Best Resource For Planning/Booking Budget Family Holiday In Europe?

Old April 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tricky Dicky

Default Best Resource For Planning/Booking Budget Family Holiday In Europe?

Looking to go to Europe this year - probably resort type holiday so the kids
are occupied.

Budget £1000 for 4 - any good websites out there or indeed recommendations?

Cheers

Tricky

Old April 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lao Ming

On Apr 5, 1:52*pm, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:
Looking to go to Europe this year - probably resort type holiday so the kids
are occupied.

Budget £1000 for 4 - any good websites out there or indeed recommendations?

Cheers

Tricky

How about a canned tour?
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Looking to go to Europe this year - probably resort type holiday so the kids
are occupied.

Budget £1000 for 4 - any good websites out there or indeed recommendations?

Cheers

Tricky

For a holiday with kids, campsites are unbeatable for a budget holiday.
http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/ They have fully equipped tents on the very
best campsites in their program, all 4* or 5* sites. You can also
check which campsites they use, then see if the site offers its own
cabins or caravans for rent. There are other operators like Eurocamp,
try google or a travel agent.
We started using Eurocamp with the family years ago, and never took a
hotel vacation again. The possible downside of this kind of holiday is
that you generally need a car to get to the campsite.

T.

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tricky Dicky

"Tom P" wrote in message
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this information. Looks good

Kind regards

Tricky

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Tricky wrote on Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:03:46 +0100:

"Tom P" wrote in message
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

For many years, we (2 adults and 2 kids) enjoyed summer rentals of
condominiums in Swtizerland and the French Alps. Of course, you need a
car to get around but it is surprising how small Switzerland or Europe
is and how much you can reach in one day. Our first rental was at Gstaad
in Switzerland and we left my parents's house in the Scottish Highlands
at Oban, Scotland, flew from Glasgow to Geneva, picked up our rental car
and ate pizza in Gstaad that night. Most of the rentals were in skiiing
resorts where summer is low to medium season and the price was less than
places at the beach in Cape Hatteras. We all liked hiking in the
mountains and visiting places like Bern and Zurich.

As I recall, our favorite company was Uto-Ring of Zurich. It is
generally best to deal with European companies rather than US ones who
tend to charge an arm and a leg for European rentals. At one time, we
compared the catalogs of a US and a Swiss agency and discovered the
prices for the same apartment were numerically identical except that one
company was charging US dollars and the other Swiss francs. At that
time, the US dollar was worth 2 Swiss Francs. Unfortunately, it is a
little late in the year to get a good selection of rentals.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:02:45 +0000, James Silverton wroteÂ*:

For many years, we (2 adults and 2 kids) enjoyed summer rentals of
condominiums in Swtizerland and the French Alps. Of course, you need a
car to get around but it is surprising how small Switzerland or Europe
is and how much you can reach in one day.

Appartments in holiday resorts, equiped, animations for children.
http://www.pv-holidays.com/

Holiday appartment renting association
http://www.gites-de-france.com/gites/uk/rural_gites

http://www.tourist-office.org/
http://www.tourist-office.org/locati...ces-france.htm
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tricky Dicky

"JuanElorza" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:02:45 +0000, James Silverton wrote :

For many years, we (2 adults and 2 kids) enjoyed summer rentals of
condominiums in Swtizerland and the French Alps. Of course, you need a
car to get around but it is surprising how small Switzerland or Europe
is and how much you can reach in one day.

Appartments in holiday resorts, equiped, animations for children.
http://www.pv-holidays.com/

Holiday appartment renting association
http://www.gites-de-france.com/gites/uk/rural_gites

http://www.tourist-office.org/
http://www.tourist-office.org/locati...ces-france.htm

Very good resources. Many thanks

Tricky

Old April 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tricky Dicky

"Tom P" wrote in message
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Thanks for info, Jim

Cheers

Tricky

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
je

"Tom P" wrote in message
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Living in Switzerland I would have hesitated putting that
country on a list for not to expensive vacation, especially
considering £ exchange-rate at 1.7 (down 25% over the
last two years)

The recommendation for renting an off-season appartment
is excellent, I would add http://www.interhome.ch

I have never rented a car in Switzerland (no real idea on
prices), but gas is relatively cheap (compared to Germany,
France and Italy at least), no other road taxes outside the
highway-sticker.
Nevertheless I would at least have a look at
http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste.htm
for railway passes also valid for postal-bus service and
many of the lake-steamers.
Train/bus-network is excellent, lake-steamers scenic
and relaxing. In addition, passes are also accepted by
several museums (open-air museum Ballenberg)
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/c...atzleistungen/
or get discounts (Swiss transportation museum in
Lucerne)

As I recall, our favorite company was Uto-Ring of Zurich. It is
generally best to deal with European companies rather than US ones
who
tend to charge an arm and a leg for European rentals. At one time,
we
compared the catalogs of a US and a Swiss agency and discovered the
prices for the same apartment were numerically identical except that
one
company was charging US dollars and the other Swiss francs. At that
time, the US dollar was worth 2 Swiss Francs. Unfortunately, it is a
little late in the year to get a good selection of rentals.

Definitely an important recommendation. I found price differences
due to not adjusted currency exchange-rates for car and appartment
rentals (abroad)

As for late reservation: looks like this year last moment rentals
might be interesting due to overall economic slowdown

If you are considering flying to Switzerland: check for Geneva
and Basel airports (more low-cost flight than for Zurich).
Geneva and Zurich have their own railway-station (Zurich now
even a Tramway stop in addition to bus and train).
Basel airport is in fact on French territory (Bale-Mulhouse)
and you could rent a car in France rather than in Switzerland
if prices should be lower (but chances then for not having
the highway sticker for Switzerland)