customs in amsterdam, or marseille, or both?

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT

Default customs in amsterdam, or marseille, or both?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am flying to Marseille via Amsterdam. Where will I clear the
customs? I understand both countries are in the Schengen zone, so I am
guessing I will clear customs once in Amsterdam?
On the other hand, if I don't need to clear customs in Amsterdam, I
assume I still have the option to do it voluntarily so that I can walk
out of the airport? Thank you.

If you are on a through ticket, your bag will be checked through to
Marseille where, at least in theory, it will be subject to Customs
inspection (baggage tags for flights within the EU have a green border
whereas others are plain white). Your hand baggage will (again, in theory)
be subject to Customs examination at Amsterdam. You may really have meant
where do you go through Immigration procedures. That will be at Amsterdam,
whether or not you wish to leave the Airport. Customs examinations are
usually non-existent but Immigration procedures can be time-consuming.

JohnT

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On 18 Apr 2007 00:30:19 -0700, wrote:

How can I be a foreigner - I'm British! The British are never
foreigners!!!

Paah - it's hard work explaining stuff to foreigners!!

B;

You haven't visited the antipodes yet then?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic