Getting to Uxmal from Tulum

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Default Getting to Uxmal from Tulum

Hello to Latin America Travel Group

I was wondering:

1. How far is Tulum to Uxmal Ruins?

2. What are the ways, approximate costs and time it takes to get to the
Ruins from Tulum in particular Gran Bahia Principe Tulum?

3. Is the ruin open for climbing as I heard that one of the main
'pyramids' at the ruins is closed?

4. Any other suggestions/tips?

Appreciate your time on this, much thanks,

July

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

July wrote:
Hello to Latin America Travel Group

I was wondering:

1. How far is Tulum to Uxmal Ruins?

2. What are the ways, approximate costs and time it takes to get to
the Ruins from Tulum in particular Gran Bahia Principe Tulum?

3. Is the ruin open for climbing as I heard that one of the main
'pyramids' at the ruins is closed?

4. Any other suggestions/tips?

Appreciate your time on this, much thanks,

July

to go to Uxmal you have to go through Merida ( from Tulum )
pls note that only a few buses stop in Uxmal. that has really no bus
station

the ruins close at 17.00
most of the buses are from campeche to merida or vice versa.

you will be obliged to wait for buses directly on the mai road.
there are millions of mosquitos waiting to be fed.
so. either you do not wait too long or you have a good repellent.

I found no bus schedule from Uxmal to merida
In merida they had only from merida to Uxmal

I guess it took me about 3 hours

have a look at

www.ticketbus.com.mx
you have schedules and prices you can even buy tkts in advance

if you are using buses a lot. there are bus passes that you can buy only
abroad.

Old May 5th, 2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"July" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello to Latin America Travel Group

I was wondering:

1. How far is Tulum to Uxmal Ruins?

2. What are the ways, approximate costs and time it takes to get to the
Ruins from Tulum in particular Gran Bahia Principe Tulum?

3. Is the ruin open for climbing as I heard that one of the main
'pyramids' at the ruins is closed?

4. Any other suggestions/tips?

I don't have my road atlas handy so I can't help with the distances,
but it ain't all that far. Here's what I would suggest. As it sounds like
your time is limited rent a car. It's not all that expensive, you'll save a
lot of time and you'll be able to see things that would be difficult to see
traveling by bus or tour. Make a loop, clockwise or counter clockwise
depending on your tastes: Gran Bahia, Tulum, Copa, Merida, Uxmal and some of
the nearby ruins, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza, Gran Bahia. If you have the time
add some other towns or sites, such as Mayapan or Balancanche. There's
plenty to see in the region, look at some guidebooks of the area and pick
the things you're most interested in and have the time for. If you're
planning on sleeping every night at the Gran Bahia you made a mistake
because it will limit what you can see.

As for climbing pyramids: The Mirador at Chichen is open. The Pyramid
of the Magician at Uxmal has not been open to climbing for many years. The
main pyramid at Ek Balam is open since its restoration. There's plenty to
see and walk around and through. If you don't get too hung up on climbing
and wander around the sites you'll find some great artwork.

TB

Old May 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Thanks everyone!

Old May 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

I was in Uxmal in February and the Pyramid of the Magician is closed to
climbing. However the "Gran Piramide" behind the Governor's Palace is
open to climbing.

Visiting Uxmal from Merida is quite possible via public transportation.
There is a bus line (called ATM if I remember correctly) that does a
daily circuit of the Puuc ruins leaving from the Merida bus station in
the morning. You may get off at the first stop which is Uxmal, and then
have plenty of time to explore that site before the bus stops there
again in the afternoon on its return to Merida.

This is not a guided tour. It stops at half a dozen ruins in the area,
but it gives you a rather limited time to explore each site. That's why
I opted to simply get off at Uxmal and have the time to see it
thoroughly.