Cruise Policies That Hurt Cruisers

Old June 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Cruise Policies That Hurt Cruisers

On 6/17/2010 11:19 AM, Jeff Gersten wrote:

When someone comes to you as a travel agent and they are new to
cruising, do you make sure that they know what is and is not included
when they pay the fare?

I would think that most good travel agents do. Usually the first thing
we have to explain is that the prices listed on the cruise line's
websites don't include taxes. For a family of 4 on a seven day cruise,
that could add up to another $400.

Then there is tipping.... figure $10 pp per day on most of the
mass-market lines. That adds another $280 to the bill for the family of 4.

Another cost is passports. Add another $400 for a family of 4 if they
are needed.

After that... the fees are mostly optional. Sodas, drinks, shore
excursions, purchases, alternative restaurants... all add to the total
cost but are not mandatory.

I know of people whose onboard purchases are more than the cruise
fare..... but then there are people like me who hardly spend anything.
I think most people can budget their onboard purchases to stay within
their means.

--
George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.Countryside-Travel.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

On 6/17/2010 12:53 PM, Harry Cooper wrote:

Hi George,

Cruise line rates for ship to shore phone service used to be one step
below armed robbery. Now that most people have a cell phone surgically
implanted, I don't hear anything about that "service". Is it still so
costly?

Harry Cooper

Harry, the last time I looked it was $7.50 a minute but that was a few
years ago. On my very first cruise in 1989, it was $14.50 a minute.

Like you said, with cell phones and good internet connections readily
available, using the ship's phone system to call home would be very rare.

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:53:39 -0500, "Harry Cooper"
wrote:

"George Leppla" wrote in message
[...]

Apples and Oranges
Thumper

Old June 18th, 2010, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 6/17/2010 10:02 PM, Cruise Crazy wrote:
The closest we ever came to a truly 'all inclusive cruise' was the one
we recently tool on Regent Seven Seas. Gratuities. drinks, excursions
and the specialty coffees and all sodas were included. BUT...the price
is much higher and not everyone wants or need all that is included. We
even had a SBC which I probably spent in one of the shops.

A co-worker did the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos, which truly is
all-inclusive. She had OBC and I think they had to refund it to her
because there was nothing to spend it on. Of course this was back before
they started with non-refundable OBC.

Bill
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_4_]

On 6/17/2010 9:24 PM, Bill wrote:
A co-worker did the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos, which truly
is all-inclusive. She had OBC and I think they had to refund it to her
because there was nothing to spend it on. Of course this was back
before they started with non-refundable OBC.

Bill

Let's hear it for non-refundable OBC. Thbbbtttt!

Becca
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:38:21 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

I know of people whose onboard purchases are more than the cruise
fare..... but then there are people like me who hardly spend anything.
I think most people can budget their onboard purchases to stay within
their means.

Being frugal when poor is an admirable thing, George. Kudos.
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:28:42 -0500, Barbara Brown wrote:

They are no different from the airlines charging for every little thing
now. I heard they were going to offer early boarding FOR A FEE.

They do it's call First Class. Or whatever.
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG