SEABOURN smoking policy - unacceptable

Old March 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
its_my_dime

Default SEABOURN smoking policy - unacceptable

We just returned from a cruise on the Seabourn Legend. While the ship
deserves its high marks for food and service, we gave it the minimum overall
grade because of its smoking policy.

Smoking on the Seabourn is ALLOWED:

In 1/3 of all lounges, even during performances.
In part of the main dining room at dinner.
Anywhere in the outside Skybar.
Anywhere on deck including the deck chair area.
Anywhere in the usually overcrowded outside Veranda dining area during
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The latter is the most annoying because it is possible to wedge into two
remaining seats, only to find that there are smokers either next to or
upwind from you.

The Hotel Manager said that the ship has no control over the smoking policy
and to contact the home office; but other passengers indicated that this has
been done by others many times and the policy won't be changed.

So, if you (or if you are a travel agent, your clients) really don't like
second hand smoke, then perhaps Seabourn is not the cruise line for you.

Too bad.

Old March 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:17:39 GMT, its_my_dime wrote:

Smoking on the Seabourn is ALLOWED:

In 1/3 of all lounges, even during performances.
In part of the main dining room at dinner.
Anywhere in the outside Skybar.
Anywhere on deck including the deck chair area.
Anywhere in the usually overcrowded outside Veranda dining area during
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you. I was looking for a reason to cross them off my list.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:40 AM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:30:04 GMT, Darth Ferret wrote:

Amusing. Inane, but amusing.

So is your posting info.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:38 AM
Dave

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:30:04 GMT, Darth Ferret wrote:

Amusing. Inane, but amusing.

So is your posting info.

And so are most of your posts.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:39 AM
Dave

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:03:09 -0000, Dave wrote:

Smoking on the Seabourn is ALLOWED:

In 1/3 of all lounges, even during performances.
In part of the main dining room at dinner.
Anywhere in the outside Skybar.
Anywhere on deck including the deck chair area.
Anywhere in the usually overcrowded outside Veranda dining area during
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you. I was looking for a reason to cross them off my list.

And I was looking for a reason to add them to mine.

Then you should be a happy cancer customer. Enjoy.

Oh I will.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Lloyd Parsons

Add the cranberry scare of many years ago and red dye #something...

I make it a habit to eat the things I like and to hell with worrying about
everything the various reports tells me are bad for me.

Lloyd

On 3/22/05 8:32 AM, in article , "Charlie
Funk" wrote:

smoking and health

Where will all this end? First, caffeine was bad for you and then it was
suggested that the increased metabolism from caffeine was beneficial to
losing weight. Vitamin E in large doses was said to be good for the heart
but now it is believed to cause small capillary hemorrhaging. Fat was bad
but then it was good as long as you don't eat carbs. Milk was good but then
it was bad. Eggs too.

I'm waiting for lard and nicotine to get back on the Surgeon General's "must
have" list and then it's Katy bar the door.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
its_my_dime

--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus
"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:17:39 GMT, its_my_dime wrote:

Smoking on the Seabourn is ALLOWED:

In 1/3 of all lounges, even during performances.
In part of the main dining room at dinner.
Anywhere in the outside Skybar.
Anywhere on deck including the deck chair area.
Anywhere in the usually overcrowded outside Veranda dining area during
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you. I was looking for a reason to cross them off my list.

Sorry, Charlie, but you have conveniently changed the subject. This isn't
about health. It is about the fact that many non smokers find the smell
offensive. As more and more public spaces ban smoking, even one smoker
anywhere in the room stands out.

So, you CAN sit next to me on the Seabourn and eat or drink whatever you
choose and as much as you like. Even if it kills you. You CANNOT sit next
to me, or for that matter, be in the same lounge or restaurant, and let
smoke from your cigarette drift into the air and across my face.

Clear?

Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:17:39 GMT, its_my_dime wrote:

Smoking on the Seabourn is ALLOWED:

In 1/3 of all lounges, even during performances.
In part of the main dining room at dinner.
Anywhere in the outside Skybar.
Anywhere on deck including the deck chair area.
Anywhere in the usually overcrowded outside Veranda dining area during
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message

Thank you. I was looking for a reason to cross them off my list.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:40:23 GMT, its_my_dime wrote:

Sorry, Charlie Funk, but you have conveniently changed the subject. This isn't
about health. It is about the fact that many non smokers find the smell
offensive. As more and more public spaces ban smoking, even one smoker
anywhere in the room stands out.

It's about health *and* right to breath(e) for me.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
its_my_dime

[...]

Chrissy:

You will never convince a die-hard (pun intended) smoker that he (or she)
does not have the absolute right to pollute the air in an entire dining room
or lounge as long as the smoking "policy" allows it. It is futile to even
try.

What you need to do is to convince the "suits" at Seabourn that smoking has
no place (except in some obscure outside corner) on an otherwise luxury
cruise ship.

I suspect that a comment or a low rating on the evolution questionnaire is
private and easily ignored by Seabourn.. However, a web posting that pops
up every time someone searches for "Seabourn Cruises" that exposes their
anachronistic smoking policy for all to see and evaluate may just have a
slight impact which is why I started this thread.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Charles

In article , its_my_dime
wrote:

Sorry, Charlie, but you have conveniently changed the subject. This isn't
about health. It is about the fact that many non smokers find the smell
offensive. As more and more public spaces ban smoking, even one smoker
anywhere in the room stands out.

It is more than just smell. It is about health. Second hand smoke is
dangerous. And the latest study indicates it increases the risk of
breast cancer. It is one thing when smokers are harming themselves,
another when the smoke is harming others. It is time ot ban smoking in
any public area on cruise ships.

--
Charles