Seattle to New York and DC

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Default Seattle to New York and DC

I've just learned that I may have to be in Washington DC for a
graduation in mid-June. While there, I figured I might visit my niece
in NYC. Can anyone tell me the easiest/most economical way to do this...

Fly roundtrip to NYC and take train to and from DC?

Fly roundtrip to DC and take train to and from NYC?

Fly "open jaws" into one and fly home from the other?

I will be staying in central locations in both NYC and DC. How difficult
is it to get to and from the airports in either of these places? Are
there regular shuttles? Buses or subways? I realize there is a choice of
airports for both cities, but don't know which is most convenient.
Thanks for any advice.

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Mark Hewitt

wrote in message ...
I've just learned that I may have to be in Washington DC for a
graduation in mid-June. While there, I figured I might visit my niece
in NYC. Can anyone tell me the easiest/most economical way to do this...

Fly roundtrip to NYC and take train to and from DC?

Fly roundtrip to DC and take train to and from NYC?

Fly "open jaws" into one and fly home from the other?

I will be staying in central locations in both NYC and DC. How difficult
is it to get to and from the airports in either of these places? Are
there regular shuttles? Buses or subways? I realize there is a choice of
airports for both cities, but don't know which is most convenient.
Thanks for any advice.

Hey I've done almost exactly the same trip, Seattle, DC and New York. Tho I
did start from the UK.

Anyway, my suggestion of the ideal way to do it (not necessarily cheapest).
Is to fly from SeaTac into Regan International in DC. Then you can get the
Metro to downtown.

DC to NYC get the train from Union Station to Penn Station.

Then fly back to Seattle from one of the NY area airports.

Equally as easy in the opposite direction I would imagine.

Old April 7th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

D.C. is easily accesible from DCA by subway. Less so from IAD. BWI is
accessible by train to either city after you take a shuttle bus to the
train station.

Thanks for the info. I just did a "quick and dirty" Expedia search and
discovered that Baltimore is about $70 cheaper, roundtrip, than the DC
and NYC airports. It sounds like Baltimore might be most convenient
overall. How long is the train trip from Baltimore to either city, and
about how much does it cost?

You also mentioned "other means" of travel between these places. Could
you tell me what they are? Also, does one need to reserve a place on
these trains or do you just walk into the station and buy a ticket?
Thanks so much. Terri

Old April 7th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mark Hewitt wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I agree completely. I don't think you can get a non-stop from Seattle to DCA
(National Airport, called "Reagan" by some), but it's more than made up for
by the immense hassle of getting into town from BWI or (ugh!) Dulles.

In New York, it's now quite easy, if not cheap, to get to Newark and JFK by
train. LaGuardia requires a bus but it's still the fastest and cheapest.

miguel
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Miguel Cruz

In article , wrote:
Thanks for the info. I just did a "quick and dirty" Expedia search and
discovered that Baltimore is about $70 cheaper, roundtrip, than the DC
and NYC airports.

Yes, Baltimore is usually the cheapest of the DC-area airports. But I'm
surprised it's cheaper than NYC. Did you price an open jaw? Also, in my
experience, Expedia is the most expensive of the major online ticket sites
so it's worth trying Orbitz and Travelocity.

It sounds like Baltimore might be most convenient overall. How long is
the train trip from Baltimore to either city, and about how much does it
cost?

BWI to New York is about $60 on Amtrak. Takes about two and a half hours.

BWI to DC is about $6 and takes a little over an hour. On weekdays you can
take the free shuttle to BWI rail station and then ride the MARC train. But
check the schedule first because it's not always that frequent. And it
doesn't run at all on weekends. On weekends or when you don't think you're
going to hit the MARC train you can take the DC Metrobus for $2.50 to the
Greenbelt Metro station and then ride the Metro to wherever you need to go.

You also mentioned "other means" of travel between these places. Could
you tell me what they are?

Bus?

Also, does one need to reserve a place on these trains or do you just walk
into the station and buy a ticket?

Some Amtrak trains require a reservation; many do not. You'll have to look
on amtrak.com and punch in your proposed travel times. 'U' means unreserved;
you can just show up and buy a ticket. Usually you can on reserved trains
as well; but sometimes they sell out.

miguel

Old April 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Mark Hewitt wrote:

Anyway, my suggestion of the ideal way to do it (not necessarily

cheapest).
Is to fly from SeaTac into Regan International in DC. Then you can get

the
Metro to downtown.

DC to NYC get the train from Union Station to Penn Station.

Then fly back to Seattle from one of the NY area airports.

I agree completely. I don't think you can get a non-stop from Seattle to

DCA

You can, Alaska Airlines flies that route.

Old April 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Mark Brader

Miguel Cruz:
I agree completely. I don't think you can get a non-stop from Seattle to
DCA

Mark Hewitt:
You can, Alaska Airlines flies that route.

Nonstop, really?

It used to be that no flights to DCA were allowed from points beyond a
limit of, I believe, 750 miles away.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
you are the product."
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Miguel Cruz:
I agree completely. I don't think you can get a non-stop from Seattle

DCA

Mark Hewitt:
You can, Alaska Airlines flies that route.

Nonstop, really?

It used to be that no flights to DCA were allowed from points beyond a
limit of, I believe, 750 miles away.

Alaska Airlines flys a daily service flight No. 1 departs DCA for SEA in the
morning and returns in the afternoon as flight No. 2.