Can't find cheap accomodations in Hong Kong

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:43 AM
Hallvard

Default Can't find cheap accomodations in Hong Kong

I was planning on staying at the YMCA guesthouse's dorm in Hong Kong
(HK$ 210 + 10% tax), but upon mailing them was told that it was full,
and I can't seem to find any similar places that I can afford.

I was thinking about getting a safe place with lockers etc. for the
first couple of days, before I get hold of some safety gear for my
backpack (http://www.pac-safe.com), and after that stay at some cheap
place like Chung King or Mirador mansions (where I suppose you may risk
getting stuff stolen if you don't take the appropriate measurements).

Are there decent, safe places to stay in Hong Kong without having to
part with an arm and a leg in the beginning of November this year?

Hallvard

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Hallvard wrote:
I was planning on staying at the YMCA guesthouse's dorm in Hong Kong
(HK$ 210 + 10% tax), but upon mailing them was told that it was full,
and I can't seem to find any similar places that I can afford.

I was thinking about getting a safe place with lockers etc. for the
first couple of days, before I get hold of some safety gear for my
backpack (http://www.pac-safe.com), and after that stay at some cheap
place like Chung King or Mirador mansions (where I suppose you may risk
getting stuff stolen if you don't take the appropriate measurements).

You can usually find a private room in those buildings.

miguel
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:24 AM
Doug T

Did you try the Salisbury YMCA in Kowloon. I stayed there (they have youth
hostel rooms) and it was really nice. It was 2 sets of bunk beds a big
locker for each person with a lock, a safe, and a bathroom that the 4 of you
share. It is very central to everything that you need to get to.

Enjoy,
Doug

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:47 AM
Hallvard

Doug T wrote:
Did you try the Salisbury YMCA in Kowloon. I stayed there (they have youth
hostel rooms) and it was really nice. It was 2 sets of bunk beds a big
locker for each person with a lock, a safe, and a bathroom that the 4 of you
share. It is very central to everything that you need to get to.

Yes, that's the one I tried I believe, and they were full up unfortunately.

Hallvard

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:49 AM
Hallvard

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Hallvard wrote:

I was thinking about getting a safe place with lockers etc. for the
first couple of days, before I get hold of some safety gear for my
backpack (http://www.pac-safe.com), and after that stay at some cheap
place like Chung King or Mirador mansions (where I suppose you may risk
getting stuff stolen if you don't take the appropriate measurements).

You can usually find a private room in those buildings.

That's good to hear. I suppose they charge a lot (as with most
hotels/hostels in Hong Kong), but works for a little while?

Is it usually not too hard to find a vacant place to stay in around
Chung King/Mirador mansions? I'll be going in the beginning of November.

Hallvard

Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Miguel Cruz

Hallvard wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
You can usually find a private room in those buildings.

That's good to hear. I suppose they charge a lot (as with most
hotels/hostels in Hong Kong), but works for a little while?

Is it usually not too hard to find a vacant place to stay in around
Chung King/Mirador mansions? I'll be going in the beginning of November.

It's not hard if you're used to it. The first time it's a little weird.

miguel
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:39 PM
Hallvard

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Hallvard wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

You can usually find a private room in those buildings.

That's good to hear. I suppose they charge a lot (as with most
hotels/hostels in Hong Kong), but works for a little while?

Is it usually not too hard to find a vacant place to stay in around
Chung King/Mirador mansions? I'll be going in the beginning of November.

It's not hard if you're used to it. The first time it's a little weird.

Any useful tips for a newbie on how to go about finding a place to
sleep, in addition to what you've already said (talking with other
people who look like backpackers when arriving at the airport etc.)

Hallvard

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
June

Try this link
http://hk.hotel.com.hk/index_eng.php

Let me know which price range you prefer and I can advise on location/
conveniences etc.
June
Hong Kong

Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

June wrote:

Try this link
http://hk.hotel.com.hk/index_eng.php

Let me know which price range you prefer and I can advise on location/
conveniences etc.
June
Hong Kong

Thanks. I'll try the link.

As cheap as possible!
I can't say any exact sum of money, but I'm travelling to a lot of
places around the world for a long time, so I want to save money on
accomodation and instead have more money for seeing places etc.

As long as the place is safe, reasonably clean and lets me sleep at
night (i.e. not too noisy, even though I'll bring ear-plugs) I'm happy.
I don't need a single room if I can save a lot on staying at a dorm.

Hallvard