made in Japan = costs more in Japan??

Old December 13th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Tchiowa

Default made in Japan = costs more in Japan??

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message ...
Makes no sense, how could Japanese goods cost much more in Japan if it is
made in japan? A camera I own is 400 dollars more in Japan. This makes no
sense since it costs much more to ship that camera to the US, pay
freight+customs. Someone told me the reason this happens is companies
actually raise prices at home and get together making sure no one is
undercutting eachother (ie a oligopoly) something US laws prevent.

Lots of reasons. One of them is "dumping". They charge a slightly
higher price in Japan in order to subsidize exports. Get enough
exports to the biggest market in the world (US) and you can begin
taking advantage of economies of scale to reduce your overall cost.

The Japanese market is saturated in many of these goods so there is
nothing to be gained by lowering prices. So keep the prices high in
Japan in order to have leverage to other markets.
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Alec" wrote:

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message
Makes no sense, how could Japanese goods cost much more in Japan if it is
made in japan? A camera I own is 400 dollars more in Japan. This makes no
sense since it costs much more to ship that camera to the US, pay
freight+customs. Someone told me the reason this happens is companies
actually raise prices at home and get together making sure no one is
undercutting eachother (ie a oligopoly) something US laws prevent.

Others have blamed the arcane distribution system etc that pushes up retail
price in Japan. While this is true (as reflected in the recommended retail
price), the street price in one of the camera discounters like Big Camera is
a lot lower, typically 40% less than RRP. Even that price is undercut by box
shifters/net dealers. While the strong yen and weak $ makes Japanese goods
expensive for US visitor, lowest street price in Japan is roughly on par
with US online deals, sometimes less for things like lenses and other
genuine accessories.

The trouble is that you do have to find your way to these retailers.
Not so easy if you do not know them, or where they are.

I do notice that home-grown megaretailers are appearng everywhere and
slowly dismantling the old distribution system. It'll be ugly for the
mom 'n pop shops.