Welcome to the Most Dangerous City in America....

Old March 25th, 2004, 04:52 PM
dutch

Default Welcome to the Most Dangerous City in America....

Drugs, a killing thing

March 17, 2004 (Baltimore Sun Editorial)

WHEN FIVE BULLETS slammed into Beldin Dillard on Feb. 13, 2003, he
became another statistic, another casualty of the violence on
Baltimore streets. A 36-year-old heroin dealer, Mr. Dillard was trying
to reclaim his old corner, offering free samples to customers. His
murder could be dismissed as one drug dealer's version of beating the
competition. But it deserves attention because it illustrates the
nexus between Baltimore's narcotics trade and the violence on city
streets, the prevalence of drug activity by murder victims and
suspects and the difficulty in halting the cycle of violence.

Last year, Baltimore recorded 271 murders - a 7 percent increase over
2002 that showed the city's success at reducing the murder rate had
stalled. A police analysis of homicides for 2003 shows why the
department's focus on the drug trade is essential to lowering the
city's murder rate. An overwhelming majority of murder victims (82
percent) and suspects (68 percent) in 2003 had previous drug arrests,
at least two. More than a third were on parole or probation.

The profiles hold true for Beldin Dillard and the drug dealer
convicted last month of his murder, Larry E. Burton. Their pasts
attest to why we can't arrest our way out of the drug problem. Their
run-ins with police show that law enforcement alone can't keep a drug
dealer off the street. Police, prosecutors and judges have to be
united in a common goal. That means police work that holds up in
court, prosecutors prepared for trial and sentences with purpose. In
their absence, cases aren't prosecuted, convictions carry few
consequences and sentences are merely words on paper.

When Beldin Dillard was gunned down, he had been out of prison only
three months, according to prosecutors. His return to the drug world
was predictable. Since 1984, Mr. Dillard had been arrested 11 times
for drug possession or distribution. The most jail time he'd served
was a year for a 1986 handgun conviction. In 1999, Mr. Dillard pleaded
guilty to selling heroin and cocaine, possession with intent to
distribute and a handgun violation. He received a prison term of seven
years and six months, served about half of it and was released.

Larry Burton was on probation when Mr. Dillard was murdered. He had
been convicted in 2002 of selling heroin on Mr. Dillard's old turf,
but the bulk of his five-year prison term was suspended. Earlier
arrests for drug possession, car theft, assault and robbery with a
deadly weapon were never prosecuted. He was given probation after his
first drug conviction, in 2000.

Their arrest records suggest they may have been drug users. Why
weren't they referred for treatment? If they weren't eligible for
treatment, why weren't they doing prison time?

Before Mr. Dillard's murder, Mr. Burton had never been convicted of a
crime of violence. But their argument over the heroin trade on a city
street left one dead, the other a convicted murderer facing 50 years
in prison for taking care of business in a business that destroys
lives, corrupts communities and poisons a city.

For more about Balti-$hit:

http://balti.what.cc
http://norris.ismad.com
http://omalley.ismad.com
http://baltimore.home-page.org
http://conventions.home-page.org
http://baltimore-tourism.home-page.cc
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:00 PM
George in NY

Be it Baltimore, Washington DC, or NY, same s--- different day. Baltimore
was a violent tough town in the 60's when I used to pass through there in
the middle of the night riding passenger in an uncles tractor trailer.
Unloading bread at a warehouse in Baltimore at 3 am was an interesting
experience for a teenager. Drug dealers and prosties on everyother corner.
Washington DC, Nations capitol, Nations murder capitol. Midwest now having
major problems with various violent trades, drug trades. Common factor,
drugs, easy enough. Drug war? Been a joke, is a joke, will always be a joke!
Just read the article....

"An overwhelming majority of murder victims (82
percent) and suspects (68 percent) in 2003 had previous drug arrests,
at least two. More than a third were on parole or probation."

Rocket scientists unite! Big meeting in Baltimore! Head brilliant person
discovers correlation between drugs and violence. Nation stands astounded,
had we only known cry politicians !!! Hillary declares she will tackle drug
war right after she gets through with smoking in NY bars. The urgency of
bad, bad, smokers must be addressed first. Then of course there are the
drivers using cellphones and the fat kids eating out of vending machines at
schools. But soon as she has conquered those priority issues drugs and
violence will be targeted!

Larry Burton was on probation when Mr. Dillard was murdered. He had
been convicted in 2002 of selling heroin on Mr. Dillard's old turf,
but the bulk of his five-year prison term was suspended.

Larry Burton was on probation when Mr. Dillard was murdered. He had
been convicted in 2002 of selling heroin on Mr. Dillard's old turf,
but the bulk of his five-year prison term was suspended. Earlier
arrests for drug possession, car theft, assault and robbery with a
deadly weapon were never prosecuted.

Their arrest records suggest they may have been drug users. Why
weren't they referred for treatment? If they weren't eligible for
treatment, why weren't they doing prison time?

Big question raised, why not treated or in Jail? Brain trust to ponder
answer! Pleeeeease, first reason simple, COST, MONEY! I would wager that
less than 10% of major drug dealers ever get arrested and of that 10% less
than 3% ever due more than 8 months time. It costs money to keep career
criminals in Jail and although money well spent not very " good feeling "
productive.

Second treatment rarely works and despite it being societal feel good little
money spent on that either. We renamed our PRISONS and JAILS Correctional
Centers. I never laughed so hard in my life, figuratively. Correcting what,
the cons imperfect criminal procedures. Making better crooks for a more
violent tomorrow to mimick an old company proverb.

They arrested 50 drug dealers locally in my area recently after 1 year
investigation. 50 NEW and very happy drug dealers assumed thier new
positions about 3.5 minutes after Police vehicles left the area. Let's see,
I can flip burgers for a take home check of $100 bucks a week OR deal drugs
and make $18,000 tax free a week. HUmmm call your college business professor
and check on that deal.

I am in my 50's, did YOU worry about someone pulling out a Mac 10 and
spraying you with bullets when YOU were in High School? I know I didn't!
Great thing about the drug war for drug dealers. Keeps the price up and
market steady while creating promotional opportunity for the young.

Drugs a multi billion dollar industry in US, Fighting drugs a multi billion
dollar industry. Together trillions to the economy, yet another reason for
death on the streets and in the schools. But feel better, we fight drugs and
have corectional facilites! We treat and rehabilitate because we will not
wareshouse those that rob and kill us, that would be NON FEEL GOOD!

Sorry I get worked up about this stuff, past life stuff. Retired Jail Warden
who should just think cruising and let the smarter politicians run the
world.

George in NY

m...

Old March 26th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Dick Goldhaber

George,

I know your background and I agree with you 200%.

Keeping murderers on death row for 22 years removes the cellspace that
should have been occupied by the guy or gal who committed the last murder.

Dubya wants to put America to work? Let them build a lot of new jails.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old March 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Dick Goldhaber wrote:

Keeping murderers on death row for 22 years removes the cellspace that
should have been occupied by the guy or gal who committed the last murder.

Dubya wants to put America to work? Let them build a lot of new jails.

Also build a few gas chamberz and sterilization clinicz.
Hitler had the right idea - he just picked the wrong folks
to do it to. [del criminal.*]
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Firing squads are far more cost efficient.

It is amusing that nobody came to the defense of Timothy McVeigh in spite of
the fact that he proclaimed his innocence.

The evidence against Mumia Abu Jamal is FAR more compelling that the
government's case against poor dead Timothy.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ