Greek Orthodox Easter

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
steve

Default Greek Orthodox Easter

We are considering visiting Greece during the Greek Orthodox Easter
Next year (2008). This will be our first trip to Greece and some
guidebooks recommend against going during Easter especially if this is
your first trip. We hear there may be problems finding places to stay
and that it may become expensive. Also we don't like large crowds and
mass chaos..

We were thinking of being in a smallish town/island (any suggestions?)
where there would be some celebrations but nothing too over the top.
Is this a reasonable idea? Or should we avoid Easter altogether?

Thanks
Steve Gerdemann

Old April 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Apr 18, 3:25 am, steve wrote:
We are considering visiting Greece during the Greek Orthodox Easter
Next year (2008). This will be our first trip to Greece and some
guidebooks recommend against going during Easter especially if this is
your first trip. We hear there may be problems finding places to stay
and that it may become expensive. Also we don't like large crowds and
mass chaos..

We were thinking of being in a smallish town/island (any suggestions?)
where there would be some celebrations but nothing too over the top.
Is this a reasonable idea? Or should we avoid Easter altogether?

That's a perfectly reasonable idea - we just spent Easter in a small
village and there was quite a lot of activity but nothing resembling
chaos - at least, not more than the usual amount of chaos you find in
Greece. As I mentioned in another thread, we did encounter the problem
that restaurants were not serving meat, though veg dishes and fish
were no problem.

B;

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 18 apr, 07:36, Magda magda@eu wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 21:42:09 -0700, in rec.travel.europe, arranged some
electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Apr 18, 3:25 am, steve wrote:
[...]

I loved Easter in Greece! Will have to go back some day, if only to see the pasxalina in
bloom... and meat be damned, it's only one week!

No - I agree - it's not a big deal, especially as the same tavernas
that were not serving meat were happy to sell us a load of paidakia
for us to cook at home!!

One thing that is potentially problematic is travel - on some days it
can be busy, booked-up, etc.

As an aside, after the "anastasis" church service Mrs B lit lanterns
round the house. Next day someone in a shop said "what a lovely idea -
surrounding the house with God's light - is that a British tradition?"
Errr ... no - it was just some lanterns that she picked up in IKEA and
was looking for an excuse to use!!

B;

ps - for the terminally nosy, Chateau Bartlett is the house below the
big tree :-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyrh/463756231/

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 18 apr, 11:52, B wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 21:42:09 -0700, wrote:

That's a perfectly reasonable idea - we just spent Easter in a small
village and there was quite a lot of activity but nothing resembling
chaos - at least, not more than the usual amount of chaos you find in
Greece. As I mentioned in another thread, we did encounter the problem
that restaurants were not serving meat, though veg dishes and fish
were no problem.

Surely it was just prior to Easter that they weren't serving meat,
that is, during Lent. On Easter Sunday and thereafter meat should be
abundantly available.

Yes, of course. On Easter Sunday the air was full of the smell of
roasting lamb!!

B;

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 18 apr, 12:13, Martin wrote:
On 18 Apr 2007 02:55:23 -0700, wrote:

On 18 apr, 11:52, B wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 21:42:09 -0700, wrote:

That's a perfectly reasonable idea - we just spent Easter in a small
village and there was quite a lot of activity but nothing resembling
chaos - at least, not more than the usual amount of chaos you find in
Greece. As I mentioned in another thread, we did encounter the problem
that restaurants were not serving meat, though veg dishes and fish
were no problem.

Surely it was just prior to Easter that they weren't serving meat,
that is, during Lent. On Easter Sunday and thereafter meat should be
abundantly available.

Yes, of course. On Easter Sunday the air was full of the smell of
roasting lamb!!

A bit like our back garden.

Err, yes - more or less identical I would imagine. In fact as I tucked
in to a nice chop, looking over the chestnut trees to the mountains
beyond, I thought "this reminds me of Leiden".

B;

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 18 apr, 11:52, B wrote:
[...]

We happen to have chestnut trees in our back garden, but the mountains are
hidden by cigarette smoke and fall out from Schiphol.

and the curvature of the Earth.

B;

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge1

See ?
Martin, the last poster trying to go on and on and on, trolling around

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:

On 18 apr, 11:52, B wrote:
[...]

and the none so blind factor.
--

Martin