Philadelphia - hotel in historic area

Old June 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Philadelphia - hotel in historic area

Gonna visit to take in the historical sites and looking a for a good hotel
( not excellent) within decent walking area of the sites. I'm trying to
avoid hiring a car and would like a Best Western / Days Inn type
hotel/motel central to the sites - any recommendations ?

Thanks

Old June 20th, 2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

Gonna visit to take in the historical sites and looking a for a good hotel
( not excellent) within decent walking area of the sites. I'm trying to
avoid hiring a car and would like a Best Western / Days Inn type
hotel/motel central to the sites - any recommendations ?

There are several hotels in that area. I go there frequently because I
live and work nearby. I have never stayed over night in a Philadelphia
hotel, so I cannot comment on the quality of the hotels, but I can tell
you there's a Holiday Inn and a Comfort Inn in the Society Hill area,
and well within walking distance, there's also a Hampton Inn.

I suggest you check out http://gophila.com , which is designed to help
people plan an overnight stay in Philadelphia.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

Gonna visit to take in the historical sites and looking a for a good
hotel
( not excellent) within decent walking area of the sites. I'm trying to
avoid hiring a car and would like a Best Western / Days Inn type
hotel/motel central to the sites - any recommendations ?

There are several hotels in that area. I go there frequently because I
live and work nearby. I have never stayed over night in a Philadelphia
hotel, so I cannot comment on the quality of the hotels, but I can tell
you there's a Holiday Inn and a Comfort Inn in the Society Hill area,
and well within walking distance, there's also a Hampton Inn.

I suggest you check out http://gophila.com , which is designed to help
people plan an overnight stay in Philadelphia.

Will do - thanks

Old June 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:10:49 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

Gonna visit to take in the historical sites and looking a for a good hotel
( not excellent) within decent walking area of the sites. I'm trying to
avoid hiring a car and would like a Best Western / Days Inn type
hotel/motel central to the sites - any recommendations ?

I got a room in a Club Quarters hotel, near Rittenhouse Square, for
under $100 through Expedia. The location is convenient and the hotel
was quite nice.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bob Joesting

wrote:

Gonna visit to take in the historical sites and looking a for a good hotel
( not excellent) within decent walking area of the sites. I'm trying to
avoid hiring a car and would like a Best Western / Days Inn type
hotel/motel central to the sites - any recommendations ?

I was there a few weeks ago and stayed at the Travelodge at 1227
Race St. It is on the north side of the street accross from the
convention center. I paid less than $100 per night, including a
modest breakfast, all taxes and such. It is a clean basic place to
stay that is close to most everything. Looking online I saw a couple
negative comments. Some of the rooms have windows that look into the
hall and no outside windows. (My room looked out on the alley.) Some
people were unhappy that there is a shelter or mission that helps the
homeless within a half block. I had no problems walking to most
everything in the old city historic area.

The Independence Visitor Center is about 5 blocks east and two
blocks south. Almost all of the major "founding of the country"
places are within about a five or six block radius of the visitor
center.

I noticed there are quite a few other reasonable places that are
not far.

I was quite impressed with how hard the employees worked to make
the visit pleasant. Since I usually take public transportation when I
go places, I asked at the front desk if they knew the rules for the
SEPTA day pass. They didn't know any more than I already knew. When
I went past the desk a bit later they had printed a few pages of
information from the SEPTA website for me. I learned that the day
pass will, for $5.50 let you have unlimited trips for the day on the
buses, trolleys, subways, etc. with restrictions on the regional rail.

Major places I went, or wanted to go to, include, with distance
from the Travelodge:
1) The US Mint. 7 blocks east.
2) The King Tut exhibit (Tickets needed and most already sold) at the
Franklin Institute, 8 blocks west.
3) Univ. Penn. Museum, Egyptian exhibit (A Very impressive companion
to the Tut exhibit, also reserve tickets) about 1.5 miles west south
west.
4) Amtrak 30th St. Station (how I got to town) 1 mile west.
5) The Philadelphia Art Museum about 1 mile west north west.
6) The Rodin Museum, about 3 or 4 blocks closer than the Art Museum.
7) Chinatown just east of the convention center.
8) Reading Market one block south

If I had more time (I was there for 4 days) I found many other
things worth visiting, both within a mile of the hotel and further
out.