Dolomite Mountains - Excelsior Wellness Hotel

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

Default Dolomite Mountains - Excelsior Wellness Hotel

My wife and I have just booked several days at this hotel in the
Italian Alps for next summer. Just curious if anyone has stayed there
before. It is in the town of San Vigilio. The website is www.myexcelsior.com
Thanks for any input!

Old November 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

On 12 Nov 2007 15:21:25 -0800, Tom wrote:

My wife and I have just booked several days at this hotel in the
Italian Alps for next summer. Just curious if anyone has stayed there
before. It is in the town of San Vigilio. The website is www.myexcelsior.com
Thanks for any input!

I haven't stayed in that hotel, but St. Vigilio is nice. Quite small,
but in a very picturesque location. The north-south road to Corvara
can be a bugger with traffic (lots of tunnel construction and gravel
works).
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:21:12 +0100, Tim
C. has scripted:

On 12 Nov 2007 15:21:25 -0800, Tom wrote:

My wife and I have just booked several days at this hotel in the
Italian Alps for next summer. Just curious if anyone has stayed there
before. It is in the town of San Vigilio. The website is www.myexcelsior.com
Thanks for any input!

I haven't stayed in that hotel, but St. Vigilio is nice. Quite small,
but in a very picturesque location. The north-south road to Corvara
can be a bugger with traffic (lots of tunnel construction and gravel
works).

What's their German like in those parts?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

On Nov 13, 12:16 pm, Doesn't Frequently Mop
wrote:
Make credence recognised that on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:21:12 +0100, Tim
C. has scripted:

On 12 Nov 2007 15:21:25 -0800, Tom wrote:

My wife and I have just booked several days at this hotel in the
Italian Alps for next summer. Just curious if anyone has stayed there
before. It is in the town of San Vigilio. The website iswww.myexcelsior.com
Thanks for any input!

I haven't stayed in that hotel, but St. Vigilio is nice. Quite small,
but in a very picturesque location. The north-south road to Corvara
can be a bugger with traffic (lots of tunnel construction and gravel
works).

What's their German like in those parts?
--
---
DFM -http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--

Tim, thanks for the information. It should be an interesting trip.
Our first trip to Northern Italy and we don't speak a word of German.

Do you happen to know how far of a drive it would be to Val di Funes?
It does not look too far on a map, but that can be deceiving with the
mountains. Thanks for your help. BTW, it looks like a great little
village for relaxation which would be the main focus of the trip.

Old November 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:16:37 +0100, Doesn't Frequently Mop
wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:21:12 +0100, Tim
C. has scripted:

On 12 Nov 2007 15:21:25 -0800, Tom wrote:

My wife and I have just booked several days at this hotel in the
Italian Alps for next summer. Just curious if anyone has stayed there
before. It is in the town of San Vigilio. The website is www.myexcelsior.com
Thanks for any input!

I haven't stayed in that hotel, but St. Vigilio is nice. Quite small,
but in a very picturesque location. The north-south road to Corvara
can be a bugger with traffic (lots of tunnel construction and gravel
works).

What's their German like in those parts?

It's as good as any Austrian's. That is, similar to the "real thing"
but a bit difficult to understand. In St. Vigilio they also speak
Italian (of a sort) and one of the other small local latin/alpine
languages, which one I don't know.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:05:20 -0800, Tom wrote:

Val di Funes

from St Vigilio you can go 2 ways, the easiest is to go north round
the main road via Brüneck to Brixen which can be quick unless you hit
a busy commute time, then it's hell.

or you can go south via Corvara, and over Grödnerjoch/Gardena which is
a lot longer but extremely beautiful scenery.

The "direct" route is over the Würzjoch (Pso. Erba), a relatively low
pass, and a good road with lovely scenery, sort of south of Lusón. I
think that'd be the quickest route, given good traffic (mostly
motorbikes, I'd guess) I'd say 45 minutes to an hour, depending on
traffic/how fast you drive and where exactly in the valley you want to
get to.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

wrote:
[...]

languages, which one I don't know.- Hide quoted text -

Tim, thanks very much - you have been a big help. Do you live in the
area or just familiar with it? One more question - what is a
realistic drive time from Innsbruck to San Vigilio?

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

wrote:
[...]

realistic drive time from Innsbruck to San Vigilio?- Hide quoted text -

Tim, ok, one more question. This is the view that we would like to
see in Val di Funes. Do you know what area of the Valley it is
located or will it be easy to spot?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26safe%3Doff

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

wrote:
[...]

^

I've spent a lot of time on a motorbike around the Alps, and I know
the Dolomites' roads pretty well. I'm not too good on anything apart
from scenery and road surfaces though :-)

Innsbruck via the Brenner Autobahn, around 1:30. Excluding jams.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:13:27 -0800, Tom wrote:

wrote:
[...]

That's the church of San Giovanni/St. Johann in Ranui (built 1744 -
yes I looked it up :-) ).
It's very near the village of St. Maddelena, a few km's from
Villnöß/Funes. But should be pretty easy to spot. If you take the
road running near Colles, you should get another good view from above
as well.