Gatwick Thefts

Old March 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default Gatwick Thefts

Seven arrests over Gatwick thefts
Seven people have been arrested on suspicion of stealing from passengers'
bags at Gatwick Airport.
Two people were arrested at the Sussex airport's North Terminal on Thursday
morning with five more arrested at addresses in nearby Crawley.

Police said £50,000 worth of items were recovered in the year-long
operation, including 30 laptop computers.

The men, five from Crawley and two from Redhill in Surrey, work for Initial
Security, a firm used at the airport.

Further arrests anticipated

Sussex Police said the arrests followed a joint operation between the force,
airport operator BAA and the Department for Transport.

The men were arrested just after 0800 GMT on Thursday and were being held in
custody at Crawley Police Station.

Police said the £50,000 worth of property recovered also included more than
30 mobile phones, four digital and video cameras and a number of watches and
CDs.

Det Ch Insp Sharon Rowe, of Gatwick Police, said: "Our enquiries are still
continuing and we anticipate that there will be further arrests."

She said 120 officers from across Sussex had taken part in Thursday
morning's operation in an attempt to minimise disruption at the airport.

Police said the seven men are all employed by Initial Security, a firm
contracted by airlines to carry out baggage screening in the North Terminal.

The men from Redhill are aged 44 and 39 while four of the Crawley men are
aged 42, 34, 42 and 23, with the fifth aged in his 30s.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...es/3501834.stm

Published: 2004/03/11 12:29:56 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Old March 11th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Traveller

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

Seven arrests over Gatwick thefts

[snip]

Police said £50,000 worth of items were recovered in the year-long
operation, including 30 laptop computers.

[sniiiip]

Does ANYONE who reads this group know ANYONE stupid enough to pack a laptop
in checked baggage? I'm sure the story is accurate but HOW daft would you
have to be do that? The risk of damage, never mind theft, should put anyone
with a brain cell off....

.... of course, we did give laptops to our sales people... maybe I've
answered my own question

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Mike O'sullivan

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

Does ANYONE who reads this group know ANYONE stupid enough to pack a

laptop
in checked baggage? I'm sure the story is accurate but HOW daft would you
have to be do that?

Absolutely right. I could not imaging placing delicate electronic gear in
hold baggage. I carry everything, radio, minidusc olayer, camera etc, all in
cabin baggage.

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Malcolm Weir

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:12:04 +0000 (UTC), "Mike O'sullivan"
wrote:

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

Does ANYONE who reads this group know ANYONE stupid enough to pack a

laptop
in checked baggage? I'm sure the story is accurate but HOW daft would you
have to be do that?

Absolutely right. I could not imaging placing delicate electronic gear in
hold baggage. I carry everything, radio, minidusc olayer, camera etc, all in
cabin baggage.

It happens all the time, but the problem is that many people refuse to
pay for the (expensive) flight cases that you need to do it safely.

I used to use (serious) padlocks on my (photo equipment) flight cases,
but these days I make do with multiple zip ties with "seals" like they
use on the galleys for customs. To their credit, most security
inspection people understand the point and do their best to replace my
seals with the best alternative they have.

The reason I do this, though, is that I can't *carry* all the stuff
myself, let alone carry it on!

(Not everything rides in the hold, either: the camera body and lenses
tend to stay with me...)

Malc.
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Traveller

"Malcolm Weir" wrote in message

It happens all the time, but the problem is that many people refuse to
pay for the (expensive) flight cases that you need to do it safely.

I used to use (serious) padlocks on my (photo equipment) flight cases,
but these days I make do with multiple zip ties with "seals" like they
use on the galleys for customs. To their credit, most security
inspection people understand the point and do their best to replace my
seals with the best alternative they have.

The reason I do this, though, is that I can't *carry* all the stuff
myself, let alone carry it on!

Malc: Your case (pardon the pun) is probably an exceptional one. You pack
your stuff in professional hardside cases that are designed to travel as
hold baggage, you seal it properly, and you presumably have it insured
against disappearance in transit. How often has any of your gear gone
missing?

Old March 13th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Malcolm Weir

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:27:03 -0000, "Traveller"
wrote:

[ Snip ]

The reason I do this, though, is that I can't *carry* all the stuff
myself, let alone carry it on!

Malc: Your case (pardon the pun) is probably an exceptional one. You pack
your stuff in professional hardside cases that are designed to travel as
hold baggage, you seal it properly, and you presumably have it insured
against disappearance in transit. How often has any of your gear gone
missing?

Never. Thankfully!

Malc.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
cupra

Miss L. Toe wrote:
Seven arrests over Gatwick thefts
Seven people have been arrested on suspicion of stealing from
snip

When are they going to start arresting the Management who frequently =
steal my time when it takes nearly 3hrs to retrieve baggage!!

--=20
cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Traveller

" cupra" wrote in message

When are they going to start arresting the Management who frequently steal

my time when it takes nearly 3hrs to retrieve baggage!!

Three hours?!?!? Give us some dates, times, flight numbers, and so on!

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:07 PM
mtravelkay

Traveller wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message

When are they going to start arresting the Management who frequently steal

my time when it takes nearly 3hrs to retrieve baggage!!

Three hours?!?!? Give us some dates, times, flight numbers, and so on!

That remind me of the lady on Airline who said she was never flying WN
again. Apparently she couldn't recognize her bag on the carousel, and
also told the baggage people that it was a different color. So the poor
baggage guy was calling all over trying to track it down while the
camera showed the bag going round and round.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:51 AM
Miss L. Toe

" cupra" wrote in message
Miss L. Toe wrote:
Seven arrests over Gatwick thefts
Seven people have been arrested on suspicion of stealing from
snip

When are they going to start arresting the Management who frequently steal
my time when it takes nearly 3hrs to retrieve baggage!!

Last time I flew into Gatquick they were taking my bag off the carousel as I
arrived, I had stood still on the moving walkways instead of walking along
them and consequently arrived after all the other passengers had collected
their bags.