[Brasil] Hotel Das Cataratas inside the Iguacu National Park

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Horst Willingshofer

Default [Brasil] Hotel Das Cataratas inside the Iguacu National Park

Hi,

who knows the Hotel Das Cataratas inside the Iguaçu National Park?
Are there hikingtrails to the falls?

How is the transportation between the hotel and the airport, normal
taxi, bus?
How much are costs for?

Horst
--
P.S.: Sorry about my English, corrections would be appreciated. ;-)
Homepage: http://members.aon.at/willingshofer
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM
John Cisarik

Horst:

I stayed at the Hotel Das Cataratas 10 years ago, but my guess is that it is
much the same today as it was then. If you reserve a room there, you might
want to ask for a room with a view of the falls. I was there with my mother,
who had a view of the falls (her room was right at the front of the hotel),
and mine had what was called a "partial" view of the falls, because it was
at one side of the hotel. I could see the falls, but I could also see the
jungle -- that was an unexpected pleasure, because I happened to see toucans
flying in the jungle. Regardless of how your room is situated, you can climb
some steps up to a sort of tower in the center of the hotel, just off the
lobby (there was a sign pointing to the stairway, but I don't remember what
it was called -- maybe mirador). The viewing point is above the treetops, to
you can see across the river without any obstructions to your view, and can
even see the one hotel in the national park on the Argentine side of the
falls.

The Hotel Das Cataratas faces the falls, most of which are across the river,
on the Argentine side. You get a better view of the falls from Brazil, but I
say that you "feel" them better in Argentina, because you are so much closer
to them, sometimes only a few feet away.

There is one walk along the falls that begins across the street from the
front of the Hotel Das Cataratas. There are various platforms along the way
as lookouts, and then, near the end of the walk, there is one concrete
platform built out over the river so that you can get a closer view of one
of the falls (I don't remember the name). At the very end of the walk, there
is an elevator that returns you to "street" level, because as you progressed
along the falls you gradually reached a point lower than where you began.

I was traveling in Argentina, so I flew into Puerto Iguazú, the airport in
Argentina. I took a taxi from there to the hotel in Brazil, and my
recollection is that it might have taken 15 minutes. I don't recall the
fare, but I do recall that we had to stop at the entrance to the park to pay
a small admission fee before the taxi could take us inside to the hotel.

P.S. Your English is perfectly understandable, and I am a retired editor.
"How much are costs for" might better be stated as "How much do they cost"
or "What are the costs for..." but as I said, there is no problem
understanding what you wrote.

Enjoy your trip!

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:51 PM
JohnM

In article , Horst Willingshofer
writes
Hi,

who knows the Hotel Das Cataratas inside the Iguaçu National Park?
Are there hikingtrails to the falls?

How is the transportation between the hotel and the airport, normal
taxi, bus?
How much are costs for?

Horst

Das Cataratas is one of the most famous hotels in Latin America with a
view of the Falls to match its prices. When I went to Foz de Iguaçu,
I followed the signs to the hotel to get to the Falls. If you can afford
it, stay there.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul