Test message

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default Test message

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:50:40 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:37:56 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:25:41 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:29:41 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:16:09 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

alt.test is global
misc.test is global

unless you are working for your ISP and testing their newserver setup for
them, you only need to be able to post to a local newsgroup.

You can post to any newsgroup your local server stores, and even
if you local news server is not connected to the outside world
for the momen, you will see your message appear. But you have no
way of knowing your local news server is, in fact, propagating it
outerward.

Take a look at the headers on any message you have posted and
notice that they do not tell you your message went anywhere else.

It doesn't need to. If you are using a news server it will broadcast your
message to other news servers by definition. If it doesn't then by definition it
isn't a news server.

The question here was how to find out if your news server
actually is propagating out. The best way may be to send a test
message to a group full of irascible people and when you get a
nasty response you'll know it worked.

Old April 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

alt.test is global
misc.test is global

unless you are working for your ISP and testing their newserver setup for
them, you only need to be able to post to a local newsgroup.

You can post to any newsgroup your local server stores, and even
if you local news server is not connected to the outside world
for the momen, you will see your message appear. But you have no
way of knowing your local news server is, in fact, propagating it
outerward.

so what? Making an ass of yourself by posting test messages in a discussion
newsgroup won't tell you anything you can't discover in a test newsgroup.

Take a look at the headers on any message you have posted and
notice that they do not tell you your message went anywhere else.

irrelevent

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:13:47 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:37:56 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

You can post to any newsgroup your local server stores, and even
if you local news server is not connected to the outside world
for the momen, you will see your message appear. But you have no
way of knowing your local news server is, in fact, propagating it
outerward.

so what? Making an ass of yourself by posting test messages in a discussion
newsgroup won't tell you anything you can't discover in a test newsgroup.

The one difference is that you will see your message in a test
group (or any group, for that matter) even if it didn't leave our
local news server. The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone. At oe time
misc.test did this for you.

You have to think about how Usenet works.

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)

Hatunen wrote:

[...]
The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone.

Or check google groups...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate.
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)-
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On 16 Apr 2009 19:21:26 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]
The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone.

Or check google groups...

That would be the simplest thing to do, I suppose, if you can
stand Googlegroups.

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)

Hatunen wrote:
On 16 Apr 2009 19:21:26 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]
The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone.

Or check google groups...

That would be the simplest thing to do, I suppose, if you can
stand Googlegroups.

There's nothing to have to "stand"- you simply check if your post is
there.

David

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kris Tonastik

On Apr 16, 10:16*pm, Hatunen wrote:
On 16 Apr 2009 19:21:26 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"

wrote:
Hatunen wrote:

[...]
The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone.

Or check google groups...

That would be the simplest thing to do, I suppose, if you can
stand Googlegroups.

--
* ************** DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* ** * * * Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * * * * *

Googlegroups - the best !
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:45:04 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On 16 Apr 2009 20:22:35 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
On 16 Apr 2009 19:21:26 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]
The only way to know your test got propagated
is to get a reply, snarky or not, from someone.

Or check google groups...

That would be the simplest thing to do, I suppose, if you can
stand Googlegroups.

There's nothing to have to "stand"- you simply check if your post is
there.

This thread makes Mixi look even more sensible than he is.

Of course what we should have done was ignore all those who think their NNTP
server doesn't broadcast their messages to other news servers. )

It's supposed to, anyway. I've had a number of occasions when
cox.net failed to do so for some period of time, which is why I
now use a server operated by a listmate.