Dunn's River Falls

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Dunn's River Falls

Rick,
Almost every port stop (except for Georgetown) has aggressive natives
selling their wares. To me, as much as I enjoy Cozumel the vendors their
are bigger pains in the A** than Ocho Rios will ever be. Jamaica gets
the bad rap because the locals are bigger and blacker.
If you were to get off the ship at Ocho Rios with my wife and I you
would have a great time.
Somehow we like the locals there and they can sense it as most people
can. I've never felt threatened. If you treat them with respect MOST of
them will do the same. There are a few jerks anywhere.
We always hire the same driver there and have a blast.
As far as shop keepers, when we buy our four bottles of Coconut Rum at
Oceans Eleven at the pier, the staff could not be nicer. And they
DELIVER your booze directly to your ship.
It's unfortunate you have only seen the "bad" side.
After you have been there a few times and explored a bit, you get to
know the ropes and it's great.
Going on my next Cruise Sunday (3-5) on the Jewel of the Seas.

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

To me, as much as I enjoy Cozumel the vendors their
are bigger pains in the A** than Ocho Rios will ever be. Jamaica gets
the bad rap because the locals are bigger and blacker.

Peanut DeFlaBear-
Cozumel? I LOVE the people of Cozumel. Above all, I have a great
fondness for Cozumel. I never had a problem there (or anywhere) with
such extreme-in-your-face-agressiveness as I do in Jamaica. At any
port, the first thought I have is to be respectful to the locals; my
friend, DeFlaBear, in Jamaica, three times there now, I still haven't
had the chance to be respectful. And as far as your comment "bigger
and blacker," when you're talking about the Caribbean, Jamaica isn't
the only island where there are intimidating looking men, but as far as
the men of Jamaica go....their actions speak larger than....visuals.
Jamaica is the only island that needs a HUGE hospitality adjustment. I
tell this to my lovely friend Sharon, a native Jamaican, she tells me,
"Oh, David, just tell them to F&$^%* off..." .....I shouldn't
have to.
Cruise on!!!
David