Bird Watching in Central Myanmar and Shan State

Old November 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Default Bird Watching in Central Myanmar and Shan State

ITINERARY (11)
Bird Watching in Central Myanmar and Shan State

(Yangon - Bagan - Shan State - Yangon)

Day.1 We will be arriving to Yangon with a morning flight and after lunch we
will be driving to Moeyungyi sanctuary (a vast area of wet land) situated
approximately 110 km north to Yangon.We will spend the late afternoon
birding along the shores of the wet land, looking out for birds like Blue
throat, Thick-billed warbler, Wagtails, Pipits, Golden Plvers, Harriers and
Kites. The overnight and dinner will be at the resort in the sanctuary.

Day.2 With an early boat ride in the sanctuary we will be looking for
Greater spotted Eagle, Woolly necked Stork, Asian Openbill, Sarus Crane,
Spot-billed Pelican, Painted Stork, among thousands of waders and
shorebirds. This sanctuary is approximately 40 square miles in area and
inhabits about 80 species of birds. We will spend the whole morning birding
in the sanctuary and after a late lunch, drive back to Yangon. Those who
have never been to Yangon before, will visit the Shwedagon Pagoda in the
evening.

Day.3 We will fly to Bagan with a morning flight. After checking in the
hotel and having lunch those who are tired can have an afternoon siesta. In
the evening we will have a short boat ride along the Irrawaddy river to look
out for Sand Larks, Indian Skimmer, Indian River Tern, Black-bellied Tern,
Pied Kingfisher and Little Tren along with some waterbirds.

Day.4 The next day’s birding in Bagan will add the endemic Burmese Bush-lark
and White - throated Babbler, White-bellied Minivet, Spotted Owlet, Rain
Quail, Button Quail, Vinous-breasted Starling and another 20-30 species to
our list . Those interested archeology will spend some time visiting famous
temples and pagodas built during the Bagan era about 700 - 1000 years ago.

Day.5 Early morning we will drive about 45 minutes to Chauk where we will
cross the Irrawaddy river with a ferry. After another one hour drive and we
will birding in the dry deciduious forest where the special endemic Hooded
Treepie will be found. Those who have missed the White-bellied Minivet in
Bagan will have a chance to find it again here together with Alexandrine,
Grey - headed, Red - breasted and Blossom - headed Parakeets, White - rumped
Falcon, White-eyed Buzzard, Rufous Treepie, Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker,
Puff-throated Babbler and many more. We will cross the river and drive back
to Bagan in the evening.

Day.6 Continuing our journey to Shan plateau will take about half a day‘s
drive with some time to spend in the lowland forest to look out for birds
like White-browed Scimitar Babbler, White-bellied Woodpecker, Green-billed
Malkoha, Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, White- rumped Shama, Yellow-footed Pigeon,
Doves, Sunbirds and Prinias. Dinner will be at Kalaw where we will spend the
night.

Day.7 After a few minutes drive in the morning we will start birding in a
near by montane forest where we will find birds like Silver-eared Mesia,
Pin-tailed Pigeon, Hill Prinia, Striated Grassbird, Black Bulbul, Collared
Myna, and others. Later in the evening we will drive about 50 minutes to
Inlay Lake to check in a hotel and have dinner.

Day.8 Today’s boat ride in the lake will be for the Jerdon’s Bushchat and
White-tailed Bushchat which are found only in this area. Those who have
missed other water and shore birds earlier in the trip will have a chance to
find it here again. We will also have excellent views of Brown-headed Gull
and the Black-Headed Gull following the boat. After lunch we will transfer
to Taunggyi. Evening birding in Taunggyi will include Black and White
Bulbul, Chestnut-vented Nuthatch, Oriental White-eye, Flavacent Bulbuls in
our list.

Day.9 In the morning we will drive up to Taunggyi crag to look for birds
like Giant Nuthatch, White-browed Laughingthrush, White-throated Fantail,
Speckled Woodpigeon, Fire-capped Tip, Maroon Oriole, Little Pied Flycatcher
and Crested Bunting. After checking out from Taunggyi hotel we will drive to
Heho to catch an evening flight to Yangon.

Day.10 This last day morning will be at Hlawgar Wild life Park in the
outskirts of Yangon where the specialities are Pale-capped Pigeon,
Racket-tailed Treepie, Ruby-cheeked Sunbird, Scarlet- backed Flowerpecker,
Striped- throated Bulbul with white eye and Olive-backed Sunbird. We will
take an evening flight to depart from Yangon.

WATT - Wild Bird Adventure Travels & Tours
#5, Thazin Myaing Lane, Kyankhinsu Ward, Mingalardone Township,
Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) P.O Box 1136
Tel: (95+1) 666-469 Fax: (+95-1) 667- 968, Attn: Dr. Htin Hla
Email: Website: http://www.wa-tt.com