Car rental in Ireland

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Default Car rental in Ireland

US associates of my husband, need to rent a car from Dublin, for about a
week. Any suggestions on reasonable rental companies to deal with?

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

11.9.2010 3:23, S Viemeister kirjoitti:
US associates of my husband, need to rent a car from Dublin, for about a
week. Any suggestions on reasonable rental companies to deal with?

As subscribers of rte have seen, a disproportionally high number of
mentally disturbed people from the United States project their ill
health in their messages when [cross]posting to the group. Some of them
have been around a decade or so. Pretty hefty portion of their lives
wasted away.

Roughly and clearly more than 50% of all the crazy tirade (about
Lincoln, Osama, Obama, moslems and so worth) originate to news servers
residing inside the borders of the United States.

US Americans constitute a couple of percent of all the usenet
subscribers and yet their share among nut-cases is about 1000% higher.

What makes US Americans so vulnerable to mental illnesses? Is there any
cure for their less balanced behaviour? Is the American healthcare
authority equipped with sufficient resources to rehabilitate these poor
sods? Heal the sick and miserable. Give them some hope to return to
civilisation as robust and independent people capable of standing on
their own two feet.

It looks very peculiar that one relatively restricted (even if large)
area on earth contributes about as many nut-cases as rest of the world.
Quite alarming actually.
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Sep 11, 2:23*am, S Viemeister wrote:
US associates of my husband, need to rent a car from Dublin, for about a
week. *Any suggestions on reasonable rental companies to deal with?

In the absence of an Irish site, they could have a look at
www.holidayautos.co.uk
who have in the past come up with a couple of reasonable
rentals for me in different countries.
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

Say thank you to the evleths who have fired up these kind of postings.

groupe de discussion : ...

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
US associates of my husband, need to rent a car from Dublin, for
about a week. Any suggestions on reasonable rental companies to
deal with?

Watch out for the usual insurance rip-off scam nearly all car hire
companies seem to pull. You can't just simply get "fully comp"
insurance like with a normal car insurance. They'll always include
third party and usually include "collision damage waiver" and "theft
protection", so when you book it you think you're fully covered.

Then when you turn up at the desk to collect they'll explain that the
CDW and TP come with a massive excess (maybe EUR 500-1000) but you can
purchase a "top up" insurance (sometimes called Super CDW) which
waives the excess, but at an rip-off price of EUR 100-200!! They try
to persuade you to take it by insisting on a deposit or reserve on
your CC of the amount of the excess if you don't want it.

Then you may find even the Super CDW has several exclusions, like
windscreens, tyres, underside, roof... You could consider an excess
insurance from the likes of insurance4carhire. Or sometimes credit
cards include it but check carefully.

--
Andy

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Sep 11, 1:06*pm, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this is a peculiarity of car rental in Ireland, but I
find that car rentals (& insurance) there are constantly shifting the
goal posts.

There was a time when there was the choice of the minimum insurance
cover with authorisation to withdraw stacks of cash from your credit
card. 6 years ago, in the UK, the potential withdrawal was around
£3,500 and at that, it was linked to my existing car insurance.

If you went for their full comp, which wasn't called that, then there
would be just an authorisation for fuel and the cost of the insurance.
And the price for the full comprehensive would be determined according
to the levels of excess you'd accept.

Having opted for the full cover, on returning the vehicle, (in Ireland
this time) it was my experience to meet the car rental bloke who would
start marching off to inspect the car, but on seeing I had the full
cover, would stop dead in his tracks and on asking if we had re-filled
the fuel tank would say that there is no need to inspect it.

And now they've gone and done the full swing back to the days when you
have to authorise a withdrawal from your CC... around €1,200, except
this time it's alongside having opted for the full whack insurance.

However, were you to not want to sign off on such authorisation, you
can buy your way out of it by paying around €15 per day... on top of
the full whack insurance rate.
Or, at least, that's what I now think the old drone (well, actually,
not that old... but I wont be needing a Halloween mask) at the desk
was wittering on about. The papers we handed over stated clearly that
we had FULL CDW insurance, but still we were getting what felt like
the usual shake-down to buy... er, full insurance.
But, on reading http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ng.A.Car..html
it seems it was SCDW she was trying to flog, though it didn't sound
like it and, as I pointed out on the document she persistently refused
to re-surface from behind her desk, I already had FULL CDW insurance.

Oh yeah, and then you'll have to sign off for the fuel which will cost
around €80 for a tank that actually only costs around €45 to fill from
absolute empty.

AND, then there'll be the obligatory €900 authorisation in the event
of things being damage that are not covered by the you're-now-covered-
for-absolutely-everything full whack insurance.

And sign off for the automatic Tolls. (in case you pass one)

Something worth reading;
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...n.Ireland.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=...eturnTo=__2F__

You can also check out sites like this one which I found by putting-
353 car rentals reviews - into the search engine.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews186427.html

Oddly, my own experience of that particular rental group remains to
this day as being the BEST experience as far as Irish car rental
****ers are concerned.

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Sep 11, 2:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:06*pm, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:

[...]

not that old... but wont be needing a Halloween mask) *at the desk
But, on readinghttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ireland:Car.Rental....

Something worth reading;http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...:Renting.A.Car...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=...e+ireland+revi....

You can also check out sites like this one which I found by putting-
353 car rentals reviews - *into the search engine.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews186427.html

Oddly, my own experience of that particular rental group remains to
this day as being the BEST experience as far as Irish car rental
****ers are concerned.

I forgot one point;
Put it this way, for the last 5 years and more, we've booked through
a travel agency and the price was an all in Fly-Drive + Hotels deal.
We usually knew what the cost of the car hire was, but in relation to
the documentation to be presented at the car hire desk, there would
only be a file code. It wouldn't actually say, in plain words, what
the cover was.

And so, we were easy prey to the dishonest car hire personal who would
tap tap the details on our documentation into their computers and then
ask us if we'd like to take out further insurance, explain that what
we were booked in with was just a basic package.

And so, we'd cough up. Then, the following year, when re-booking, we'd
mention the experience to the travel agent here and ask to be quoted a
price inclusive of the right level of insurance. At which point the
agency at our end would tap tap in their computer and inform us that
we had been fully covered on the previous trip.
But the same thing would happen again... and again... and again...

So this year the agency at this end went to the trouble of including
some downright plain English in an otherwise Dutch language document.

Personally, I wish that when I arrive at the car hire desk and am
getting the run around or the dishonest car car sales persons hard
sell, that there was a hot line I could phone to report it.
I'd so wish I could then just stand back and watch being draged off in
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

11.9.2010 14:06, Andy Pandy kirjoitti:

In nasty collisions damages to the car usually cost a fraction to
healing the injuries. A chronic patient bound to bed peeing and pooing
in his diapers as long as he lives (45 years or so) will cost millions
if not tens of millions of euros to the insurance company - tyres aside.

Probably the company will refuse to cover the paramount expenses because
their witchdoctors and voodoo wizards blame a mosquito bite for the
symptoms. Talking about money and in particular claiming it when the
other party is an insurance company really puts the law in test. Common
man usually will get disappointed and bitter.

Now then, go and rent that bloody car.

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Sep 11, 3:41*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 06:34:23 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp

wrote:
On Sep 11, 2:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:06*pm, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:

[...]

I have had both Avis and Hertz cards provided by my former employer. The
person's profile defines the options required and not required. The card also
gives the maximum discount. It isn't a credit card, it is more of an ID card. I
still have an Avis card.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry martin, but I can't figure out what you're getting at there.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Sep 11, 5:37*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:28:19 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp

wrote:
On Sep 11, 3:41*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 06:34:23 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp

wrote:
On Sep 11, 2:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:06*pm, "Andy Pandy"
wrote:

[...]

Get your employer to issue you with their preferred hire car companies

LOL. To the different lives we have.
I've since been looking at the avis site and have read about the avis
preferred thingy;
Just go along, with driving licence at the ready, pick up keys and go.
Well, with that 353 firm, apart from the CC bit for the fuel, it was
just like that. Pick up keys, leave. Return keys, .say hello, OK?
and .... leave.
The travel agency we deal with locally deals with various car rental
companies. Usually, we're booked with "Sunny Cars", but there is no
"Sunny cars desk at Dublin airport. They've usually subcontracted to a
local Dublin group, so our paper work would say something like, go to
the Budget/353 /etc desk.
This year, it was a company called "Holiday autos" we had to go to the
Irish Car Rentals desk where they dealt with us through their Europcar
hat.

There was another car rental desk along the way. The guy called out to
me to enquire which desk I was looking for and then pointed the way.
All really friendly and helpful and I just wish I had taken note of
which one that was.
Of course, at the time, what I wasn't expecting that in contrast to
that friendly helpfulness, at the Irish Car Rental/Europcar desk, I
would encounter a youngish lady whose whole demeanor could be summed
up in one word; Bitch.
And I say that in light of the fact that I'm not actually all that
well. It's a progressive and incurable illness. It's bad enough waking
up at night sometimes and finding that without any warning, not even
an unsettled feeling, that my mouth is full of my own vomit and it's
bad enough having a shower and suddenly realising I can't feel my head
anymore, and off course falling into things and sometimes feeling like
I'll never again not know what it feels to not be dizzy all the time
isn't helpful, but it's not as annoying as the fluctuating change of
air pressure in my ears can be, but, air travel now present particular
difficulties. It's painful and I don't just mean a little
uncomfortable; and if it weren't for fainting, I'd need sick bags at
the ready. Geese, this time last year I wouldn't have bet that I'd see
Christmas. What a difference this year (-:

So imagine the scene: I've already been on my first train by 3:20am
(Irish Time) and have had a stressful journey by the time I get to the
Irish Car Rentals /Europcar desk for around 12:45am (Dublin). Yet
despite my own stresses and tiredness I greet The Bitch with a smile
and a friendly "Hello" but even that much wasn't reciprocated.
It was Bitch and rip-off from the get go.