A few last questions...luggage tags and cell phone

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default A few last questions...luggage tags and cell phone

Sue Mullen wrote:

John Sisker wrote:

In addition, even having a small stapler in our tote bag for this
purpose, does not seem like a good idea in this case, especially with
all the airport security to go through. However, as an easy solution,
we simple bring a small plastic scotch tape dispenser with us. It
serves the same purpose, and should not be questioned.

Another solution would be to put a stapler in her checked luggage.

sue

I was going to do that, but when I mentioned that to my niece she said
she just used tape on her last cruise. I was going to follow
instructions, but I did throw some tape in my suitcase.

Marcia
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Marcia R." wrote in message

I was going to do that, but when I mentioned that to my niece she said she
just used tape on her last cruise. I was going to follow instructions,
but I did throw some tape in my suitcase.

Marcia

Marcia,
I always take a roll of scotch tape in carry-on which I use to tape the
luggage tags together. There are also many other uses that I have found
scotch tape handy for, such as taping a little decoration on our cabin door
to make it easy to spot and find...last time it was a little felt penguin
with a yellow hat, red bow tie & bells and at a Valentine's Day cruise, I
had some red foil hearts with crinkly streamers that I taped on our door. It
comes in handy for a temporary hem repair and if wound around you finger
with the sticky side out, it removes lint that seems to be a magnet on black
skirts, knit tops and tuxedos.

--Jean

Old June 18th, 2010, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

Sounds good, thanks.

Marcia
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 1:28*am, "Marcia R." wrote:
Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

Marcia- Hide quoted text -

The longshoremen will have staplers at the pier.

Lola in Hamilton
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

If you leaving a hotel for the cruise ship, you need to have the luggage
tags on before you leave; waiting to get to the pier indicates that you
will be handling the luggage entirely yourself from the hotel. You
won't. Scotch tape is simple, easy, and as another pointed out, can be
used for other things beside taping luggage tags together around your
suitcase handles. Likewise, even if you choose to bring a stapler, you
would have to carry it in your tote bag for easy access. And even then,
try to explain to authorities why you have a stapler if they do discover
it. Yes, it can be explained away, but why go through that hassle and
take chances? And good luck trying to get hotel personnel to hunt down a
stapler for you and bring it up to the room.

Incidentally, I was rather surprised that Princess Cruises suggested
stapling the luggage tags together when I downloaded and printed them
out; for other related things I they always say to tape together.
Sometimes basic logic should prevail.

John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com / www.tinplatedesign.com
Facebook/Twitter/Blog/Flickr/MyPage

I am going to tape everything on at the hotel, thanks.

Marcia
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:53:22 -0700, "John Sisker"
wrote:

[...]

Incidentally, it's a good idea to put the tag even on the bags someone
plans to take on themselves. We were with a group that come the port
on buses. Before we could get out, the baggage handlers had gotten our
carryon items that contained medicine but didn't have tags on them. We
and some friends frantically searched for them and eventually found
them. This was in Rome so there was a language problem also.
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Marcia R. conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said On 6/16/2010
7:17 PM:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Marcia R." wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Marcia R." wrote:

Plus, if we are in port in Seattle or Alaska, do calls from the
ship use towers on land at that point, or do you still go through
the ship?
If you are in a port, then they usually turn off the ship's
towers. Most likely contract requirements. The easiest thing to do
is once you get into port, turn on the cell. If it is not roaming
go ahead, if it is, then decide based on your roaming costs.
Hmmm, how do I tell if it's roaming? Sorry, but I'm blonde. LOL.

My phone asks me if I want to roam before it puts it through. That
is how I got mine set up. Most phones have some sort of message on
the screen if you are roaming.

OK, thanks. :-)

Marcia

Not to worry, T-mobile with most plans includes free long distance and
free roaming. It will be transparent to you, the only difference is it
may say something besides T-mobile on your main screen.

To get an idea for coverage look up the coverage map at the T-mobile web
site. I think all you have to do is enter a city, state or zip code to
see the coverage for an area.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Marcia R." :

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Marcia R." wrote:

Plus, if we are in
port in Seattle or Alaska, do calls from the ship use towers on land at
that point, or do you still go through the ship?

If you are in a port, then they usually turn off the ship's towers.
Most likely contract requirements. The easiest thing to do is once you
get into port, turn on the cell. If it is not roaming go ahead, if it
is, then decide based on your roaming costs.

Hmmm, how do I tell if it's roaming? Sorry, but I'm blonde. LOL.

My phone tells me who the carrier is. Cable & Wireless in the Cayman
Islands, Telmex in Cozumel, Orange or O2 in Australia. On the ship it
will be Cellular @ Sea. With AT&T there are specific rates from each
country. For Mexico I can pay $.45 a minute without the optional
international calling or $.25/min with it. SMS is $.50 a pop
regardless of location.

In Alaska you should have your own carrier. Assuming you have any
signal at all. I'm not sure who it is in Canada.

Marcia

--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)