RTW which countries when?

Old December 29th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Andy

Default RTW which countries when?

Can anyone help with my itinerary for a 12 month RTW trip starting on the
1st May 2004, these are the countries which I want to visit, I've tried to
put them in an order to get the best weather in each country. I will be
travelling on a Star Alliance ticket covering 39,000 miles over the 12
months with a maximum 15 stops. Are there any changes you would make and am
I spending about the right amount of time in each country.

Indonesia - 8 weeks in May and June
Thailand - 8 weeks in July and August
Singapore - 1 week in September
Malaysia - 2 week in September
Cambodia - 1 week in September
Vietnam - 2 week in October
Laos - 1 week in October
Hong Kong - 1 week in October
China - 3 weeks in November
Japan - 1 week in November
India - 10 weeks in December, January and February
Australia - 10 weeks in February and March
America - 4 weeks in April

Thanks for your help

Andy

Old December 29th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Henry

Andy wrote:

[...]

Where will this extravaganza start/end?

cheers,

Henry
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Miguel Cruz

Henry wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

And are you sure the RTW ticket is actually the cheapest and most flexible
way to do it?

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Jan

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Henry wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

Are you allowed to double back on yourself... ???

Jan

---

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Andy

Where will this extravaganza start/end?

cheers,

Henry

I live in London and Indonesia will be the first stop

Thanks

Andy

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Andy

"Jan" wrote in message
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Henry wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

In London the RTW for the 39,000 miles and 15 stops is £1783 which I thought
was pretty reasonable. I've been told that you can double back as long as
it's in the same continent.

My main concern is avoiding the bad weather in the different countries.

Andy

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Tommy Petersson

"Jan" wrote in news:bsq66k$aelp$1@ID-
59553.news.uni-berlin.de:

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Henry wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

I also wondered about that.

If we say that the amount of time in each country is adequate (it's
IMPOSSIBLE to say if they are or not without knowing anything about your
interests... well, one week in Japan looks meager, but that can be a
decision based on economy...) I would just split the time in Thailand in
two parts and move around the schedule a bit:

Indonesia - 8 weeks in May and June
Singapore - 1 week
Malaysia - 2 weeks
Thailand 1 - 4 weeks
Laos - 1 week
Vietnam - 2 week
Cambodia - 1 week
Japan - 1 week
China - 3 weeks
Hong Kong - 1 week in October
Thailand 2 - 4 weeks
India - 10 weeks in December, January and February
Australia - 10 weeks in February and March
America - 4 weeks in April

If double-backing isn't allowed, both the original and this itineary has to
be revised...

/Tommy P.

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Jan

Andy wrote:
"Jan" wrote in message
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Henry wrote:
Andy wrote:
[...]

Will they let you go from Japan back to India???
Jan

---

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Henry

Andy wrote:

I live in London and Indonesia will be the first stop

Right. Two things, then. First, 'doubling back' is not a problem with
the Star RTW because all it does is add distance and you pay based on
the distance--so they don't care much about that. However, you should be
aware that any gaps in your air-itinerary still count toward the total
distance of your ticket. For example, if you fly from Oz to Los Angeles
and make your way by train, bus, car, etc. to New York before flying
back to London, the air-distance from LAX to JFK is included in counting
your total, even though they're not carrying you on that sector.

Using the countries and the sequence you described, the following
airport itinerary will get you basically where you want to go:

lhr-jkt-bkk-sin-kul-pnh-sgn-vte-hkg-pek-nrt-bom-syd-lax-jfk-lhr

Now, I don't know if all of these sectors are in fact possible (if there
are direct flights, for example, between Vientiane and Hong Kong), but
just for general information--if you plug this itinerary into the Great
Circle Mapper

http://gc.kls2.com

you get a total distance of 38,456 miles. That might be cutting it a bit
close to your limit of 39,000, since the Star Alliance has their own
system for measuring these distances and it is not quite the same.

Good luck.

cheers,

Henry