DL flyers---have you purchased their meals?

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:00 PM
maryanne kehoe

Default DL flyers---have you purchased their meals?

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:44 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

Who cares about some crummy airline meal, especially on DL (the
*worst* US mainline carrier)?

I was flying DL from JFK to SFO a few days ago and was feeling very
hungry, so I paid $8 for a roast beef sandwich. Crummy is right -
my deli around the corner sells a better sandwich for half the price
(although I suppose they'd jack up their prices, too, if they could
hold their customers hostage for at 30,000 feet for 5.5 hours

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:05 AM
mtravelkay

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:

In article ,
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

Who cares about some crummy airline meal, especially on DL (the
*worst* US mainline carrier)?

I was flying DL from JFK to SFO a few days ago and was feeling very
hungry, so I paid $8 for a roast beef sandwich. Crummy is right -
my deli around the corner sells a better sandwich for half the price
(although I suppose they'd jack up their prices, too, if they could
hold their customers hostage for at 30,000 feet for 5.5 hours

Well, you could alway buy it from the deli and take it to the airport
with you.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
mtravelkay wrote:

I was flying DL from JFK to SFO a few days ago and was feeling very
hungry, so I paid $8 for a roast beef sandwich. Crummy is right -
my deli around the corner sells a better sandwich for half the price
(although I suppose they'd jack up their prices, too, if they could
hold their customers hostage for at 30,000 feet for 5.5 hours

Well, you could alway buy it from the deli and take it to the airport
with you.

Which is exactly what I would've done if I had time. As it was, I
barely had enough time to jump into a cab and pray that Van Wyck is
not clogged up.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Frank F. Matthews

mtravelkay wrote:
Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:

In article ,
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

Who cares about some crummy airline meal, especially on DL (the
*worst* US mainline carrier)?

I was flying DL from JFK to SFO a few days ago and was feeling very
hungry, so I paid $8 for a roast beef sandwich. Crummy is right -
my deli around the corner sells a better sandwich for half the price
(although I suppose they'd jack up their prices, too, if they could
hold their customers hostage for at 30,000 feet for 5.5 hours

Well, you could alway buy it from the deli and take it to the airport
with you.

I have stopped at a local Subway chain on the way to parking prior to a
Southwest flight. FFM

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
Gregory Morrow

(maryanne kehoe) wrote:

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

GRILLED ARTICHOKES WITH SESAME DIPPING SAUCE

Toni and Lee Marteney of Kula, Maui, Hawaii, write: "Even though we
live on Maui, where there are many fantastic restaurants, my husband
and I always look forward to our trips to the mainland so we can eat
at our favorite Southern California restaurant, Walt's Wharf in Seal
Beach. All the food is superb and beautifully presented, but we always
look forward to sharing the delicious grilled artichoke appetizer."

The artichokes can be steamed in advance and thrown on the grill just
before serving, which makes them perfect for entertaining.

Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

Artichokes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 large artichokes

1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced

For dipping sauce:
Whisk mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, honey,
lemon juice, and seasoned salt in small bowl to blend well. Cover and
refrigerate until cold.

For artichokes:
Fill large bowl with cold water; add lemon juice. Cut off stem and top
quarter of 1 artichoke. Bend back dark green outer leaves and snap off
at artichoke base until only pale green and yellow leaves remain. Cut
any dark green areas off base. Cut artichoke lengthwise into 6 wedges.
Place artichoke wedges in lemon water. Repeat with remaining
artichokes.

Steam artichokes until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool. Remove choke
and any purple-tipped leaves from center of artichoke wedges. (Dipping
sauce and artichokes can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep sauce
refrigerated. Cover artichokes and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Stir olive oil and minced garlic
in small bowl to blend. Brush garlic oil over artichokes. Sprinkle
artichokes with salt and pepper. Grill artichokes until slightly
charred, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Transfer artichokes to platter and serve with dipping sauce.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
June 2003

R.S.V.P.
Walt's Wharf, Seal Beach, CA"

/
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:06 AM
atlantamex

Or, if you find yourself stopping over in Houston, you might stop by
Connie Wong's and pick up a basket of sushi, to go, and carry it with
you. Be sure not to ask for special treatment (such as cutting it into
eight, rather than six pieces) because this request cannot be honored
and will only lead to endless flaming, cross posting, and angry
letters written to Ms. Wong on one's company stationery.

Alternately, you could just wait on board for a cold Coca Cola, and
you can pour your peanuts into it. And you can paint your toenails
while listening to WSB radio and daydreaming about your
technologically-advanced WebTeeVeeTeeHee unit.*

(*If anyone can relate to this thread from several YEARS ago, please
so indicate in your reply to this post!)

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message ...
mtravelkay wrote:

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM
atlantamex

From: Sheryl
Subject: Miyako--My Lunch Today
Date: 2000/02/22
Newsgroups: houston.eats

As I've commented on houston.eats several times in the past, I'm a
regular at lunchtime at Miyako on Kirby. Looks like today was my last
visit. I'll let my letter to Ms. Connie Wong explain. I got Ms. Wong's
name when I called the Westheimer location asking for the name and
address of Miyako's owner, who I know by sight from various times he's
been in the particular Miyako location where I was eating at the time.
Whenever he sees me, he always acknowledges me. Unfortunately, I was
told that Ms. Wong is in charge of all the restaurants and that I should
write to her. The nature of my request was known since I was forthright
from the beginning of the phone call. I immediately identified myself
by name and said I had a bad experience at the Kirby location earlier
today and I wanted to inform the owner about it.

February 7, 2000

Ms. Connie Wong
Miyako Restaurant
6345 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77057

Dear Ms. Wong:

My lunch hour today was an experience I hope to forget, as it was quite
unpleasant. Some background is in order, so first, I want you to know
that my first time ever eating sushi was at Miyako on Westheimer in
1985. I've been hooked on sushi ever since, regularly having dinner at
the Miyako on Westheimer, the Little Miyako that was located in the
Village about 10 years or so ago, and then when that location closed,
the Kirby location. In the mid-1990s when the downtown location opened,
I began having lunch there at least once per week, every single week,
until I began working in Greenway Plaza in January 1998. Since that
time, until today, I've had lunch at the Kirby location at least once
per week, every single week. So a reasonable estimation would be that
I've eaten at Miyako more than 500 times in the past 15 years.

I arrived at the Kirby location at 11:35 a.m. today and took my usual
seat at the sushi bar. Being that today was a federal holiday and many
offices were closed, there were only two others at the sushi bar, and
over the next 10 minutes, a total of about 5 tables were occupied.
Still, just the one couple and me at the sushi bar. In other words, not
very busy.

Among other sushi items, I ordered the Miyako Special maki. As I always
do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
then it completely falls apart. About three minutes after taking my
order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife. I also reminded
her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
my frequent visits.

She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
would remain a customer. She stated once again that there would be a $1
charge. I then turned around, picked up my magazine and walked out of
the restaurant. Mind you, I had ordered a Coke which had already been
served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.

I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.

/s/

P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food.
END OF LETTER

Old March 24th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Gregory Morrow

(atlantamex) wrote:

Or, if you find yourself stopping over in Houston, you might stop by
Connie Wong's and pick up a basket of sushi, to go, and carry it with
you. Be sure not to ask for special treatment (such as cutting it into
eight, rather than six pieces) because this request cannot be honored
and will only lead to endless flaming, cross posting, and angry
letters written to Ms. Wong on one's company stationery.

Alternately, you could just wait on board for a cold Coca Cola, and
you can pour your peanuts into it. And you can paint your toenails
while listening to WSB radio and daydreaming about your
technologically-advanced WebTeeVeeTeeHee unit.*

(*If anyone can relate to this thread from several YEARS ago, please
so indicate in your reply to this post!)

Oh, are you Ellen?

;-)

Just fer fun, here are some excerpts from a thread on
www.flyertalk.com discussing Sheryl's BiddingforTravel.com website.
Pretty amusing - check out the whole thread for mo

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000470.html

"I share the concerns of many others around the moderator's attitude
and the way in which the discussions, opinions, and posts are handled.
Even when responses from the moderator are helpful, between the lines
they scream "how could you be so stupid" or "I don't have time to step
you through the 100 self-created hoops to acceptable posting ... so
READ THE FAQ .. and oh yeh .. I am closing this thread!" I also had a
post "adjusted" without my consent and the forum seems more like an
dictatorship then a site where the power is the people who contribute.
Recently I answered another users question about international credit
cards only to have the thread closed within minutes with a note that
this question was covered in the FAQ - implying my comments were not
of value and the only voice that matters is the owners of the site".

--------------------------------------

"Can someone actually explain what went on with Sheryl over at
rec.travel.air?
I've seen it brought up several times, but don't know what happened."

--------------------------------------

"To make a long story short(er) :-) the moderator of
biddingfortravel.com obviously read my post in this topic and emailed
me immediately (without identifying themselves) asking me to read my
"ezInbox" – which apparently is a new feature of Ezboard – which I
have never used. I politely emailed back asking for comments to be
sent to me via email – as I haven't used my ezInbox (didn't event know
I had one). After a couple more very short, demanding emails asking
for my "biddingfortravel.com username", I received, by anyone's
standards, a very unprofessional email scolding me for my comments in
the earlier post to this topic. The email included unbelievable
statements like "… when I work 18 hours a day to help people (TOTAL
STRANGERS JUST LIKE YOU) save a tremendous amount of money on their
travel for FREE. And this is the slap in the face you give me" and
"But I'll tell you one thing, I think your attitude is absolutely
disgusting".

---------------------------------

"I was on r.t.a pre Sheryl and remember her arrival along with, IIRC,
Maryanne Kehoe, as the prominent personalities at one time. It was an
abusive and abrasive relationship between them and the majority of
r.t.a posters....

It doesn't surprise me that any particular thread would be started as
an attack on Sheryl.

No quarter was given, none taken. Genteel was never an operative word.
LOL. If one wasn't a participant, it was really fairly amusing."

"The topic is the BFT board and its practices, not sushi or maki.
Thank you."

/

--
Best