Traveling on one-way tickets

Old January 11th, 2016, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Default Traveling on one-way tickets

Martin wrote:
Seems like your answer would not apply to American passengers going to
continental Europe by KLM. (or Mexicans/United or ....)

Britain is not in Schengen.

But it is in the EU and its citizens have freedom of movement within the
EU. No proof of length of stay required. Not so for Americans.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
SMS

On 1/2/2016 3:10 AM, Tom P wrote:
On 12/21/2015 04:48 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

The problem might arise before you even get there, when you want to
check in for the flight. We had that problem once going the other way
(Europe-Mexico) and the checkin clerk said we needed a return ticket in
case we were refused entry and the airline would have to fly us back.
Just following orders of course.

You could just by a full-fare refundable one way ticket back and then
cancel it for a full refund as soon as you arrived.
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 01/16/2016 09:27 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/2/2016 3:10 AM, Tom P wrote:
On 12/21/2015 04:48 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

The problem might arise before you even get there, when you want to
check in for the flight. We had that problem once going the other way
(Europe-Mexico) and the checkin clerk said we needed a return ticket in
case we were refused entry and the airline would have to fly us back.
Just following orders of course.

You could just by a full-fare refundable one way ticket back and then
cancel it for a full refund as soon as you arrived.

Which is what we did. You just need to be fluid enough G
Old January 30th, 2016, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2016-01-30 16:51:38 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:22:01 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Britain is not in Schengen.

But in the EU, which entitles UK citizens to freedom of movement.
The passport check is just a formality.

Not really the check is to filter out Non-EU members too
The thoroughness of the check depends on whether the check is at an airport, or
ferry terminal or land boundary.

When I took the ferry from Portsmouth to France in 2002, I stayed at
the railing to watch the ship approach the dock. Then discovered
everyone already departed and it took a while before I found my way out
through the ship's loading dock. No one cared.

A similar situation existed when I visited Ireland. Between the
Republic and UK sides of Ireland, there was no border controls.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old January 30th, 2016, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_3_]

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:51:38 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:22:01 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

Britain is not in Schengen.

But in the EU, which entitles UK citizens to freedom of movement.
The passport check is just a formality.

Not really the check is to filter out Non-EU members too
The thoroughness of the check depends on whether the check is at an airport, or
ferry terminal or land boundary.

Sometimes at land boundaries the check doesn't even exist. I have
walked from France (Menton) to Italy (Ventimiglia) and back without
even being stopped.

Old January 31st, 2016, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

The passport check is just a formality.
The thoroughness of the check depends on whether the check
is at an airport, or ferry terminal or land boundary.

Sometimes at land boundaries the check doesn't even exist. I have
walked from France (Menton) to Italy (Ventimiglia) and back without
even being stopped.

I once got a lift with my stepdaughter late at night from Trieste
to Rijeka. You would think that, being two fairly sizable cities
with nowhere very big in between, that the route ought to be
visibly signposted. No such luck. We ended up weaving up and
down back roads in the hills passing signs every so often saying
we were entering Slovenia, or Italy, or Slovenia again, or Croatia
this time, or back into Slovenia yet again, without passing a
single waking human being.

Old January 31st, 2016, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2016-01-30 22:31:12 +0000, Martin said:

When I took the ferry from Portsmouth to France in 2002, I stayed at
the railing to watch the ship approach the dock. Then discovered
everyone already departed and it took a while before I found my way out
through the ship's loading dock. No one cared.

We were once on a ferry that arrived from Ramsgate England at Dunkirk around
01:00 We took a berth because our two children were young and tired. We woke up
around 03:00 the ferry was deserted. Our car was alone on the car deck.
We drove
off and out of the port without seeing anybody.

That is amazing. I bet you were glad you didn't wake up to find the
ship heading back to England!

Old January 31st, 2016, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2016-01-30 16:51:38 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:22:01 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Britain is not in Schengen.

But in the EU, which entitles UK citizens to freedom of movement.
The passport check is just a formality.

Not really the check is to filter out Non-EU members too
The thoroughness of the check depends on whether the check is at an
airport, or
ferry terminal or land boundary.

When I took the ferry from Portsmouth to France in 2002, I stayed at the
railing to watch the ship approach the dock. Then discovered everyone
already departed and it took a while before I found my way out through the
ship's loading dock. No one cared.

A similar situation existed when I visited Ireland. Between the Republic
and UK sides of Ireland, there was no border controls.

That's correct there are no border controls between the UK/Ireland (hasn't
been since before Ireland joined the EU), but that state of affairs is
sustainable because neither are in Schengen.

Of course, this works the other way in the other European "Free Travel
Area" - Scandinavia, in that Norway has to be part of Schengen in order to
preserve its historic lack of customs controls at the land border with
Sweden/Finland (and Denmark if you count ferry crossings)

tim

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016, Ken Blake wrote:

Sometimes at land boundaries the check doesn't even exist. I have
walked from France (Menton) to Italy (Ventimiglia) and back without
even being stopped.

How long ago ? Checks were abolished at some time. You mean Ponte San
Luigi or Ponte San Ludovico crossings ? Or you mean walking along the
beach ?

I've never been checked on the boats on Lake Lugano (I usually do a trip
starting at Porto Ceresio, Italy, then doing a walk somewhere in
Switzerland, and continuing by boat to Porlezza (Italy). I once alighted
in Campione (an italian enclave within Switzerland) then climbed a path
in the woods back into Switzerland and down to the lake.

I also did a hike through Splugen pass on the old mule way and there
were no checks at all.

The funny thing was that I was concerned because my identity card was
stamped on the back (at some time the validity of the card was extended
from 5 to 10 years with such a a stamp), and I heard that Switzerland
might not like such extension of the printed expiry date. I even tried
to get a new card, but at the town hall after a 90 min queue they
refused my carefully taken photographs because of reflection in the
glasses I wear. So I went away, sent an e-mail to the Swiss consulate
and within 2 hours I got a reply with attached all the official
documentation (they do accept a "paper" identity card stamped on the
back, they do not accept an "electronic' (plastic) identity card with
the extension stamp on a separate piece of paper.

Anyhow, when my identity card finally expired, I booked for an
electronic one (one has to book 6 months in advance :-() for which they
take the picture on the spot (and just in case I brought a mount without
lenses :-)), and now I am OK for 10-years-and-odd (the validity is at
the next birthday after the 10 years :-))
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 9:33:41 AM UTC, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
[...]

There's a small area on the Dutch/Belgian border that has two dozen (or so!) mini-enclaves all over the place, with some borders going through houses etc. You could change countries 20 times in 5 minutes. Goodness knows why this hasn't been sorted - an historical idiocy - but try policing that!