Flushing or Brooklyn?

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:54 AM
ant

Default Flushing or Brooklyn?

"Rita" wrote in message
I am not at all "sour" on the Gardens or the Brooklyn Museum next
door, but was thinking about having to change trains. It is a

possibility.
Much depends on the original poster's interests. . He mentioned shopping,
I believe, and there is really no shopping of interest in Brooklyn or
Queens.

what about ordinary shopping? not expensive shops. that's all I found in
Manhatten, and it was faintly annoying.

I've been stuck in a small town with no car (no wal mart!) since
november...it'd be nice to do some ordinary, normal shopping. Towels
(ordinary nice towels) and other assorted guff. This Fulton Mall near Jay St
station, I assume it'd have ordinary, normal shops?!

ant

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Miguel Cruz

ant wrote:
what about ordinary shopping? not expensive shops. that's all I found in
Manhatten, and it was faintly annoying.

I've been stuck in a small town with no car (no wal mart!) since
november...it'd be nice to do some ordinary, normal shopping. Towels
(ordinary nice towels) and other assorted guff. This Fulton Mall near Jay
St station, I assume it'd have ordinary, normal shops?!

Mostly it's clothing shops, jewelry, electronics, and so on. But the real
attraction is to people-watch - see how people dress and strut.

If you're just looking for utility shopping, I'd say the enclosed mall at
the Atlantic Avenue station (annoyingly, almost impossible to get directly
to from the A train - the fastest way is to walk 15 minutes east on Flatbush
from Fulton) is probably your best bet. There's a large Pathmark
supermarket, Old Navy, a bunch of housewares shops, and so on.

Then again, maybe there are other areas like this farther east in Brooklyn
and closer to the airport; I'm most familiar with the western half.

There are plenty of ordinary shops in Manhattan if you go to the right
neighborhoods. The upper west side, which is a very busy and dense
residential area, has all sorts of shops along Broadway. You can buy
anything (and I mean anything) in Chinatown.

miguel
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:56 AM
ant

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:54:30 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

(ordinary nice towels) and other assorted guff. This Fulton Mall near Jay

St
station, I assume it'd have ordinary, normal shops?!

mostly ghetto type $1 stores selling junk

bummer, I'm not after that. rats!
where are the normal shops where ordinary people buy stuff?

ant

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:59 AM
ant

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
ant wrote:
what about ordinary shopping? not expensive shops. that's all I found in
Manhatten, and it was faintly annoying.

I've been stuck in a small town with no car (no wal mart!) since
november...it'd be nice to do some ordinary, normal shopping. Towels
(ordinary nice towels) and other assorted guff. This Fulton Mall near

Jay
St station, I assume it'd have ordinary, normal shops?!

Mostly it's clothing shops, jewelry, electronics, and so on.

well, that sounds OK.

But the real
attraction is to people-watch - see how people dress and strut.

I like people watching.
maybe that'll be OK after all.

If you're just looking for utility shopping, I'd say the enclosed mall at
the Atlantic Avenue station (annoyingly, almost impossible to get directly
to from the A train - the fastest way is to walk 15 minutes east on

Flatbush
from Fulton) is probably your best bet. There's a large Pathmark
supermarket, Old Navy, a bunch of housewares shops, and so on.

I'll write that one down too.

Then again, maybe there are other areas like this farther east in Brooklyn
and closer to the airport; I'm most familiar with the western half.

There are plenty of ordinary shops in Manhattan if you go to the right
neighborhoods. The upper west side, which is a very busy and dense
residential area, has all sorts of shops along Broadway. You can buy
anything (and I mean anything) in Chinatown.

I was actually living in the upper west side when I was there. the shops
were OK but when I suddenly remembered I wanted to get some towels (US
towels are cheap and very good), I couldn't find any!
just an ordinary wal-mart type shop would have done. Bed Bath and Beyond
even better.

ant

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Brian Wickham

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:23:40 GMT, Pan wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:56:17 GMT, Brian Wickham
wrote:
. I've got nothing
against all these places but for a precious few hours I think Fifth
Ave in midtown or 34 St around Herald Square is a better experience.

Herald Square during peak hours is awful - terribly crowded.

Uhh....wouldn't that be part of the attraction for a visitor? Sure,
you and I stay away but we have other things to do.

Brian
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Brian Wickham

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:56:53 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

(ordinary nice towels) and other assorted guff. This Fulton Mall near Jay

St
station, I assume it'd have ordinary, normal shops?!

mostly ghetto type $1 stores selling junk

bummer, I'm not after that. rats!
where are the normal shops where ordinary people buy stuff?

That's hard to say. In New York you wait for a sale and then you buy.
You mentioned towels so I'll give an example. We spent a Saturday in
January looking at all the major department stores for sales. In
Bloomingdale's my wife bought some good quality, beautiful towels that
were marked down. The same day I got a Ralph Lauren down parka in
Macy's marked down 60%.

When you're traveling you don't have the luxury of waiting for sales.
But if you want clothing there is H&M, Century 21, Syms, Filene's
Basement, etc. If you want the usual mall shops then Fifth Ave has
the flagship stores for The Gap, Nautica, Banana Republic, and just
about any others you can think of.

This week Comp USA is selling a spindle of 25 Memorex DVD-/+R discs
for $25 that are $45 at J&R downtown. Next week, maybe not.

Brian
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:11 AM
ant

wrote:
. I've got nothing
against all these places but for a precious few hours I think Fifth
Ave in midtown or 34 St around Herald Square is a better experience.

Herald Square during peak hours is awful - terribly crowded.

Uhh....wouldn't that be part of the attraction for a visitor? Sure,
you and I stay away but we have other things to do.

nope, the crowds gave me the willies. you can't look at things, and look out
for the hoards heading straight at you. one reason I don't want to try
manhatten again. It was a bit scary actually.
It was a great experience, and one I am happy not to repeat.

ant

Old April 7th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Brian Wickham

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:11:10 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

"Brian Wickham" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:23:40 GMT, Pan wrote:

Herald Square during peak hours is awful - terribly crowded.

Uhh....wouldn't that be part of the attraction for a visitor? Sure,
you and I stay away but we have other things to do.

nope, the crowds gave me the willies. you can't look at things, and look out
for the hoards heading straight at you. one reason I don't want to try
manhatten again. It was a bit scary actually.
It was a great experience, and one I am happy not to repeat.

Now that would have been useful information at the start of this
thread! I don't recall you mentioning that you were purposely
avoiding Manhattan.

Brian
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:45 AM
eric h

My only familiarity with Jackson Heights is that I've wandered around
there looking for munchies while changing from the subway to bus to get to
LGA. I haven't been there in 10 years, at least, but I suspect the
munchie scene is as good as it ever was (the ability to grab a pile of
delicious samosas for 50 cents each counts for a lot in my book.)

But according to today's NY Times, there are other reasons to visit
Jackson Heights as well. More info at
http://www.jacksonheightscdc.org
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/04/nyregion/04jack.html

I agree with others that the E train through Queens beats the A train.
The A train is astoundingly slow and takes an awful long time to get
anywhere that you'd want to go. I suppose a quick trip to Rockaway is an
option, but I've never been there, so I don't know if I can recommend it.
--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Miguel Cruz

Brian Wickham wrote:
When you're traveling you don't have the luxury of waiting for sales.
But if you want clothing there is H&M, Century 21, Syms, Filene's
Basement, etc. If you want the usual mall shops then Fifth Ave has
the flagship stores for The Gap, Nautica, Banana Republic, and just
about any others you can think of.

Lots of largish clothing stores along these lines on 6th Ave south of 23rd.

This week Comp USA is selling a spindle of 25 Memorex DVD-/+R discs
for $25 that are $45 at J&R downtown. Next week, maybe not.

For non-sale items, though, J&R seems to consistently be a better deal.

miguel