Chicago Hotel with Family

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
Walt Tucker

Default Chicago Hotel with Family

We are a family of five (two adults, 13 yo, 11 yo, 8 yo). We are flying
into Chicago in June and want to spend a day or two doing family
friendly stuff downtown (Field museum, Navy pier, Aquarium, Grant Park,
Sears Tower, etc) before heading out to meet up with relatives in
Davenport, Iowa for a family reunion.

My experience in the Chicago area consists of only two past visits -- 1)
I stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Chicago once solo while attending a
conference, and 2) spent a few days around Schaumburg on business during
a different trip. I've been through O'Hare numerous times, but always
switching planes to go somewhere else.

Does anyone have suggestions for a family-friendly hotel in either
downtown Chicago or one of the close-in suburbs with easy (train or
other transit) access to downtown? Criteria -- Since I am paying for
this one, I'd like to keep the nightly rate to $150 or less. If we stay
in the 'burbs, commute to downtown should be under 45 minutes (also need
a place with weekend service). Pool for the kids a plus. Parking might
(or might not) be an issue, depending on when we pick up the rental car.

Thanks,

Walt

Old May 4th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Meg

Walt Tucker wrote in message ...
[...]

You may find suitable hotel whereever you need at
travel.webhosting-list.com. Try it.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:52 AM
eric h

In article ,
Walt Tucker wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions for a family-friendly hotel in either
downtown Chicago or one of the close-in suburbs with easy (train or
other transit) access to downtown?

Definitely stay in town--1.5 hours on the train each day would get real
old real fast. Any of the nicer joints on the north side, such as those
in the Neighborhood Inns of Chicago mini-chain (http://www.cityinns.com )
will be a short bus or train ride downtown. There's a Best Western on
Broadway that would fit the bill too. A pool is a long shot on your
budget, but you might get something at the Hyatt McCormick Place, which
should be kinda empty on weekends, anyways. The Rodeway Inn on Halsted in
Greektown is a bit out of the way too, but is in a pleasant enough
neighborhood.

You may also get lucky and get a reasonable rate at one of the downtown
hotels. My parents paid $85 or so at the Fairfield downtown, a fine
location if you can get it.
--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:55 PM

[...]

You're going to have a hard time finding a hotel with a pool in
downtown Chicago for $150 a night. If you go up to $200, you might
have a better chance. A lot of the downtown hotel room won't
accomodate 3 kids, but you should check Doubletree Suites, Lenox
Suites, and Embassy Suites. All would accomodate a larger family and
I'm sure Doubletree and Embassy have pools (not positive about Lenox).
We've got some pretty good rates at Lenox for family members (less
than $150, but that was in the winter).

Manda