ignorant. In one situation we were waiting for the flight
and one of them grabbed some juice I was carrying and then laughed and
returned it. At Manchester airport they are known by airport staff as the
wanabe pilots because of their attire. We had asked for advice from another
member of their troop and were treated like third class refugees on the
Titanic.

Air Transat - by Christine Bernas

I've flown Air Transat twice, always from Berlin to Toronto and back, and
won't make a 3rd try with this airline. The seats are very small and
uncomfortable and the person in front of me sure felt my knees in her back
badly over hours, since there was absolutely too little legroom. Other
airlines offer around 80 cm and here was just 67 cm estimated. The crew was
friendly and service was mainly ok the first time, but later I had the
impression if you once had closed your eyes for a minute, the crew passed by
quickly without even considering serving you a drink, and you better make
the first round of served drinks, as it was rare they showed up later again
with a selection. On my second flight there wasn't even something what I
could call service, as due to the SARS scare we were just around 40
passengers in a 747 as lots of people had cancelled their Canada trips. To
make matters worse, the plane was 5 hours delayed and put in an extra stop
in Warsaw (the opposite direction to Canada) although I booked a direct
flight. Nobody had called me to announce this change and I practically found
out by myself wondering why the flight duration on the Internet was now
stated with 12 hours instead of 8:30. To come back to the service on this
flight. They basically just served the meals and if you wanted a drink you
either had to get it by yourself or push the service button. Also there was
a wide selection of water, water or water. The entertainment system, well,
the movies were ok, but you better don't select a music channel. Very bad
quality and they play the same tape all over again on different channels
with a little time shift to give the impression of having more than one
channel and to make the Earphones 4 Euro worth you had to pay for. In all I
can say, even at this low fare, I felt the need to ask for my money back.
Flying this airline on short durations might be a good deal, but I'd advice
against choosing Air Transat for longer durations, except you've been a
short person.

Air Transat - by Lucas Tam

I flew Air Transat a couple fo times on packaged vacations to Europe. Air
Transat offered good efficient service. Nothing fancy but nothing to
complain about either. Overall not a bad choice.

Air Transat - by Laszlo Dani

Possibly the smallest seat pitch I've suffered from recently - Toronto to St
Petersburgh.

Air Transat - by Clarice Ryder

I flew Air Transat in the spring of 2003. Never again. The flight was
wonderful, the cabin crew likewise, and my complaint is the administrative
planning. Since I am a senior citizen I like to fly non-stop from Toronto to
Manchester, UK. This was confirmed on my reservation. Then the confusion
started. Phone call #l. The plane will not be leaving at the times you were
advised. Phone call #2. Your plane will be stopping in Gatwick( nightmare).
Request from the airline - please confirm your return flight. I tried - the
recorded message was the number had been changed and I should call 0000-00
(or whatever the number was). Called that number and the phone must have
been in the middle of a hangar as there was no reply. So, I arrived at the
airport at the time suggested for my return flight, only to find the plane
had been boarded and I was taken aboard about 10 minutes before flight time
(and advised I should have been on time) - to Gatwick! When I reboarded at
Gatwick, there was a person in my seat and I found they had changed my seat
for the return trip.

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
I'm planning a trip to Canada next year and
the Air Transat Blub Class offering looks
attractive at around £500 return LGW-YVR
however I havent been able to track down
details of seat pitch and width

Has anyone flown with them and/or have
any hard information ?

Keith

Attached Images
File Type: gif square_bullet-1.gif (59 Bytes, 244 views)
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:58 PM
Claim Guy

[...]

File Type: gif square_bullet-1.gif (59 Bytes, 201 views)
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM
Claim Guy

More...

Username: Canuckpaxguy
From Canada, joined Sep 2003, 302 posts, RR: 21
Reply: 2
Posted Sun Oct 3 2004 21:54:59 UTC+1 and read 1489 times:
First off, let me say you're welcome back to Canada ANY TIME!
Don't forget that a good part of the volume between UK and YYZ
are also Canadians going to visit the UK, not just Brits coming to see us
Canucks...but of course, I wish everyone could come and see my beautiful
country. London is also a very cheap place for us Canucks to connect to
other parts of Europe, Asia and Africa. I'll be flying via LHR for an
upcoming trip to South Africa, so that could also help explain the high
volume of pax.

As for the seat pitch on Zoom and Air Transat....neither are
good. You'll notice it's very difficult to find any seat-pitch data for
Transat. In fact, if you email them the question, don't expect an
answer...I've tried it myself.

If you fly Air Transat, fork over the extra dough for Club Class
if you're taller than 5'0". I'm not a huge TS fan, but I've not flown Zoom
before. A friend of mine did, and while he said the service was superior to
Air Transat, the seat pitch is likely no different.

That aside ... BA and AC have several non-stop from YYZ to LHR
as well as other locations in Canada and the UK. The charter airlines have
certainly had an impact, but it would appear pax volumes continue to be
maintained.

I'm not sure if I've helped you in answer to your question, so
for what it's worth, let some of us YYZers know when you're coming next and
we'll make sure to give you a proper tour.

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
I'm planning a trip to Canada next year and
the Air Transat Blub Class offering looks
attractive at around £500 return LGW-YVR
however I havent been able to track down
details of seat pitch and width

Has anyone flown with them and/or have
any hard information ?

Keith

Attached Images
File Type: gif Canada.gif (967 Bytes, 233 views)
File Type: jpg sendmsgnonactive.jpg (998 Bytes, 250 views)
File Type: gif user_profile.gif (146 Bytes, 243 views)
File Type: gif add_to_resp_users.gif (196 Bytes, 207 views)
File Type: gif suggest_deletion.gif (264 Bytes, 241 views)
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM
Claim Guy

More...

Username: Canuckpaxguy
From Canada, joined Sep 2003, 302 posts, RR: 21
[...]

File Type: gif Canada.gif (967 Bytes, 582 views)
File Type: jpg sendmsgnonactive.jpg (998 Bytes, 621 views)
File Type: gif user_profile.gif (146 Bytes, 204 views)
File Type: gif add_to_resp_users.gif (196 Bytes, 209 views)
File Type: gif suggest_deletion.gif (264 Bytes, 197 views)
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:01 PM
Claim Guy

More....

Traveller wins lawsuit over cramped airplane seat
CTV News Staff

A British judge says airlines must give passengers more space than the
average economy-class seat, after a passenger sued a travel company for his
discomfort. Though the decision isn't legally binding on airlines, it could
open the door to more lawsuits by cramped travellers.

Brian Horan, a 57-year-old British businessman, was awarded $1,140 for the
intense pain he developed in his legs during a flight from Calgary to
Manchester.

The ruling upheld an earlier decision that found Horan's travel company had
failed to supply travel "to a reasonable standard" as part of a ski vacation
package that cost nearly $10,000.

The judge ruled airlines should provide seats with a minimum pitch of 84
centimetres on long-haul flights.

Pitch refers to the distance from the back of one seat to the back of the
seat in front of it. On the flight in question, the pitch fell nearly 13
centimetres short of the standard.

While smaller seats may be acceptable on shorter flights, the roomier
standards should be met for long-haul trans-Atlantic flights, the judge
said.

Most Canadian airlines have economy class seats with seat pitches of less
than 84 centimetres. Seat pitch on international flights at Air Canada
ranges from 81 centimetres to 84 centimetres.

The range is 73.6 to 78.7 centimetres at Air Transat and 73.6 to 96.5
centimetres at WestJet Airlines Ltd., which flies only domestically.

After his flight, Horan initially believed he had contracted deep vein
thrombosis, commonly known as economy class syndrome.

Deep vein thrombosis occurs when a blood clot forms in one of the body's
deep veins -- usually in the leg -- and has been associated with sitting in
a tight space for a long time and the cramped quarters of long flights.

Horan says because he had paid for a luxury ski vacation, he never expected
to be forced to travel in a "veal crate transporter."

Earlier this year, a Quebec coroner's report confirmed Canada's first fatal
case of economy class syndrome. An African woman died in August, 2000 while
travelling from Uganda to Montreal.

Both Air Canada and Air Transat have sections in their in-flight magazines
showing passengers exercises that may reduce the risk.

Old October 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM
Colin Wilson

I'm planning a trip to Canada next year and
the Air Transat Blub Class offering looks
attractive at around =A3500 return LGW-YVR
however I havent been able to track down
details of seat pitch and width
Has anyone flown with them and/or have
any hard information ?

Flew with them 2 weeks ago as economy class passengers. Take sandwiches !

The "window" club class seats were, IIRC, two deep, instead of the three=20
deep in economy, and at a guess, the centre seats were 3 or 4 wide=20
instead of approx 5 in economy.

The food was a *lot* better in club class, but i`m not sure if they were=20
worth =A3350-=A3400 (which is a typical price difference)

Even in economy the seats weren`t as cramped as other flights i`ve been=20
on, and it wasn`t particularly uncomfortable despite the fact I weigh=20
over 17 stone !

--=20