Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

Old August 1st, 2004, 04:30 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Default Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

E.k.R. wrote:

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message newsYYOc.525
Ernie, just how are they going to enforce no smoking in cabins and on

balconies? The Paradise had very strict measures about no smoking and I'm
curious how Oceania will handle this.

--Jean

Jean,
I think it will be very difficult to enforce. Basically it will be up to
the cabin steward to detect if anyone has been smoking, or neighbors who
might complain if they smell smoke on the next balcony. Other then that,
short of making the entire ship non-smoking it is difficult at best enforce
smoking rules.

IMO it would be very hard to enforce. One time I was in the hospital for
my asthma and there was no smoking in the hospital. A patient in the
next room, that I shared a bathroom with, was smoking in the bathroom
and that gained me another 3 or 4 days in the hospital. If they can't
enforce it in a hospital, I don't think they can do it on a cruise ship.

sue

Old August 1st, 2004, 05:22 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"E.k.R." wrote in message
Jean,
I think it will be very difficult to enforce. Basically it will be up to
the cabin steward to detect if anyone has been smoking, or neighbors who
might complain if they smell smoke on the next balcony. Other then that,
short of making the entire ship non-smoking it is difficult at best

enforce
smoking rules.

Ernie,
Perhaps alarms that would go off notifying the proper authorities if someone
lights a cigarette or cigar in their cabin would be a wiser way to do it..I
do not think it would be fair of Oceania to expect its passengers to inform
on each other...not my idea of a pleasant and relaxing cruise and
vacation...

--Jean

Old August 1st, 2004, 05:23 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

IMO it would be very hard to enforce. One time I was in the hospital for
my asthma and there was no smoking in the hospital. A patient in the
next room, that I shared a bathroom with, was smoking in the bathroom
and that gained me another 3 or 4 days in the hospital. If they can't
enforce it in a hospital, I don't think they can do it on a cruise ship.

sue

Sue, did you complain about this?

--Jean

Old August 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

IMO it would be very hard to enforce. One time I was in the hospital for
my asthma and there was no smoking in the hospital. A patient in the
next room, that I shared a bathroom with, was smoking in the bathroom
and that gained me another 3 or 4 days in the hospital. If they can't
enforce it in a hospital, I don't think they can do it on a cruise ship.

sue

Sue, did you complain about this?

Oh yes and so did my respitory(sp) therapist and the nurses. It was one
of them who noticed a strange smell and went hunting it down. I don't
know who was more upset, me or the staff.

It was a young man who was sneaking a smoke and he was given a good
talking to. I don't know what was wrong with him, but he was able to go
downstairs and step outside for a smoke. You can't kick a patient out of
the hospital, as you could of kicked someone off the Paradise(grin).

sue

Old August 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
Tom & Linda

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

[...]

You could make him or his insurance company pay for the 3-4 extra days you
spent in the hospital.

--Tom

Old August 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM
RTCReferee

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

"E.k.R." wrote in message
Jean,
I think it will be very difficult to enforce. Basically it will be up

the cabin steward to detect if anyone has been smoking, or neighbors who
might complain if they smell smoke on the next balcony. Other then that,
short of making the entire ship non-smoking it is difficult at best

enforce
smoking rules.

Ernie,
Perhaps alarms that would go off notifying the proper authorities if someone
lights a cigarette or cigar in their cabin would be a wiser way to do it..I
do not think it would be fair of Oceania to expect its passengers to inform
on each other...not my idea of a pleasant and relaxing cruise and
vacation...

When Jeff first mentioned that he might sneak a smoke in his bathroom if he
were to cruise on Oceania, I called the company and spoke with several people
in two departments to find out how this would be handled, as I am a nonsmoker
and would be interested in cruising with Oceania. Everyone (two were
supervisors) told me that Oceania already has "very sensitive" smoke alarms in
the cabins (one inside the bathroom and one in the living/sleeping areas) that
are set low enough to catch cigarette smoke and that it is enforced, though I
was not told how.

I was also told that their passengers are VERY happy that the ship is mostly
non-smoking, and that they will not be loosening their policy to accomodate
smokers.
They are appealing to a demographic which, for the most part, does not smoke.