Top scenic drives in Europe?

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default Top scenic drives in Europe?

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:08:13 +0100, Dan Stephenson wrote
(in article 2009041221081316807-stephedanospam@maccom):

On 2009-04-11 01:01:14 -0500, Mike Lane said:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:03:35 +0100, Dan Stephenson wrote
(in article 2009040922033516807-stephedanospam@maccom):

On 2009-04-07 00:58:18 -0500, "Tim C." said:

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:37:08 -0500, hackamore wrote in post :
:

I must say some of my most "scenic" drives through europe were the ones
that were largely unplanned.

Mine too. Often too scenic. :-(
If I'm on a touring holiday I rarely book anywhere in advance.

Some of the fun is getting lost and feeling completely free because
there is no particular place you have to be getting to.

I presume anywhere in the Alps are good for scenic drives?

I plan in particular to take the Stelvio pass. Someone else mentioned
a few others.

You haven't said when you're planning to go, but as you may know the
Stelvio pass is one of the last to open after the winter. I was
planning to take it last year but it was unfortunately still closed at
the end of May when I got there. I took an alternative route to Italy
over the Fluela pass which had just opened and although not quite as
high, was still quite impressive with high banks of snow either side of
the road.

Very nice

I was planning to go in late July or early August.

By that time you shouldn't have any problems with snow on any of the passes.
Fog and cloud can be a problem though, also the occasional landslip.

You might also consider taking the minor road north from the Stelvio pass
near its highest point, going over the Umbrail pass into Switzerland and the
picturesque village of Santa Maria in the Val Mustair. That area of
Switzerland is a National Park - very scenic and worth visiting.

If you're interested, there's a few photographs he
http://gallery.me.com/mike_lane#100043

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:22:26 +0100, Mike Lane wrote in post :
edia.com :

You might also consider taking the minor road north from the Stelvio pass
near its highest point, going over the Umbrail pass into Switzerland and the
picturesque village of Santa Maria in the Val Mustair. That area of
Switzerland is a National Park - very scenic and worth visiting.

I'd do that rather than go over the eastern ramp of the Silfserjoch.
There's a 3km stretch of unmade road but it's very firm and dead easy to
drive.
--
Tim C.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:53:15 +0100, Tim C. wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:22:26 +0100, Mike Lane wrote in post :
edia.com :

You might also consider taking the minor road north from the Stelvio pass
near its highest point, going over the Umbrail pass into Switzerland and
the picturesque village of Santa Maria in the Val Mustair. That area of
Switzerland is a National Park - very scenic and worth visiting.

I'd do that rather than go over the eastern ramp of the Silfserjoch.
There's a 3km stretch of unmade road but it's very firm and dead easy to
drive.

I'd like to do it sometime, but I don't like the idea of travelling in that
area in the summer tourist season. Too early (or too late) in the year and
the passes are closed

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:07:51 +0100, Mike Lane wrote in post :
edia.com :

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:53:15 +0100, Tim C. wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:22:26 +0100, Mike Lane wrote in post :
edia.com :

You might also consider taking the minor road north from the Stelvio pass
near its highest point, going over the Umbrail pass into Switzerland and
the picturesque village of Santa Maria in the Val Mustair. That area of
Switzerland is a National Park - very scenic and worth visiting.

I'd do that rather than go over the eastern ramp of the Silfserjoch.
There's a 3km stretch of unmade road but it's very firm and dead easy to
drive.

I'd like to do it sometime, but I don't like the idea of travelling in that
area in the summer tourist season. Too early (or too late) in the year and
the passes are closed

Oh it's not too bad. Weekends are busy, obviously, but weekdays there's
little traffic other than bikers and sports-car drivers that have seen Top
Gear ;-)

--
Tim C.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
sergio

On 31 Mar, 05:05, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hi I am touring Europe by car and am seeking scenic drives.

Let me jump in, though I have not red all the answers you already got.
The Troll Stiegen is very nice, but the StilfserJoch (Stelvio) cannot
be beaten.
If you like mountain roads, I know just about all the most famous
Alpine Passes for having cycled over there for many years. Once you
have planned a route, I will be happy to comment and share my own
experience.

And, if you are indeed coming from North Texas, say from the Greater
Fort Worth area where I lived for a while, get in contact and try to
drop by here.

Howdy (spell?)

Sergio
Pisa