What's your favorite Travel Guides?

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:45 AM
King

Default What's your favorite Travel Guides?

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Frommers

Rough Guide

Lonley Planet

other?

Old September 27th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Raoul Duke

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Frommers

Rough Guide

Lonley Planet

other?

In my opinion, Lonely Planet, hands down. But, I think it depends on what
kind of travelling you like to do. If you like to avoid chain hotels and
restaurants, and, instead, prefer to enjoy locally owned places, LP is the
best guide book. LP tends to target those who want to venture off the
beaten path a bit.

If, on the other hand, you prefer larger chain hotels and the like, Frommers
or Fodors might be better.

Old September 28th, 2003, 04:23 AM
news.verizon.net

I first travelled with the Mexico and Central America Handbook when there
wasn't anything else out there. I still use it but I also give very high
marks to Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. Of those three, I believe your
choice depends on what you are as a traveller. As far as I am concerned, all
the others are great if you have an Amex card and like needlessly paying
high prices.

ink.net...

Old September 28th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Orzowei

If you intend to travel to an spoilt and Lonely Planetized (his credits)
place just buy the book and follow the sheeps, anybody posting in ng, who
needsa book nowdays?????

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Miguel Cruz

King wrote:
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's
Frommers
Rough Guide
Lonley Planet

Really each book (Lonely Planet India, Frommers Singapore, etc.) needs to be
evaluated on its own sinec they are written and researched by different
people.

But mostly I think that over-reliance on a guidebook is not a great idea.
Rather than worrying about the books, worry about whre you want to go and
what you want to do.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:04 PM
JohnM

In article . net, King
writes
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Frommers

Rough Guide

Lonley Planet

other?

For South America, the South America Handbook - now published by
Footprints and split into individual country books is as complete as you
get. Lonely Planet - well, it is too opinionated for my liking, though a
better read. I liked it better in the olden days when it had one-liners
like 'Brasilia is a vast architectural wank' - expunged from later
editions.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Ben

Honduras: Honduras handbook + Elmer travel guides (definitely in dutch,
dunno about english versions)
Ecuador/peru: le routier (french, LP)
Kenia: Rough guide
New Zealand: friends & LP "tramping in NZ"
India: my wife;-), the LP, Rough Guide & Footprint (LP is organized better,
better maps but generally they're all lacking)
Canada: friends & LP

Basically, i only use the books for the maps and to find out what places NOT
to go to. I'm always amused by those silly warnings about dangers &
annoyances but if you're completely unprepared it's better to have that than
nothing.. However, don't put your common sense in second place to what's
written in those books.. observe the people and talk to them to find out
things (esp. in south america). Speaking the language (however little it may
be) is probably the biggest step to get there.

HTH,

Ben (belgium)

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:22 PM
Brian K

On 09/26/2003 11:45 PM King while directing tourists to the Zazu Pits,
was inclined to say:

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Most usefull for large cities.

Frommers

Great for folks who don't want to spend the family estate for a vacation
trip.

Rough Guide

No exposure.

Lonley Planet

I like the online site.

other?

O&A Out and About is a good Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgendered travel
guide. They cover just about everything from lodging, air, cruises,
car rental to points of interest for GLBT folk. However in some
markets, they tend to focus on the expensive places to stay and eat.
With a little investigation of the destination the intreped GLBT
traveler can find places that are just as good for less money.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Richard

"Brian K" wrote in message
nk.net...

O&A Out and About is a good Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgendered travel
guide. They cover just about everything from lodging, air, cruises,
car rental to points of interest for GLBT folk. However in some
markets, they tend to focus on the expensive places to stay and eat.
With a little investigation of the destination the intreped GLBT
traveler can find places that are just as good for less money.

Okay, this may be OT, it may even start a flame war, and if it does, I
apologise in advance but I'm curious. I can see how places of interest,
especially in the realm of night life, could be different between the GLBT
folk and those who aren't in that category. Even lodging, at times. But how
does advice on air travel or car rental change based on the sexual tendacies
of the person asking for the advice?

Richard