Toronto Train/ Bus Station Query

Old January 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

Default Toronto Train/ Bus Station Query

I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?
Also is there a Train station nearby?

Thanks!
--
Am I the only Gareth Slee?
http://garethslee.blogspot.com/
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Gareth Slee wrote:
I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?

The main Greyhound terminal is at 610 Bay street, 1.5 miles from your
hotel. - easy to get to on the subway (Tube)

Also is there a Train station nearby?

Union station, 65 Front Street West, is only a half mile from your hotel
It is also a major subway terminal.

From your hotel you can easily walk (few hundred yards) up to King St.
where you can take public transit a TTC street car to the subway or to
any major city location.

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames

Seinfeld Trivia, Lists, and Scripts
http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
===========================
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

Gareth Slee wrote:
I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?

The main Greyhound terminal is at 610 Bay street, 1.5 miles from your
hotel. - easy to get to on the subway (Tube)

Also is there a Train station nearby?

Union station, 65 Front Street West, is only a half mile from your hotel
It is also a major subway terminal.

From your hotel you can easily walk (few hundred yards) up to King St.
where you can take public transit a TTC street car to the subway or to
any major city location.

Thank you for that Mike.
Is Bay Street considered a safe area? I'll be arriving early evening at
Toronto.
Maybe safer to travel to the Greyhound terminal the following morning?
Is the local Taxi cab service reliable?

Old January 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Gareth Slee wrote:
Thank you for that Mike.
Is Bay Street considered a safe area?

Yes. Downtown Toronto is no problem.

I'll be arriving early evening at
Toronto.
Maybe safer to travel to the Greyhound terminal the following morning?

By the time you are checked to your downtown hotel you might be too
tired to venture out - remember the time zone change, too.

Is the local Taxi cab service reliable?

Yes. There are a lot of taxis around the hotels in the tourist area you
will be in.

--
===========================

Old January 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

Gareth Slee wrote:
Thank you for that Mike.
Is Bay Street considered a safe area?

Yes. Downtown Toronto is no problem.

I'll be arriving early evening at
Toronto.
Maybe safer to travel to the Greyhound terminal the following morning?

By the time you are checked to your downtown hotel you might be too
tired to venture out - remember the time zone change, too.

Is the local Taxi cab service reliable?

Yes. There are a lot of taxis around the hotels in the tourist area you
will be in.

Thanks again Mike!
I'll take your advice and purchase the bus tickets the following
morning. We're going to the Canon Theatre that night and I understand
it's quite close to the bus station?

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

Gareth Slee wrote:

I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?
Also is there a Train station nearby?

The train station is quite close to your hotel, but unless your destination
is on the main corridors you are probably better off taking the bus.
Canadian rail service is infrequent and usually runs late. Bus service is
much more frequent and tends to run on time.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

Dave Smith wrote:

Gareth Slee wrote:

I'm staying at Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
which is on 255 Wellington Street West Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P9.

How far is it to the closest bus station where I can purchase Greyhound
tickets?
Also is there a Train station nearby?

The train station is quite close to your hotel, but unless your destination
is on the main corridors you are probably better off taking the bus.
Canadian rail service is infrequent and usually runs late. Bus service is
much more frequent and tends to run on time.

Well I'm looking to travel to Niagara and then onto Cleveland OH.
I'm hoping the buses won't be fully booked for my dates (10th Feb and
12th Feb) .

Old January 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

Gareth Slee wrote:

The train station is quite close to your hotel, but unless your destination
is on the main corridors you are probably better off taking the bus.
Canadian rail service is infrequent and usually runs late. Bus service is
much more frequent and tends to run on time.

Well I'm looking to travel to Niagara and then onto Cleveland OH.
I'm hoping the buses won't be fully booked for my dates (10th Feb and
12th Feb) .

There are only 2 or 3 trains each day from Toronto to Niagara Falls. Buses
run almost hourly. The Niagara Falls train and bus stations are across the
street from each other, in the old downtown business area, which is pretty
seedy. It is about 2 miles down river from the falls.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

Dave Smith wrote:

The Niagara Falls train and bus stations are across the
street from each other, in the old downtown business area, which is pretty
seedy. It is about 2 miles down river from the falls.

Any idea what would be the best way to get from the bus station to the
Sheraton On The Falls Hotel?

Old January 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

Gareth Slee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

The Niagara Falls train and bus stations are across the
street from each other, in the old downtown business area, which is pretty
seedy. It is about 2 miles down river from the falls.

Any idea what would be the best way to get from the bus station to the
Sheraton On The Falls Hotel?

Usually when you have luggage to deal with taxi is the way to go. It is a
short ride so it should not cost much, possible cheaper for 2 or more
people than to pay separate fares on the bus. If you are up to walking it
you just head over to the river and turn right towards the falls. I paced
it out on Google Maps and it seems to be just over one kilometre, and it is
a scenic walk along the edge of the gorge.

If you want to check it out on Google Maps, the bus terminal is on Bridge
St. about 250m west of the river. The Whirlpool Bridge to the US is at the
end of the street. Your hotel is in Falls Ave, right by the entrance to
the Rainbow Bridge to the US.