ROCKINESS

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Deb Vitous

Default ROCKINESS

We will be in the front of the ship on the Navigator. Is it very rocky? As
always, thanks!

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Howard Garland

Depends on what you mean by your question. If you hit rough seas head
on, you will experience more rockiness (I think it's called pitch but it
might be roll) that those in the middle of the ship. If you are high up
and front or back, you will experience this even more under the
conditions that I've described. If the seas are calm, it doesn't matter
where you are.

Howard - who enjoys 40'seas, cause he never gets seasick.

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Mike Cordelli

The captain will try to steer around any rocks, and just keep the ship in
the water.

Seriously, unless the seas are extremely rough, it won't be. Most modern
ships are stabilized so that there is very little motion.

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:40 PM
GRL

From personal experience, you may not get rockiness in that location, but in
~6' seas you may get an interesting lateral movement effect where the ship
seems to move/vibrate (low frequency) very slightly left and right as you
proceed. We observed this in an upper level cabin near the bow of a 110,000
ton cruise ship. I thought it kind of restful; my wife found it interfered
with her sleep.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Deb Vitous

Cute Mike!

The sister has sea sickness problems. I can handle anything. =)

. ..

Old September 13th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Mike Cordelli

Have her speak with her physician if she has one, they may be able to
prescribe something before hand.

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:37 PM
badger

FYI: Pitch is nose/bow up or down, ROLL is left to right rocking

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Rich Jones

The Voyeur series ships have these huge wings that are under water and
stabilize the ship. Last year on the roughest days the ship was still very
smooth. The best thing to take as far as I am concerned is the Non drowsy
Dramine. I am very susceptible to motion sickness and I was great.

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:38 AM
CupCaked

"Deb Vitous" wrote:

We will be in the front of the ship on the Navigator. Is it very rocky?

At that location, it more than likely will be if you hit a patch of
bad seas.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Mason Barge

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:38:04 -0500, "Rich Jones"
wrote:

The Voyeur series ships have these huge wings that are under water and
stabilize the ship. Last year on the roughest days the ship was still very
smooth. The best thing to take as far as I am concerned is the Non drowsy
Dramine. I am very susceptible to motion sickness and I was great.

This is true, stabilizers are a huge help for motion sickness in mild
to moderate seas, but it doesn't affect pitch. Stabilizers can only
stabilize a ship from the side to side "rolling" and also, I think,
"yaw" (alternating left and right movement of the bow).

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln