Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Tom Welch

Default Survey; Do you carry a radio when traveling?

Do you carry a radio with you
when traveling?

If so, what is the brand and
model?

Tom Welch
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Miguel Cruz

Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:21:53 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

A short wave radio can be handy if you are spending time in remote areas
and still want to know what is happening in the world. It is a bigger
deal if you plan to carry on through areas with potential for turmoil. I
wouldn't call it essential but it might reduce the surprise factor when
you return to civilization.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old September 21st, 2003, 01:14 AM
Miguel Cruz

Eric Edwards wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tom Welch wrote:
Do you carry a radio with you when traveling?

What for?

A short wave radio can be handy if you are spending time in remote areas
and still want to know what is happening in the world. It is a bigger
deal if you plan to carry on through areas with potential for turmoil. I
wouldn't call it essential but it might reduce the surprise factor when
you return to civilization.

Ah, count me out then! One of my favorite things after a month in the desert
is to catch up on the "best of" version of all the news that happened while
I was blissfully oblivious. It's fun to watch the curve of a story over
time.

Old September 21st, 2003, 07:20 PM
Tom Welch

I carry a Sangean DT 200 pocket radio
in my daypack all the time. It is
great on batteries and uses AAs.
Click http://www.radiointel.com/review-dt200v.htm
to learn more.

Tom Welch
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:22 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Tom Welch at
wrote on 9/21/03 3:20 PM:

I carry a Sangean DT 200 pocket radio
in my daypack all the time. It is
great on batteries and uses AAs.
Click
http://www.radiointel.com/review-dt200v.htm
to learn more.

Tom Welch

I carry a Sony knock-off shortwave that I bought for USD$9 in Pleiku,
Vietnam. Five years and four continents later, it's still working,
astoundingly. I agree with Miguel that it's not always in use, but I'll
usually tune in to BBC world service every few days even when out bush - it
would have been most disconcerting to be the last person on earth to hear of
Osama.....

Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:44 AM
Eric Ferguson

I use a Yaesu VR-500. It covers AM, FM, SW, LW, etc. Tunes from 100 Khz to
1,300 Mhz with a few gaps. (Cellular being one.) Tuning modes are AM, Narrow
AM (with a few keystrokes), Wide FM, Narrow FM, LSB, and USB. Fits in the
palm of your hand and runs on 2 AA batteries. It also has 1000 programmable
channels & the Weather channels built in. But don't use the antenna that
comes with it. Eric KA6USJ

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Eric Ferguson mused:

| I use a Yaesu VR-500. It covers AM, FM, SW, LW, etc. Tunes from 100 Khz to
| 1,300 Mhz with a few gaps. (Cellular being one.) Tuning modes are AM,
| Narrow AM (with a few keystrokes), Wide FM, Narrow FM, LSB, and USB. Fits
| in the palm of your hand and runs on 2 AA batteries. It also has 1000
| programmable channels & the Weather channels built in. But don't use the
| antenna that comes with it.

Does it make coffee as well? ;-)

Old September 24th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Phil

"Tom Welch" wrote in message
om...
Do you carry a radio with you
when traveling?

If so, what is the brand and
model?

Tom Welch

I carry one 'o dem clockwork thingies and I don't need any more spam just
now, thank you Tom