Paris' Chatelet/Les Halles metro stops

Old December 27th, 2003, 02:12 PM
John Hanks

Default Paris' Chatelet/Les Halles metro stops

I've been reading through some guide books on Paris in preparation for a
Spring visit to paris. In the "Let's Go" Paris city guide 2003, they
recommend avoiding the Chatelet and Les Halles metro stops at night. I had
found an inexpensive hotel near there but now I'm considering other places.

I lived in NYC for a few years when I was younger and never had any problems
or qualms going through subway stops like Times Square (one quickly learns
the New York street "attitude" when walking there), so I'm usually not
worried about things like this. However, on this trip my wife and I will be
bringing my Mom who is, how shall I say it, active, but not young. Since I
really don't know the area or what the perceived danger is that "Let's Go"
was describing, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

Thanks,

John

Old December 27th, 2003, 02:24 PM
CLLeven

The Paris Metro has signs in most, if not all, rail cars urging passengers
to take care with purses, wallets, etc. Many stations are very crowded, in
addition to those you cite, and the throngs make lifting wallets an easy
event...witness the fact that my husband and I were both hit, different
stations, different weeks. Belatedly learned advice? Use an undergarment
body wallet and leave most "stuff" back in your hotel safe.
Carol L

Old December 27th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Kristian

John Hanks wrote:
I've been reading through some guide books on Paris in preparation for a
Spring visit to paris. In the "Let's Go" Paris city guide 2003, they
recommend avoiding the Chatelet and Les Halles metro stops at night. I had
found an inexpensive hotel near there but now I'm considering other places.....
John

-----------
Not knowing excactly where your hotel is, I think generally this
area would be a great place to stay.Its very central too. At night
there are lots of people in the streets, especially around the
Pompidou centre. Maybe you could just avoid these metro stations at
night and use some other nearby.

Kristian
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Ryan B

"John Hanks" wrote in message
[...]

I go to Paris at least three times a year. I just got home a few days ago.
Because of the Christmas markets in this area I spent a lot of evenings here
and used the Metro from Chatelet and Les Halles often late at night and
would not consider it to be anymore intimidating than anywhere else in
Paris. I like the area a lot as it is very lively and vibrant both day and
night and is so central as to allow walking to so many of Paris' center city
attractions. I would not hesitate to stay in this area with a family.

Ryan

Old December 27th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 27/12/03 3:12 pm, in article , "John Hanks"
wrote:

[...]

I'd say that is over-reaction. Until quite late there are loads of people,
and also a large police presence. You'll see a lot of activity that is not
necessarily pleasant, and some smells that will not be very appetising, but
I doubt you'll find it more dangerous than anywhere else. Common sense can
be your guide - if you find your antenna quivering you can avoid those Metro
stations - there are plenty of others nearby.

J;

Old December 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM
John Hanks

Thanks, everyone. It is as I suspected. The tour book is taking no
chances. The last time I was in Paris, I had no problems, either, but I
don't know the area in question. I always wore an undergarment pouch with
my passport, credit card, etc, so I was never really concerned about theft.
It is the way to go. Anyway, being a tourist I will probably walk as much
as possible. The better to see and enjoy Paris. The Paris metro is
excellent, though.

From: Earl Evleth
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:30:05 +0100
Subject: Paris' Chatelet/Les Halles metro stops

On 27/12/03 15:58, in article
, "Kristian"
wrote:

Not knowing excactly where your hotel is, I think generally this
area would be a great place to stay.Its very central too. At night
there are lots of people in the streets, especially around the
Pompidou centre. Maybe you could just avoid these metro stations at
night and use some other nearby.

The young from the banlieue come into town in the evening and hang
around Les Halles. The Chatelet connections from one metro to another are
sometimes long. A lot of people are around. I usually avoid this station
just because of that. As for sleazy characters, yes, you get more of them
around there but the system is patrolled by RATP security people.

I have lived here for 30 years and have never had an incident in the metro,
on the cars or in the hallways.

As for pickpockets, they operate when it is crowded. Don`t wear a packpack
and keep you wallet in a safe spot. I have had lots of visiting friends
pickpocketed and it has occurred in the immediate family. Nobody has gotten
assaulted, however, strong armed etc. It is not a psychosis with
Parisians and in any case "we" have Sarko defending us.

Earl

Old December 27th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Mxsmanic

John Hanks writes:

In the "Let's Go" Paris city guide 2003, they recommend
avoiding the Chatelet and Les Halles metro stops at night.

It's not that bad. It depends on how much you look like a potential
target. Also, "at night" means "in the last half hour before the end of
service," and not simply after the sun goes down.

I lived in NYC for a few years when I was younger and never had any problems
or qualms going through subway stops like Times Square (one quickly learns
the New York street "attitude" when walking there), so I'm usually not
worried about things like this.

Paris is certainly no worse than NYC, so you'll be fine.

However, on this trip my wife and I will be bringing my
Mom who is, how shall I say it, active, but not young.

What does that mean?

Since I really don't know the area or what the perceived
danger is that "Let's Go" was describing, I was wondering
if anyone could shed some light on this?

Paris is no more dangerous than New York City. If you lived in NYC and
survived, you have nothing to worry about in Paris. While unfamiliarity
with a place always puts you at a disadvantage, the "attitude" works
just about anywhere in big cities. If you don't look like a victim, you
won't be.

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Runge

"John Hanks" a écrit dans le message de

Nawww there's no particular danger, don't listen or read those panicky
warnings, most of them "made in USA"...
U'll be more in danger in your own country than in Paris !