Traveling to London 06/09/04 to 20/09/04

Old August 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Tnilc Stone

Default Traveling to London 06/09/04 to 20/09/04

Hi I'm going to london on the 06/09/04 until the 20/09/04 and have no
idea what to pack I am a 23 year old male could you please give me
some advice.
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM
tim

"Tnilc Stone" wrote in message
om...
Hi I'm going to london on the 06/09/04 until the 20/09/04 and have no
idea what to pack I am a 23 year old male could you please give me
some advice.

Presuming you are enquiring about the weather, it will be warm
but not hot during the day, it could get cold in the evening and you
will then need a jacket/pullover. You will not need winter clothes

There is the probability it will rain on more than one day so you
will need a rain jacket.

tim

Old August 29th, 2004, 08:46 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Tnilc Stone wrote:

Hi I'm going to london on the 06/09/04 until the 20/09/04 and have no
idea what to pack I am a 23 year old male could you please give me
some advice.

What do you wear at home? SFAIK, there's not much difference, unless
you're nudist (in which case London might prove a little chilly.)

Old August 30th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:35:57 +0200, "tim"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
"tim" wrote in message

Though it's a great city, London is horribly overpriced,
so buy enough of anything you might otherwise use up
during your stay (like shaving cream, toothpaste, contact
lens solution,

I think you'll find that in most countries you go to for a
holiday these will be much more expesive than at home,
you just don't know which shops to go to and end up
buying them in a corner shop.

Easily remedied by asking a couple locals where to shop.

Yes, I know, but I was replying to the other poster's IMHO
biased view. I doubt very much that a basic tube of toothpaste
costs more in a Tesco Supermarket than it does in Carrefour,
Ahold, Real or Esselunga. But having had to make a distress
purchase of toothpaste in other countries, I can assure you that
it is always damned expensive to buy toothpase in tourist
emergency shops.

Most tourists don't know what a Tesco is.

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM
Richard

wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:34:22 -0600, Hatunen wrote:
Most tourists don't know what a Tesco is.

Most American tourists?

Isn't "a Tesco *Supermarket*" a bit of a give away?

Not to mention anyone who's not confined to guided bus tours will probably
walk by one or two while in London.

Richard

Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Richard

"Alan Harrison" wrote in message

As a midlander in southern exile, my great London price
moan is about how expensive a pint of beer is down here.
I pay the same for a newspaper or a tube of toothpaste as
I would back hom in Walsall, and can't for the life of me
understand why I get charged 40 or 50 pence more for a
jar, expecially when it's a local London brew like Fuller's.

Really? Perhaps I went the wrong way when I decided to explore England
outside of London (I went to Nottingham, then Manchester) but my impression
was that a pint cost the same give or take 10 or 20p in all three cities.

Essentially nowhere, except that big chain of pubs (Witherspoon?) that I
avoided like the plague as they seemed far too sterile and without
character, did I ever see a pint for less than two quid.

Richard

Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Alan Harrison

"David Horne" wrote in message
news:1gjhu8e.1ypx2d116u5tooN%this_address_is_for_s ...

I live in Manchester, and used to live in London, and I can assure you
that there's a fairly substantial difference in prices- I'd put it as
much as around 50p a pint.

I would agree. When I was recently visiting my folks in Walsall, the bloke
who served me at the Turf - http://freespace.virgin.net/altair.4/turf.htm -
apologised for the high price (two quid) of the especially strong guest beer
they had on that night. Most bitters are £1.80, and mild is cheaper. In
London, even in the unfashionable area where I live, you commonly get
knocked at least £2.20. There is one notable exception, as mentioned by
David:

Wetherspoons are a big chain, of course, and there is something of a
sameness about a lot of them, but I still think they have a lot going
for them. For a start, they always have non-smoking areas, and most of
their branches don't play music. Also, in some cities, they have
reoccupied some pretty impressive properties- I'm thinking recently of
the one I was in near the main Newcastle train station. And, as you
mention, the prices are excellent.

Wetherspoons have extremely good prices, even in London. The lack of
character of which some posters have complained largely reflects the fact
that the premises are normally converted from other purposes. For instance,
the Good Yarn in Uxbridge is a former tailor's shop. The Imperial in Walsall
is a former cinema, previously notorious for monster flicks. It has a
mammoth in the former balcony seats, and when it first opened as a boozer,
the first thing you saw on entering was a brontosaurus's bum. (The reptile
has since been removed to provide more space for imbibing!)

Alan Harrison

Old September 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
Ed Dente

Richard wrote:
: "Rita" wrote in message
: ...

: I had to buy some over the counter meds while in
: London this spring and found them to cost considerably
: less than in the U.S. What's more I could obtain some
: that are available only by prescription in the U.S.

: That's the exception that makes the rule!

: Medication of any sort is almost always more costly in the US.

: If you do the research, you'll find articles about Americans going to Mexico
: and Canada to stock up on medications at a fraction of the price they're
: used to paying in the US.

You'll never be more conscious of this than if you cross from Nogales AZ to Nogales MX.
You'd think the Mexico town comprises nothing but pharmacies. Last time I was there I
didn't notice, but I can't imagine Nogales AZ can support more than one.
(Hyperbole, I guess, but that's what it seems like.)
Ed