Day Trip from Venice to Slovenia and/or Croatia?

Old August 4th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Walt Bilofsky

Default Day Trip from Venice to Slovenia and/or Croatia?

We will be spending a week in Venice, and have been there before.

We have never been to Trieste, Slovenia or Croatia, and are wondering
if it would be worthwhile to try to make a day trip from Venice to see
Trieste and/or any part of Slovenia or Croatia.

What might be worth visiting? Is it safe? Can we take a rental car
across those borders and is that the best way to go?

Thanks for any advice.

- Walt Bilofsky
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:25 PM
tile

try the small town of Aquileia
with a lot of roman mosaics and a beautiful roman museum

not so far from Trieste /Venezia

In slovenia you could visit the caves of Postumia.
and there is a castle nearby.

I have been told the lake of Bled is very nice.

Old August 5th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Bili wrote:
Yes, you can take rental car, but if I were you I will go with catamarans.
You can come from Venice with a high-speed catamarans to Istra
(Croatia)(http://www.venezialines.com/eng/index-en.htm).

http://www.croatia.hr
http://www.istra.com/index.asp

This may be asking a lot, but has anyone found any that run during
November?

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Old August 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Walt Bilofsky

That looks wonderful, except for one problem.

The catamarans are all scheduled to spend the day in Venice and then
return to Croatia. It is not possible to make it a day trip starting
from Venice.

- Walt Bilofsky

"Bili" wrote:

"Walt Bilofsky" wrote in message
.. .
We will be spending a week in Venice, and have been there before.

We have never been to Trieste, Slovenia or Croatia, and are wondering
if it would be worthwhile to try to make a day trip from Venice to see
Trieste and/or any part of Slovenia or Croatia.

What might be worth visiting?

Town Porec (Euphrasius basilica-UNESCO monument), Rovinj, Umag...

Is it safe?

Safest than Venice!!!

Can we take a rental car across those borders and is that the best way to

go?

Yes, you can take rental car, but if I were you I will go with catamarans.
You can come from Venice with a high-speed catamarans to Istra
(Croatia)(http://www.venezialines.com/eng/index-en.htm).

http://www.croatia.hr
http://www.istra.com/index.asp

Duje

Old August 5th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Martin Bienwald

Walt Bilofsky schrieb:

We have never been to Trieste, Slovenia or Croatia, and are wondering
if it would be worthwhile to try to make a day trip from Venice to see
Trieste and/or any part of Slovenia or Croatia.

If you go to Trieste, don't miss the trolley to Villa Opicina. Round-trip
takes about an hour, departs every 20 minutes. Apart from being the only
trolley that gets "helped" up a steep gradient by a funicular(!), it gives
some great views of the coast. Have a coffee break at the nice town of
Villa Opicina if you like.

http://www.tramdeopcina.it/tram/pages/tt2engl.htm
http://www.funimag.com/funimag03/TRIEST1.HTM

.... Martin