Travel down the Mekong - Laos to Cambodia.

Old December 13th, 2003, 10:08 AM
lucas

Default Travel down the Mekong - Laos to Cambodia.

Anyone here know if this is possible (for westerners).
I have been to both Laos and Cambodia and am fantasising about travelling
right down the Mekong from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap.

--
Take risks not to escape life, but to keep life from escaping!

Old December 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Eric

lucas wrote:

Anyone here know if this is possible (for westerners).
I have been to both Laos and Cambodia and am fantasising about travelling
right down the Mekong from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap.

--
Take risks not to escape life, but to keep life from escaping!

Hi Lucas!

Possible, though very expensiv. From Luang Pranbang to Vientiane approx. 250
USD. Some parts only possible in rainy season. At the falls in the south
you obviously have to go by land. The French already figured that out.

Takes really long time as well. Because there is no passenger boots anymore,
because of National Road 13 being very good these days and the bus is much,
much faster and much (add some more "much" here) cheaper. So you have to
wait sometimes for a weak or so to catch the next boot.

In Cambodia boot transport is also very expensiv. The normal "tourist rip
off" prices. But might be the better choice than bus. From Phnom Penh to
Siam Riep you can't go on the Mekong for obvious reasons. It is the Tonle
Sap ;-)

Anyway, is this is your dream you should do it.

I have covered most parts of that trip, not on one "Lao visa" though. It is
great.

Would be nice to here more.

Eric
Old December 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM
djinn

Eric wrote in message ...
lucas wrote:

[...]

I've been wondering about travelling down the Mekong from Yunnan to Cambodia.
Do you know anything about travel on the upper Mekong above Luang Prabang?
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:42 PM
George Moore

Hey Lucas. Everything you want to know about the trip is on

http://rectravel.com/tnx

Readers are looking forward to your updates about this trip. Enjoy!

Old December 15th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Ramboi

Thanks for the links, they came in just in time. I lost my links since I
upgraded my PC to a bigger system.

Ramboi

m...

Old December 19th, 2003, 12:03 AM
George Moore

A BBC report about the new road between China and Laos is on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ts/3304723.stm

Other links about this trip are on

http://rectravel.com/din