Mobile Phones in France

Old March 16th, 2004, 12:56 PM
PB&JM

Default Mobile Phones in France

Hello all,
I will be travelling to France at the end of the week and have a question
regarding "pre-paid" cards for mobile phones.
In Australia I can purchase a "Red" Vodafone card which is pre paid and can
be toped up allowing me to either make or receive national or international
calls.

Is this the case in France? I have tried their website, but alas it's in
French LOL, funny that.

Anyway I have a "unlocked phone" and will be using the phone very little.
I am not keen on using Global roaming with my own carrier as a friend
recently returned from France having done the same thing and had many
problems.

Thanks In advance

Paul

Old March 16th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Peter

Op Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:56:46 +1100 schreef PB&JM:

Hello all,
I will be travelling to France at the end of the week and have a question
regarding "pre-paid" cards for mobile phones.
In Australia I can purchase a "Red" Vodafone card which is pre paid and can
be toped up allowing me to either make or receive national or international
calls.

Is this the case in France? I have tried their website, but alas it's in
French LOL, funny that.

Try this url, it's in english for foreign customers staying in France:
http://www.sfr.com/en/index.jsp.
Otherwise, your local vendor should be able to tell you if your card works
in France.
BTW, my (subscribed, Dutch) mobile phone offers the poosibilitie to choose
different providers in France. If available, bouytel might be cheaper.

Peter
Squat Toilets, travel guide about France
http://www.hurktoilet.nl/index-en.html
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Inge Harsten

"PB&JM" skrev i melding
Hello all,
I will be travelling to France at the end of the week and have a question
regarding "pre-paid" cards for mobile phones.

- - - -

Hi.

As long as the phone is unlocked your by far cheapest option is to buy a
prepaid card locally, put the SIM into your existing phone and after
activation you have a local French phone number and may receive and make
phonecalls.

From past experience I know that some of these activation procedures may be
a bit difficult if you do not master the local language, since all messages
coming back to you tend never (!) to be anything than what the natives
speak. Just buy a card anyway, it does not much matter which one, and have
somebody help you. Your hotel receptionist or really anybody will be happy
to help. You should be able to buy this already when arriving at CDG, and
they will certainly be able to help you there.

With a local card you do not pay roaming charges, which may be prohibitive.
The whole thing is really ludicrous. If somebody in France calls your
Australian phonenumber that call is first routed to your home network on the
other side of the planet and then back to France again.

Since the French phone company knows in the first place that the number in
question is a mobile phone number, they should be able to send a request to
the aussie network and ask where that the phone is currently located and
place the call directly there.

This is not the way GSM has been defined and how it works, and there are
probably economic reasons (how to make money) for that.

IH

change freejunk to freesurf for mail

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Lee BARRASS

I have bought an Orange SIM in the past (although I've let it expire) and
the Orange shop staff have been very accomodating in respect of getting it
to work.

Lee.

Old March 16th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Syrah

SFR do that, click :
http://www.sfr.com/en/index.jsp

Eric

Old March 16th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Yaofeng

If you have a tri-band phone, the cheapest way is to get a sim chip
locally with prepaid card. Was in Paris December. Found it cost like
$39 dollars to have that option. Since we were only staying for 5
days. We decided not to get it. The prepaid phone card and chip are
available in major train stations.

Old March 17th, 2004, 01:09 AM
ABC

Will be in Paris for a week in April.
I checked http://www.sfr.com/en/index.jsp and I get the impression
that I can
buy a "chip" (prepaid card) for my Nokia 6610 which I purchased in
Italy in 2002. I use the Wind service and have an Italy number.
Am I correct in assuming that the French "chip" will give me a French
number?
ABC

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Paul Ayling

For what it is worth, when I am in France I have a mobile phone, Orange,
and I get refills at a TABAC. They issue paper tickers which have the
number printed on them.

"Syrah" wrote in message ...

SFR do that, click :
http://www.sfr.com/en/index.jsp

Eric

.. .

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM
PB&JM

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL.

I have switched the Global roaming on (even though I expect problems) but
also will be taking the advice here and get a prepaid sim once i gethere.
Between both I should be able to get something happening LOL
Thanks again

Paul.