Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana, Has anyone been?

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Everyboysmomma[_1_]

Default Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana, Has anyone been?

We just got an amazing deal on a week at this resort. Has anyone been?
Anything special to look for or look out for? How is the food?
Thanks
Momma

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Mike

Everyboysmomma wrote:
We just got an amazing deal on a week at this resort. Has anyone been?
Anything special to look for or look out for? How is the food?
Thanks
Momma

Be careful....
We made reservations at the Bavaro specifically because of some of it's
activities/features. 3 days before departure our TA informed us that
the Bavaro was overbooked and we had been moved to the Melia Carib, whci
they considered an equivalent resort. It was not at all equivalent
resort for our purposes, but we had no choice and never got any
reasonable compensation for being bumped....
This may be a TA issue as much as the resort, but watch out.
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

My wife and I have been to Punta Cana twice, 3-4 years ago. Stayed at
the Barcelo Garden and the the Beach. Since there are 3-4 Barcelo ones
right together you can visit and eat and others besides the one you
are staying at.
Punta Cana is mainly beach resorts and airport nearby. The beaches are
beautiful.
We had heard that Montezuma's revenge was endemic on the island. Had
no problem the first time. I got it after 4 days and had to be
treated. They have a medical suite at the resort. Had to pay with a
credit card but got reimbursed due to travel health insurance. Normal
US health ins usually won't pay for treatment outside US. We never
travel w/o getting the insurance.
In general we had a good time in spite of the MR. Have no idea how I
got it. Drank bottled water, etc.
The food was good. The first time there they had a restaurant where
you could eat lobster every nite. The last time it was converted to a
steak house that was also excellent.
The service was superb the locals are genuinely friendly and hard
working. They had drink service to poolside. Since the resort is all
inclusive you're not paying all the time.
The resorts at PC are operated by large european resort companies like
Barcelo, Riu. There are many europeans there. In fact when we were
there americans were in the minority. Lots of canadians there also.
At the Barcelo Garden Resort there is a golf course, so weplayed
almost every day (except a couple when I got sick). The golf was
included. You must play early in the AM or in the evening as it gets
hot at mid day.
Anyway, you'll probably like it. There are similar resorts at Playa
Del Carmen which is the Mayan Riveria. These are newer and the
Playacar is a neat upscale place to walk around.