Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ami

Default Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui

Hi all

I'm going to Bangkok(3 days), Chiang Mai (4 days) and Koh Samui (7
days) in late May. I know there's a lot to see, no problems on that
are. But as I have way too little time and definately want to make the
most of it, I'd like to know what I can leave out and what I
absolutely must NOT leave out of my program. So if you know any
must-sees or must-dos, please let me know. Thanks.

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Ami
says...
Hi all

I'm going to Bangkok(3 days), Chiang Mai (4 days) and Koh Samui (7
days) in late May. I know there's a lot to see, no problems on that
are. But as I have way too little time and definately want to make the
most of it, I'd like to know what I can leave out and what I
absolutely must NOT leave out of my program. So if you know any
must-sees or must-dos, please let me know. Thanks.

Your trip is ok. If you had more time you should visit Sukhotai and
Ayutthaya, two ancient royal capitals.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:44 PM
GeoffB

"supman" mentioned...

Best to see is the hill tribe people.

Yes - they can be incredibly welcoming and gracious, but to get a real taste
of their culture and lives you need to go with a local rather than the
'tourist' set. Which is hard to do on a first or short visit.

So, Ami, I'm not trying to say that you should not go, but remember that if
you return at some future time without the 'guides', you'll probably see a
different and more natural side of them 8¬ )

I would, as usual, recommend that you don't eat in restaurants, but try the
street-side shops/stalls. There's good food to be had in CM in the evening
between Th. Ratchaphakhinai and Moon Muang, in the Th. Ratwithi area (like a
big open-air cafe - I remember there being an "Irish" pub just behind me
when I first ate there . . . . I hope I'm right in placing it, but I never
pay much attention to street names !!).

A shame you don't have more time to explore the region while you are there -
it has some stunning scenery.

Have fun,

________
Geoff B

Old February 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
PeterL

"Ami" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

I'm going to Bangkok(3 days), Chiang Mai (4 days) and Koh Samui (7
days) in late May. I know there's a lot to see, no problems on that
are. But as I have way too little time and definately want to make the
most of it, I'd like to know what I can leave out and what I
absolutely must NOT leave out of my program. So if you know any
must-sees or must-dos, please let me know. Thanks.

In Bangkok get a river boat tour and see the Royal yachts museum and the
temple of dawn. Takes you half a day and it's worth it.

Old February 24th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Bangkok: Must sees are the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Emerald
Buddha, Wat Po with its giant reclining Buddha, and a boat trip up a
canal. The Lak Muang Shrine, Wat Traimit and Wat Arun are also worth
seeing if you have the time. I've heard good things about the national
museum but haven't been. The Chinatown is very interesting also - it's
a real Chinese community that has been in Bangkok for 200 years, and is
nothing like the tourist trap Chinatowns in US cities.

If anyone offers to be your guide, decline immediately. Many of them
just want to scam you, or at best will just waste your time taking you
to stores where they get a commission. If you want a real guide,
arrange one with your hotel or go to the tourist office.

Make sure you wear a money belt. Pickpocketing is a problem.

Bangkok is a great place to buy inexpensive tailored clothes, but if
you buy electronics or gems make sure you know what you are doing since
there are a lot of scams.

As for things to skip: Any floating market near Bangkok is a tourist
trap and is not authentic. If you want to see one anyway for the photo
opportunity, go ahead, but recognize that it's fake. I thought Thai
boxing was really boring, but some people apparently enjoy it. The
Khao San Road is the center of the backpacker scene and is full of
Westerners killing time watching DVDs in outdoor restaurants while they
wait for flights or visas - there are much more rewarding places to
spend your short stay in Bangkok so I wouldn't go there at all.

Unless you want to go trekking, you should consider Angkor Wat instead
of Chiang Mai.

Old February 24th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Mister Max

posted:

Bangkok: Must sees are the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Emerald
Buddha, Wat Po with its giant reclining Buddha, and a boat trip up a
canal. The Lak Muang Shrine, Wat Traimit and Wat Arun are also worth
seeing if you have the time. I've heard good things about the national
museum but haven't been. The Chinatown is very interesting also - it's
a real Chinese community that has been in Bangkok for 200 years, and is
nothing like the tourist trap Chinatowns in US cities.

The flower market is next to Chinatown, and better. The flowers are
beautiful (and amazingly cheap) while most of the merchandise in the
Chinatown markets is pretty junky. The wedding supplies, though, were
interesting. And the huge candles! We went on Sunday; both were crowded.
By afternoon the pedestrian street in Chinatown was so jammed it was
impassable. There's also a food market beyond (upstream) from the flower
market.

Another Sunday "must" is the special Sunday night market on the main
street in Chiang Mai. Early, it's an interesting mix of tourists and
locals; later the tourists are gone.

If anyone offers to be your guide, decline immediately. Many of them
just want to scam you,

Right.

In Samui, there isn't much but beach. One big Buddha, but it doesn't
compare to the ones in Bangkok mentioned above.
--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/ -
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de
France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Viviane

Chiang Mai - go to the hill tribes and up to Mae Sai (I assume it's safe at
the moment) which is the northern most part of Thailand and on the border
with Burma. Beautiful and fascinating.

Bangkok - go to Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun. Do a river tour - there's a
boat you can jump on and off (Chao Praya express) and see the sights near
the river). Take a day trip to Ayuthaya - it's a wonderful day and you go
by bus and come back along the river.

Samui - do a tour of the island (about 1/2 day) and that will give you an
idea of what you want to see in more detail. It's more a place for
relaxing. Eat on the beach in the evening.

Old February 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Ami

Mister Max wrote in message .97.136...
posted:

[...]

I'll definately go to the river thing and the flower market, sounds
really cool, thanks, both of you.