When did PrivateStock stop operating the bars at DTW?

Old March 20th, 2004, 05:29 AM
maryanne kehoe

Default When did PrivateStock stop operating the bars at DTW?

When did this happen---I miss my collectible "Big Beer" cups! Seriously
though, I have noticed the prices have gone waayyy up and even though
the service is OK, there are some "little things" missing. Comments
anyone?

Old March 21st, 2004, 12:19 AM
maryanne kehoe

Also the bartender told me they got rid of the U of M bar that was in
the old Delta "C" concourse! aiiyyyyyy!!!

When did PrivateStock stop operating the bars at DTW?

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Fri, Mar 19, 2004, 11:29pm From:
(maryanne=A0kehoe)

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:54 PM
Gregory Morrow

(maryanne kehoe) wrote:

Also the bartender told me they got rid of the U of M bar that was in
the old Delta "C" concourse! aiiyyyyyy!!!

Andouille Shepherd's Pie
Makes 8 generous servings.

"Who doesn't like shepherd's pie? If you find anyone who says "I
don't," let 'em taste just a few bites of this version, and they'll
probably beg for more! You can use a food processor with a julienne
disk-if it's very sharp-to save time when preparing the vegetables.
Buy one large red bell pepper and one large yellow bell pepper, and
use half of each for the julienne strips and the other half for the
chopped peppers.

Seasoning Mix:
4 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic
1¾ teaspoon dry mustard
1¾ teaspoon ginger

½ pound andouille, or your favorite smoked sausage
6 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes, about 6 pounds
1 cup heavy cream
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup julienne onion
½ cup julienne carrot
½ cup julienne red bell peppers
½ cup julienne yellow bell peppers
½ cup chopped red bell peppers
½ cup chopped yellow bell peppers
½ cup chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped onions
¾ cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
2 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Pepper Sauce®
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1½ pounds ground beef
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Boil the potatoes in 2 quarts of water until tender, about 30 minutes.
In a mixer, mash the potatoes with the cream, 6 tablespoons of the
butter, 2¼ teaspoons of the seasoning mix, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover
the mashed potatoes and set them aside. Resist the temptation to eat
the potatoes right now! They're rich and tasty, with a light gold
color and a pleasant light seasoning level.

Coarsely grind the andouille in a food processor or meat grinder and
set it aside.

Combine all the julienne strips of onions, carrots, and red and yellow
bell peppers, and season them with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix.

In a 10-inch skillet melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. When
the butter begins to sizzle, add all the chopped vegetables-the three
colors of bell peppers, onions, celery, and garlic-and 2 tablespoons
of the seasoning mix. Cook, almost constantly stirring and scraping
the bottom of the skillet to loosen the brown bits, until the
vegetables begin to brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the Magic
Pepper Sauce, and continue to cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Wow!
The flavor now is hot but sweet. The vegetables are just barely
crunchy and losing their brightness. Add the evaporated milk and eggs
and stir rapidly until they are fully combined.

Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens,
bubbles constantly, and is a beautiful yellow-gold color, about 4 to 5
minutes. Now the sweetness comes forward, the heat follows and lingers
briefly. This mixture's dominant taste is that of a well seasoned
omelet, with a richly seasoned vegetable "filling." Refrigerate until
cold.

Combine the ground andouille, ground beef, bread crumbs, and 2 the
remaining seasoning mix in a large bowl. Mix with a sturdy spatula,
using a downward, chopping stroke to help distribute the meat and
bread crumbs without over-mixing the meat (which would release too
much of the protein in the meat and make it mushy after cooking). When
the ingredients appear to be fairly evenly mixed, fold in the chilled
vegetable mixture, again being careful not to over-mix the meat.

Preheat the oven to 325°.

Spread the meat in the bottom of a 13-inch by 10-inch by 2-inch deep
casserole. Spread the julienne vegetable strips evenly over the meat,
then, using a large tip on a pastry bag, pipe the mashed potatoes over
all. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a heavy-duty plastic zipper
bag with a ½-inch opening cut from a bottom corner . Or simply spread
the potatoes evenly with a knife, making decorative swirls if you
wish. Be creative-have fun!

Bake until the top is tinged with golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving to
allow the juices to be reabsorbed into the food."

Copyright © 2000 by Chef Paul Prudhomme
All Rights Reserved

/