Insurance

Old February 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Insurance

Are there any insurance companies that sell a cruise policy for a period of
a year?

Old February 16th, 2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I understand from my friend in England that they can buy a yearly
travel insurance policy, but I have not known what it actually covers.
I am not sure if it covers trip cancellation, medical or either or
both. I have not been able to buy any yearly travel polciy in the U.S.

Old February 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

scapel wrote:
I understand from my friend in England that they can buy a yearly
travel insurance policy, but I have not known what it actually covers.
I am not sure if it covers trip cancellation, medical or either or
both. I have not been able to buy any yearly travel polciy in the U.S.

There might be some yearly travel policies in the U.S.
This subject came up just before the GGC2006, and we asked Cal Ford to
look into and see what he could find.

He did find something, but I am not sure what. I am not sure if it is
affordable, or if it is something people are going to be interested in.

He was going to send out some information via snail mail shortly to
some of us.

I did a search when the subject came up prior to the GGC2006, and
managed to confuse myself with the topic! There are ... mostly things
available in the U.K.

roland

Old February 17th, 2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Yes, atleast two companies offer an annual travel insurance plan that
either includes trip cancellation coverage or it can be added. The
companies a

Access America at http://www.accessamerica.com and
Travel Guard at http://www.travelguard.com

My experience has been that the coverages aren't as broad as the per
trip plans. Most travelers are better off with the per trip plans
because of the enhanced benefits (waiver of pre-existing and financial
default) and the broader coverages.

Old February 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Celebrity Cruiser wrote:
piperut wrote:
scapel wrote:
[...]

If Cal finds out, please post or include me in the email since we
cruise 2 x a year.

Mark
Homeport:
Monmouth County NJ

Cal was sending out something via snail mail for some of us to look at.
I was not sure what he found out, as I have not received it yet.

Looks like someone else posted something about the annual insurance.
I think this might be an underserved area of the market right now?

Some of us take a couple of one week cruise a year, or will go
someplace on a long weekend, a yearly travel insurance policy makes a
lot more sense then a bunch of little policies.

roland

Old February 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Some of us take a couple of one week cruise a year, or will go
someplace on a long weekend, a yearly travel insurance policy makes a
lot more sense then a bunch of little policies.

The problem from the insurer's view point is not knowing what their
total loss exposure is prior to issuing the policy. How can they
properly price the policy without knowing if the client will be taking
six cruises at $10,000 a piece or two cruises at $1000 a piece.

That's why most annual plans that do include a trip cancellation
benefit limit it to a small amount such as $1,000. This is why the
vast majority of annual plans are issued to those not really needing
cancellation coverage but are more concerned with medical, emergency
evacuation, emergency assistance, etc.

The above is for US-style plans, UK-style plans are much different

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's why most annual plans that do include a trip cancellation
benefit limit it to a small amount such as $1,000. This is why the
vast majority of annual plans are issued to those not really needing
cancellation coverage but are more concerned with medical, emergency
evacuation, emergency assistance, etc.

Your saying that there are annual plane available? The emergence medical
evacuation is the only reason I buy insurance in the first place. All the
other items I can do without. I always buy the minimum insurance with
includes the evacuation portion. If I get sick I'll bite the bullet & take
the loss but if I have to be helicoptered off the ship that's another story.

Old February 18th, 2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Your saying that there are annual plane available? The emergence
medical
evacuation is the only reason I buy insurance in the first place. All
the
other items I can do without.

Travel Guard's got some cheap annual plans that include emergency evac
and so does Access America and Travelex. One other option is Beta at
http://www.betins.com

But if all you need is evac coverage have you ever checked your credit
cards. Many premium cards (Gold, Platinmu, etc) include it as a
benefit. If you're already paying for it why buy more? And some people
do indeed have evac coverage with their regular health insurance. Never
hurts to call.